X5000 died

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: X5000 died

Post by nbache »

When I had that issue with my X5k recently (that the microSD card needed redoing), it showed a message on the screen that it couldn't find any source to boot from. Do you see anything like that? Or maybe on the serial link if you are able to establish one?

BTW, I have - inspired by Skateman - bought a microSD extension lead so I can exchange cards without opening the case - highly recommended. Of course you still need to make sure the inside end of the extension is seated properly and unmovably in the card slot on the motherboard. But once it is, life is so much easier :-). I now always have an extra card lying around, fully updated and ready to fall back to.

Best regards,

Niels
Roland

Post by Roland »

nbache wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:36 am BTW, I have - inspired by Skateman - bought a microSD extension lead so I can exchange cards without opening the case - highly recommended. Of course you still need to make sure the inside end of the extension is seated properly and unmovably in the card slot on the motherboard. But once it is, life is so much easier :-). I now always have an extra card lying around, fully updated and ready to fall back to.
I was just about to suggest the same... Here is one (29cm) from an Amiga dealer: https://www.relec.ch/fr/produit/cable-n ... n-microsd/ . It does fit into the X5000's BootSD holder.

IMO opinion, the cable does not need to extend outside the case as the BootSD needs to be swapped rarely (and if you have children around they may succeed to take the SD out of the slot and swallow it!). The main thing is that you do not need to touch anymore the motherboard and the microSD holder on it.
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

That Amiga dealer seems to claim to sell X5000s as well as just the motherboards! Anyway, I think I'll go ahead and order the extension.

Tjatjj's note that he suspects the SD card hadn't been seated properly gave me a bit of hope that reseating mine will do the trick. But then I reread his original post where he says he tried three SD cards. It doesn't seem likely that they were never seated right. We'll see.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

If you choose to let it extend outside the case, it probably needs to be more than 29 cm; I think mine is 50 or so.

But of course Roland has a point, it is not strictly necessary. I just find it nice to not have to open the case (but as an OS4 and X5k beta tester, I probably exchange the cards a bit more often than most :-). Oh, and no children around, nor pets ...

Best regards,

Niels
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Hi please reread post . New sd card. After tried reseating several times after shutting down awhile. Then came back on. Sometimes it looks seated when is not
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I've had a zipped Cyrus 5020 uboot file for a while now, but various problems (many of them because I can't use my X5000, plus things like having to get a pacemaker installed, so now I too am part computer) have kept me from trying to use it.

Main problem: I have the zipped file on a Windows laptop which took my Amiga's place. I copied it to a flash drive for safety backup. I believe I need the content of that zipped file on my new micro sd card, but I'm not sure how to get it there. If I unzip the file on my Windows machine, will I see something that I can copy to the card? Grab and slide? (Windows is presumably missing the dd function.)

The neatest thing would be copy the zip file to the card and unzip it there, but I suspect that might not be the right thing to do. I don't want to try anything until I have a good chance of getting what I need on the new card.

Of probably greater concern, I bought a hard drive docking station to read my X5000 hard drive. When I plug it in and turn it on, I can hear and feel the hard drive starting, but nothing shows up on screen running either Windows or my Raspberry Pi. If this means the hard drive is lost, then I don't really need my X5000 anymore.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi,

It should be possible to write the Image (the file that will come out of the ZIP file) to the SD card using windows.
I would give it a try with a utility like Rufus or another util that can write an Image file to SD card. (its not hard)

More info about getting the Image file on SD check this link:
http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=A ... date_Uboot
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Be aware that the description in the Wiki is from 2017. I'm not sure how much of the description is still the recommended method.

Also, in one section is mentioned doing a warm reset - this is not necessarily possible, depending on which graphics card you use.

Maybe Tony (or someone else) can advise on the safest method with a (non-beta) OS 4.1 FE update 2.

At any rate, I'd probably use a fresh card and a USB card reader with e.g. Windows.

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Hi, just saw this.

The Wiki description is a little old, as Niels said. I wouldn't try the "UpdateAmigaBoot" any more, as it was written before some allocations within the SD card were moved and it might not work with all versions of SD card or U-Boot.

The "RawWrite" method is probably the one that I would use in this case. The U-Boot command line method is also OK
cheers
tony
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I looked into Rufus. One place that offered a download insisted I give my phone number, so they would know where to send it! Nothing doing. Tried another source that looked sort of official MicroSoft/Windows, but was told the app wouldn't work on my machine (ASUS Zenbook 15, Windows 11), so I gave up on that. It belatedly occurred to me that I could dd with my Raspberry Pi, so I have just tried that. But I'm no longer smart enough to figure out how to do it.

pi@raspberrypi:/media/pi $ dd if=MUTUAL/Cyrus_5020_uboot_22102018/X5000_UB00T_Recovery_22-10-18.img of=/media/pi/6431-3338/
dd: failed to open '/media/pi/6431-3338/': Is a directory

I need to give the output file a name, apparently. I tried using the same "Cyrus_5020...img" name and it worked, but is that name OK? I have rm'ed it for now.