X5000 died

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: X5000 died

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:21 pm maybe your picture is too big, you could try scaling it down.
It's 2.89 MB. The limit is supposedly 5MB. Long ago when I first got that "quota reached" message I took a look at my list of attachments. There were a lot to scroll through. I deleted a few of the oldest ones and was able to upload a new one. After deleting a few from my recent very short list in hopes of being able to send the photo of my plug, I only have one "49.99 KiB" one left, but I'm still over quota!
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:25 pm My intent to follow those instructions seems to have been nipped in the bud. Each of the three fans has its own connector on the motherboard, and nothing from the PSU will connect with them.
Now I'm surprised. Maybe your case is after all different from the one I have... But at least my Cyrus board has only two connectors on which fans (with the small 3-pin connector) can directly be connected, and one of them is occupied by the CPU fan.

Edit: I have a F.D. Core 3500 case in which all the fans are connected to a speed controller, which has a molex connector for power input. I guess you have the simpler Core 3300 case (https://support.fractal-design.com/supp ... uct-manual), in which the fans have to be powered separately, using their own 3-pin connector.
Nor can I see an obvious way to connect my hard drive (a "mechanical harddisk"?)
From a mechanical HD you can hear if it gets power and is running, but a SSD which has no motor is totally quiet. You do not need to connect the data cable but only the power cable to check that.
I now plan to order a new PSU and start figuring out how to put the rest of the thing back together while I wait for it.
I already mailed you a 'quick-guide' for a first-aid ;-).
- Roland -
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

With guidance from Roland I have managed to install a new copy of the original cheap PSU and get everything wired back up. Now when I turn the power on the green LED1 and one of the red ones light up on the motherboard, a big improvement.

However, when I click the start button, the white light next to it comes on and the case fan plugged into the motherboard starts to spin, but the white light goes out immediately and the fan stops spinning. The little fan in the middle of the MB doesn't even start to spin. If I click the start button again, nothing happens unless I turn the power switch off and back on. The green and red LEDs stay on through it all until I turn the power off.

All I can figure out so far is that the power supply is working well enough to keep a couple LEDs lit. It provides a fan with momentary power, then stops powering it. Something seems to be turning part of the power off and remembering to keep it turned off. I will be rechecking everything I can but I'm hoping someone might have some idea what I should look for if I don't manage to get it going before I come back here.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Pull the memory modules out of the board, and put them back in..

Second option could be a new battery on the mainboard...

DAve
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I'll try both suggestions, although I did have the memory modules out while I was working on it.

I suppose I should specify the the one red LED that comes on is LED6, aka HRESET.

I am also slightly discomfited by having a bunch of plugs from the PSU left over, including two four-hole ones labeled CPU and two with 6+2 holes labeled PCI-E but I assume they are irrelevant. And I have nothing plugged in to the back of the box. I can't imagine it would need anything there to stay on.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

The CPU cable is needed for mainboards nowdays to feed the CPU.... Not needed in the X5000.
The PCI-E cable is needed to feed a Graphics card that needs more power than the PCI-E X16 connectior can supply.
If for example you switch to a more power hungry GPU like a Radeon RX570 you need that cable.

I would suggest giving a new battery on the mainboard a try...as found in the link below...

CR2032 battery for real time clock

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=X5000
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

kilaueabart wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:57 pm I suppose I should specify the the one red LED that comes on is LED6, aka HRESET.
When your machine fails to boot, is there a red LED blinking on the Cyrus board? The user "seventhwonder" had a very similar issue to yours:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4561

I do not know whether he found a fix for it. Is there anyoone here who is in contact with him? If yes, could you please ask him to comment...?
- Roland -
Tijatjj

Post by Tijatjj »

Had same problems. Had the sd card with bios rewrite. But I think it was just not seated correctly. Works now. It takes quite a few tries
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Skateman wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm I would suggest giving a new battery on the mainboard a try...as found in the link below...

CR2032 battery for real time clock
I finally found time to check it out. The old battery read 2.89v on my voltmeter. The new one was 3.20! But no effect on my problem.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Tijatjj wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:27 am Had same problems. Had the sd card with bios rewrite. But I think it was just not seated correctly. Works now. It takes quite a few tries
OK, that certainly sounds like my problem. Roland had suggested, with considerable warnings, redoing that sd card. I guess I'll cautiously try reseating it first. If I have to rewrite it I may be in trouble. The computer I dd things from is broken! :-)