Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Post Reply
User avatar
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by JohnFante »

It is NOT a complaint :-)

Just curious to why 3D acceleration is not supported on Radeon SI graphics cards on PPC linux. And if there are any signs that this will happend down the road.

It has maybe been covered before and in this case sorry in advance!

Thank you in advance!
X5000 :-)
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6440
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by xeno74 »

JohnFante wrote:It is NOT a complaint :-)

Just curious to why 3D acceleration is not supported on Radeon SI graphics cards on PPC linux. And if there are any signs that this will happend down the road.

It has maybe been covered before and in this case sorry in advance!

Thank you in advance!
See the following threads:
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by JohnFante »

So in short it is caused by primarly this:

Glamor Crashes on big endian Hardware https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99859

The thread is from 2017 and no solution is in sight .... as far as I can read on a quick glance.

Ok. Thank you for the reply :-). I am keeping my fingers crossed for a solution.

And thank you for all your work for PPC linux.
X5000 :-)
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6440
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

If you use a Radeon SI graphics card then please try the following xorg.conf:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Identifier  "Card0"
EndSection
Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by JohnFante »

xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

If you use a Radeon SI graphics card then please try the following xorg.conf:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Identifier  "Card0"
EndSection
Cheers,
Christian
Will do. Is it important what kernel is used?
X5000 :-)
User avatar
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by JohnFante »

xeno74 wrote:Hi All,

If you use a Radeon SI graphics card then please try the following xorg.conf:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Identifier  "Card0"
EndSection
Cheers,
Christian
I have tested with a fully updated Fienix and kernel 5.3. I am sorry to say that it does not work with a solo Radeon SI card.

Here is the xorg.conf before I rebooted: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vp6bhcndzl1e ... .jpeg?dl=0

Here is the result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p16wi7phmxx42 ... .jpeg?dl=0

I can not get past the white screen.

I will try adding my Firepro to see if that helps.
X5000 :-)
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6440
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by xeno74 »

JohnFante wrote: I have tested with a fully updated Fienix and kernel 5.3. I am sorry to say that it does not work with a solo Radeon SI card.
It works here with a Radeon R7 240 and with the xorg.conf above.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
JohnFante
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by JohnFante »

xeno74 wrote:
JohnFante wrote: I have tested with a fully updated Fienix and kernel 5.3. I am sorry to say that it does not work with a solo Radeon SI card.
It works here with a Radeon R7 240 and with the xorg.conf above.
I have a R9 270X 2GB installed in mine. Strange! :?:

The R7 240 and the R9 270X should be the same architecture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_series
X5000 :-)
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6440
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Why is Radeon SI graphics cards not 3D supported?

Post by xeno74 »

JohnFante wrote: I have a R9 270X 2GB installed in mine. Strange! :?:

The R7 240 and the R9 270X should be the same architecture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_series
Please try the following xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "fbdev"
EndSection
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Post Reply