X5000 died

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

X5000 died

Post by kilaueabart »

I was reading my digital newspaper when all of a sudden the screen went black. No lights, no fan spinning, nothing inside the box.

Not sure what to do. I guess I'll try to remove the power supply and check it out, but those fat cables scare me.

Maybe my AOS life only lasted 45 years?
Raziel

Re: X5000 died

Post by Raziel »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :-(

That sounds like it popped something (or, as you said, the PSU died, but why all of a sudden?)

Does AOtL still exist? Does he do repairs or at least checks?

Don't give up yet
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I haven't tried calling AoTL yet, but the fact that they don't even sell X5000s anymore is discouraging.

Roland at Linux Only suggested "It is also possible that there is somewhere a short circuit which causes your powersupply to cut itself automatically off. I had once a short in a scanner cable, and if it was connected to the controller board, the PSU turned itself immediately off. The machine was totally out of life untill I disconnected the cable."

I tried disconnecting everything from the board, the top side at least, but it still wouldn't come on. I guess I'll start taking things apart. It doesn't look like I have anything to lose now. I used to love getting at the innards of computers, but that was 20~40 years ago before senility set in.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Taking it apart would be a start.

I don't think you'll ever get too old to tinker with your hobbies. :-)

Just make a list of what you removed, number the screws and small parts and store them in a safe place.

Wish you the best of luck
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
trixie

Post by trixie »

@kilauaebart

If the problem appeared so suddenly and in the middle of using the computer, my first look would go to the PSU. I hope it's something as simple as that, because I'm not sure there's any X5000 repairs service available. (At least I haven't heard of anyone who's got their X5000 fixed by AmigaKit or similar.)
Last edited by trixie on Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Post by trixie »

(double post)
Last edited by trixie on Tue May 17, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
trixie

Post by trixie »

(and triple)
Last edited by trixie on Tue May 17, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rear Window blog

trixie

Post by trixie »

(gosh, what's wrong with this?)
The Rear Window blog

Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:45 pm I haven't tried calling AoTL yet, but the fact that they don't even sell X5000s anymore is discouraging.
How old is your X5000, and what PSU does it have? The warranty time of high quality PSUs is nowadays quite long (5-10 years), and even if the warranty of your Cyrus+ board were already over, you might still get the PSU repaired or changed under warranty.
I tried disconnecting everything from the board, the top side at least, but it still wouldn't come on. I guess I'll start taking things apart. It doesn't look like I have anything to lose now. I used to love getting at the innards of computers, but that was 20~40 years ago before senility set in.
I suppose the most 'unpleasant' phase is to detache the MB power cable as the connector can be very tight... (unless you happen to have a full-modular PSU in which all cables are socketed and can can removed easily, without need to touch the other end of cables to 'free' the PSU) I have always hated that operation, and like to do it by removing first the whole MB from the case and then do the detachment on a table, very slowly and carefully.
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Roland wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:50 pm How old is your X5000, and what PSU does it have? The warranty time of high quality PSUs is nowadays quite long (5-10 years), and even if the warranty of your Cyrus+ board were already over, you might still get the PSU repaired or changed under warranty.
The X5000 must be between five and six years old. The PSU is an EVGA 550W, with a bunch of model etc. numbers.
I suppose the most 'unpleasant' phase is to detache the MB power cable as the connector can be very tight... (unless you happen to have a full-modular PSU in which all cables are socketed and can can removed easily, without need to touch the other end of cables to 'free' the PSU) I have always hated that operation, and like to do it by removing first the whole MB from the case and then do the detachment on a table, very slowly and carefully.
Indeed, detaching the cable from the MB looks hairy. I've tried pulling pretty hard, but it probably wouldn't take much more to break the MB. I was able to get a very small screw driver between one end of the plug and socket and tried twisting it back and forth, but no luck. This afternoon I removed everything from the board and then nine sometimes recalcitrant screws--had to take out the hard drive to get a one of the screws with a big-enough screwdriver--and was finally able to stand the board on its side and look under it. But I still have to figure out how to get enough slack in that cable to do anything. It goes in and out holes in the platform the board was attached to. I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm not so pooped. Maybe I could get a small cutting board in there to put the motherboard on if I can't get it out to the table.

I wonder how the PSU ends of the cables are attached. Will I have to buy a replacement with all those cables already on it?

I appreciate your encouragement and from a couple others to my post for help.