X5000 died

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Re: X5000 died

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 am The X5000 must be between five and six years old. The PSU is an EVGA 550W, with a bunch of model etc. numbers.
EVGA seems to have very wide range of models, what comes to the quality and price. If it is on the low end of the range then the warranty time is most probably over. But on the bright side... Then it is also probable that it is indeed the PSU which has died and not your valuable Cyrus board!
Indeed, detaching the cable from the MB looks hairy. I've tried pulling pretty hard, but it probably wouldn't take much more to break the MB. I was able to get a very small screw driver between one end of the plug and socket and tried twisting it back and forth, but no luck. This afternoon I removed everything from the board and then nine sometimes recalcitrant screws--had to take out the hard drive to get a one of the screws with a big-enough screwdriver--and was finally able to stand the board on its side and look under it. But I still have to figure out how to get enough slack in that cable to do anything. It goes in and out holes in the platform the board was attached to. I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm not so pooped. Maybe I could get a small cutting board in there to put the motherboard on if I can't get it out to the table.
Yes, it is wise to go forward slowly... I think you should not try to do anything more with the mobo until you have examined the PSU and found out how it is cabled. If it is fully modular, you do not need yet to remove the cable from the mobo.
I wonder how the PSU ends of the cables are attached. Will I have to buy a replacement with all those cables already on it?
In EVGA's cheapest PSU models all cables are fixed, you cannot remove any of them from the unit. In that case you can see that all the cables are coming out as a singe bunch through one hole in the PSUs wall.

But if it is half or full modular, then there should be rectangular sockets into which the cables are attached. Please scroll through the pictures of this product: https://www.jimms.fi/en/Product/Show/17 ... onze-musta . It is a half modular model where only the wide ATX connector for MB is fixed. All others can be detached. Those detachable cables have a simple locking hook, which you have to press while starting to pull the connector out.

The new PSUs come always with a full set of cables, but it is possible that also the old ones work with the new ones (speaking of modular models, of course), at least within the same brand. I have currently two new Seasonic Platinum PSUs in my machines, and the cables are identical and interchangeable between an older PSU which I used previously.
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Also, there is normally a latch clip on the long plug where the cable connects to the motherboard, make sure you press that to release it while trying to pull the plug out.

See e.g. here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... rd.250775/ (scroll down for a picture, although not very clear).

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am Also, there is normally a latch clip on the long plug where the cable connects to the motherboard, make sure you press that to release it while trying to pull the plug out.
Niels
Thanks for that, Niels. There is indeed a clip, to pull, not push, that I might not have noticed unless I looked from behind.

I wanted to post a picture. My plug and socket look very different from the ones in the picture you linked. But I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," even though I have deleted all my previous photos but one! Maybe "board limit" doesn't mean my board limit. In any event, that made it possible to remove the PSU. Next I have to try to figure out how to test it, like where should I expect to find what voltages. I guess I'll set the parameters high at first, and see if anything happens.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I would suggest just buying a new PSU.
Even the slightest chance of killing your 1500 Dollar Cyrus board is something i would not risk.
My X5000 came shipped with a PSU like this... https://www.goldfries.com/hardware-revi ... it-review/

Not very expensive and might solve your issue..
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Roland wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 amI think you should not try to do anything more with the mobo until you have examined the PSU and found out how it is cabled. If it is fully modular, you do not need yet to remove the cable from the mobo.

In EVGA's cheapest PSU models all cables are fixed, you cannot remove any of them from the unit. In that case you can see that all the cables are coming out as a singe bunch through one hole in the PSUs wall.
Maybe I should have determined how the PSU is cabled but though I think it must be the fixed cable kind. I want to peek inside later to make absolutely sure, but I had to disconnect it from the mobo to get a really clear look at it. I wanted to add a picture showing the batch of fat cables coming out an opening in the back, but Hyperion won't let me and I don't yet know how to get at my web site from the Windows laptop I am currently forced to use.

If replacing the PSU turns out to be the fix, I'm going to have a real job figuring out where to attach all those cables I had to loosen or remove. :-) :-(
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 pmI wanted to post a picture. My plug and socket look very different from the ones in the picture you linked. But I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," even though I have deleted all my previous photos but one! Maybe "board limit" doesn't mean my board limit.
Or maybe your picture is too big, you could try scaling it down.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Skateman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 pm I would suggest just buying a new PSU.
Even the slightest chance of killing your 1500 Dollar Cyrus board is something i would not risk.
Much like the advice I had been giving myself and I hope I haven't shorted anything out on that board. But I think if/when I get a new PSU I'm also going to have to figure out how to cable it, and I needed to detach the cable from the mobo to get at the PSU and I doubt I could have done that without removing the board and getting space to work on the cable. Now I wonder if I could have, but it seems I needed to pry the cable from behind.

I've had 45 fun years with Amigas and the linuxes that ran from some of them, anyway.
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 pm I wanted to post a picture. My plug and socket look very different from the ones in the picture you linked. But I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," even though I have deleted all my previous photos but one! Maybe "board limit" doesn't mean my board limit. In any event, that made it possible to remove the PSU. Next I have to try to figure out how to test it, like where should I expect to find what voltages. I guess I'll set the parameters high at first, and see if anything happens.
You can mail the picture directly to me (I will soon send a PM with my mail address). If you have also some picture showing the inside of your case please send it, too.

So, your old PSU is now totally disconnected? The simplest way to check that the problem is indeed in it (and not on the Cyrus board!) is to connect e.g. a fan or mechanical harddisk on it, and turn it on.

Can you still figure how to connect your case's fans to the PSU? If your case is the usual Fractal Design Core 3300 or 2500 used in ready-built X5000s, all the fans should have been collected to a single, old style 4-pin molex connector.

If the PSU is indeed dead, then the next step is to consider a replacement PSU. I would recommend a high quality, fully modular unit, with 7-10 year's warranty! They may cost a few tens of dollars more than the chepest ones, but they will probably save you from future problems.

My suggestion would be a Seasonic Focus PX-550, which is fully modular and have 10 year's warranty. It is Platinum certified (92% energy effiency at 50% load). It should be available from most mail order shops, and you may find it at good price if doing some comparisons. I have currently one in a X5000, and can give advice about cabling if needed.
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Roland wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 amSo, your old PSU is now totally disconnected? The simplest way to check that the problem is indeed in it (and not on the Cyrus board!) is to connect e.g. a fan or mechanical harddisk on it, and turn it on.

Can you still figure how to connect your case's fans to the PSU? If your case is the usual Fractal Design Core 3300 or 2500 used in ready-built X5000s, all the fans should have been collected to a single, old style 4-pin molex connector.
My intent to follow those instructions seems to have been nipped in the bud. Each of the three fans has its own connector on the motherboard, and nothing from the PSU will connect with them. No sense in plugging one of them back into the MB and connecting that to the PSU. I already know the fans don't work that way. Nor can I see an obvious way to connect my hard drive (a "mechanical harddisk"?). I tried poking some of the cable ends with a voltmeter, but that won't work unless I accidentally poke a ground with one probe. I have no idea what should be a ground.

I now plan to order a new PSU and start figuring out how to put the rest of the thing back together while I wait for it.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

If needed and you have a device available, we can have some form of a videocall..
Replacing the PSU is easy and i can talk you though the process if you like.

Dave
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full