X5000 died

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Re: X5000 died

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:45 pm ...It belatedly occurred to me that I could dd with my Raspberry Pi, so I have just tried that. But I'm no longer smart enough to figure out how to do it.

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi $ dd if=MUTUAL/Cyrus_5020_uboot_22102018/X5000_UB00T_Recovery_22-10-18.img of=/media/pi/6431-3338/
dd: failed to open '/media/pi/6431-3338/': Is a directory

I need to give the output file a name, apparently. I tried using the same "Cyrus_5020...img" name and it worked, but is that name OK? I have rm'ed it for now.
What operating system does your Raspberry Pi have, is it some sort of Linux?

With 'dd' the target (of=) disk has to be input as a 'hardware address', in the form '/dev/sdx', where 'x' is a letter specific for each disk. You do not need any filename!

In Linux you can check the available disks (and partitions) in terminal window e.g. with the command 'lsblk':

Code: Select all

~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk 
├─sda1        8:1    0  1000M  0 part 
├─sda2        8:2    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda3        8:3    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda4        8:4    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda5        8:5    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda6        8:6    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda7        8:7    0   9.8G  0 part 
├─sda8        8:8    0   9.8G  0 part /
├─sda9        8:9    0   9.8G  0 part 
└─sda10       8:10   0   9.8G  0 part 
sdb           8:16   0 111.8G  0 disk 
├─sdb1        8:17   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb2        8:18   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb3        8:19   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb4        8:20   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb5        8:21   0     2G  0 part 
├─sdb6        8:22   0     2G  0 part 
├─sdb7        8:23   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb8        8:24   0     1G  0 part 
├─sdb9        8:25   0     2G  0 part 
├─sdb10       8:26   0     3G  0 part 
├─sdb11       8:27   0     2G  0 part 
├─sdb12       8:28   0     4G  0 part 
├─sdb13       8:29   0     4G  0 part 
├─sdb14       8:30   0     1M  0 part 
├─sdb15       8:31   0     1G  0 part 
└─sdb16     259:0    0    30G  0 part 
sdc           8:32   0 149.1G  0 disk 
├─sdc1        8:33   0     5G  0 part 
├─sdc2        8:34   0    10G  0 part 
├─sdc3        8:35   0    10G  0 part 
└─sdc4        8:36   0   100G  0 part
In that listing there are three disks which could be used with dd (of=): /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc . Just be be careful that you choose the right one and do not copy the image on your computers own hard disk! That would destroy the contents of it...

Note: those /dev/sdx definitions may vary depending on whether you connect your removable disks before or after booting your machine, or if you remove and reconnect them! So, do the the checking with 'lsblk' just before you run 'dd'.
- Roland -
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Here the link to the rufus website https://rufus.ie/en/

Dont give up... you are close with the DD as well.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Wow, over two months since I have been back here. I've been discouraged and pessimistic, and busy with other things, such as adjusting to life with a Windows laptop. I mentioned previously that I had copied the new boot file to a new micro SD card, then deleted it because I had not dd'ed it properly named. But it turns out that for some reason there is still a lot of stuff on that card, as can be seen in this screenshot. Any ideas about where that could have come from?
thatfile.png
Now I want to get rid of that, presumably by reformatting the card, but I'm getting so stupid in my old age the only way I know to do that is with GParted from my RaspberryPi. Although I was still using that app as recently as June, I can't get on because I have forgotten my password. Apparently there are ways to do it from a terminal as well, but believe it or not I have also forgotten my Pi root password! (Or could it be "root"?)

I have finally downloaded Rufus to my laptop as Dave Skateman suggested, but it doesn't look like it does formatting.
Of course I could have bought new micro SD cards several times in the weeks I have wasted.
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:23 am Wow, over two months since I have been back here. I've been discouraged and pessimistic, and busy with other things, such as adjusting to life with a Windows laptop. I mentioned previously that I had copied the new boot file to a new micro SD card, then deleted it because I had not dd'ed it properly named. But it turns out that for some reason there is still a lot of stuff on that card, as can be seen in this screenshot. Any ideas about where that could have come from?

Now I want to get rid of that, presumably by reformatting the card, but I'm getting so stupid in my old age the only way I know to do that is with GParted from my RaspberryPi. Although I was still using that app as recently as June, I can't get on because I have forgotten my password. Apparently there are ways to do it from a terminal as well, but believe it or not I have also forgotten my Pi root password! (Or could it be "root"?)
If you do a full-disk copy (not just a single partition) with 'dd ', as is the case when you copy the U-Boot image on a SD card, you do not need to do any reformatting or data removal steps for it. Just run the dd again with correct parameters ("sudo dd if=path/filename of=/dev/sdx", where 'x' is the letter identifying the wanted target disk). Whatever has earlier put on the sd card should then disappear. Just like when you use the 'diskcopy' command on classic Amigas.
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I seemed to be successful with the dd'ing of a file named X5000_UB00T_Recovery_22-10=18.img to /dev/sdb. After a while the terminal reported a big number of bytes in and the same number out, and stopped. I am a little disturbed that GParted sees that partition as "unallocated," with something like 2.73 or 3.73 GiB in it. Does GParted recognize .img files as such? At least that /dev/sdb1 with the content I posted last time is gone.

Anyway, I plugged it in to the X5000 and turned the machine on. Same result as always. When I turn the power on, two LEDs, one red, one green, come on. When I click the Start button on top, both machine fans front and back start to spin for a couple seconds. No reaction from the mother board fan. The two LEDs stay on but that's it.

I am left to wonder. Bad file on the sd card after all? When I ask Windows to look at the if, I'm told it is corrupted. Or was that .img file never the problem in the first place?
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:51 am I seemed to be successful with the dd'ing of a file named X5000_UB00T_Recovery_22-10=18.img to /dev/sdb. After a while the terminal reported a big number of bytes in and the same number out, and stopped. I am a little disturbed that GParted sees that partition as "unallocated," with something like 2.73 or 3.73 GiB in it. Does GParted recognize .img files as such? At least that /dev/sdb1 with the content I posted last time is gone.
That is perfectly normal... There are no partitions with recognizable filesystems on the BootSD, just some binary code which the bootloader of X5000 can read directly from a certain location on the SD. Thus, your BootSD is probably ok.
Anyway, I plugged it in to the X5000 and turned the machine on. Same result as always. When I turn the power on, two LEDs, one red, one green, come on. When I click the Start button on top, both machine fans front and back start to spin for a couple seconds. No reaction from the mother board fan. The two LEDs stay on but that's it.
That's sad news... There is probably the same hardware issue which many other X5000 users has encountered, without finding a fix for it. That would need some help from the manufacturer of Cyrus boards... (Varisys, but I do not know how to contact them) In principle, your dealer should arrange the repair but I do not know whether that works in the real world. You could also try to contact directy Trevor Dickinson from A-Eon.
I am left to wonder. Bad file on the sd card after all? When I ask Windows to look at the if, I'm told it is corrupted. Or was that .img file never the problem in the first place?
Yes, the issue seems not to be related to the Uboot itself. Unfortunately, as that would have been much easier to cure.
- Roland -