X5040 Sapphire Radeon R9 280x

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amiganut

X5040 Sapphire Radeon R9 280x

Post by amiganut »

I am having an OpenGL issue with my Sapphire Radeon R9 280x video card. I have the latest Enhancer 2.2 CD installed. First, the OS sees it as 7900 Series card and according to Ranger, it is using PCIGraphics.card 53.18 and CHIP: RadeonHD.chip 3.7

I notice a couple issues with OpenGL. First, the BoingBall screen saver does not work and if I try to run Celestia I get "Could not create an OpenGL window/context". If I try it on any of the MiniGL demos, I get the same error.

I searched OS4Depot and found minigl4gl4es. I replaced the minigl.library and mglut.library.

Using minigl4gl4es, Celestia will load and come up to the "Welcome to Celestia" and gives me a Grim Reaper of ISI. I noticed if I go to Blanker Prefs, Boing Ball screen saver is working in demo but if I click to another saver, I get a Grim Reaper , DSI and module new.library.kmod. If I try any of the original minigl demos they will play but will crash with a grim reaper as well.

However using the original minigl ver 2.24 and mglut libraries ver 2.24, I can run GIExcess_X5000, Cube-textured and ASE Loader-EGL_Warp no problem. All Warp3DNova demos work. Celestia says it requires OpenGL 2.1. Is there some adjustment I can make in Prefs-EGL_Warp?
khayoz

Re: X5040 Sapphire Radeon R9 280x

Post by khayoz »

Solution to BoingBall screen saver - Open "Screen Saver" Prefs - then choose "Boing Ball" - Below Author: Costel Mincea theres a button - "Module settings" ( I think, I'm on Swedish locale) - Click it and a new window pops up - In the bottom of that screen theres a screen mode button - click it and select prefered screen mode - click ok - then click "Test Fullscreen" - if it works click "Save", if not select another screenmode and test again until you find a working screenmode then Save..

My ASUS Radeon R9 280X is also reported as Radeon HD 7900 in Ranger so it's all good and normal.

After installing Enhancer Software 2.2 I had a lot of strange behaviour, apps and games stopped working, popup menus didn't work,
still dont know which part of ES.2.2 is to blame, did 48h of AmigaOS 4.1FE upd.2/ES2.2 reinstalls disabling parts of the ES2.2 installer each time and finally got a stable Workbench...
1989--> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Amy-ITXv1.6, Amy-ITXv1.8, A500 rev8A & rev8A.1 <--2022