X5000 Booting to CLI [SOLVED]

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
levellord

X5000 Booting to CLI [SOLVED]

Post by levellord »

Hello all!

Until just recently, maybe 3 weeks ago, my X5000 was flawlessly working and then without any obvious reason it starts to boot directly to the CLI. I did not do any changes to it, hardware or software so this issue is rather annoying. I use machine daily, for productivity or fun, and it was not sitting in the corner or in the storage closet for weeks or months.

I did not give much thought to it because after the reset it will boot normally and I was thinking just to reinstall the system and it will go away. I postpone re-installing for some time until Amiga was booting to CLI almost every time and I had to reset the machine sometimes 4-5 times before booting to Workbench.

At this point I tried to reinstall, but unsuccessful, because when I access the Early Startup Menu and then enter Boot Options and Boot From Optical, it appears that Boot Options Menu will crash as soon as I hit key arrow down to highlight Boot From Optical and it will show message on the upper left corner: “Timeout pool on interrupt endpoint” which will keep repeating until I reset the machine. I am not able to move within the Menu with arrow keys anymore, and Enter key will not be functional to start boot off the CD.

*Just want to make this process more clear: As soon as I hit arrow down, the Menu will crash and I am not able to do anything else and the error message will pop up. Other times, I would be able to highlight Boot From Optical and when I hit Enter, the menu will crash, without booting from CD. Finally, in some rare occurrences, it will start booting from the CD, but when the black screen pop up showing white/red letters AmigaOS Final Edition 4.1, Pre-Release (just before Workbench starts) it will finish loading off the CD, the screen will turn black and the machine will hang.

I reinstalled AmigaOS4.1 FE1 couple of times before and did not have any issues like this in the past.

Only option that will work is to re-install OS from the Mass Storage and USB that I have received with my Amiga from the AotL (Amiga on the Lake), but this is not and option as it will install Enhancer Pack 1.3 (AFAIR). If I do this and then update system to FE update 2, the Amiga will boot to CLI 100% of the time, so I am not able to update the system at all.

Even after re-installing with USB, after a couple of re-boots, it will start to boot to CLI again.

The system was bought 2 years ago from AotL as a bundle:

AmigaOne X5000 System "First Encounters Bundle"
Memory: 16GB (Add $85.00)
Hard Drive: 1TB Segate HDD
Video Option: RADEON 7750 SFF 2GB

Before this post, I cleaned up the machine from dust, cleaned all the contacts and re-seated graphics card and memory and inserted new battery with no difference. I did not change any SATA cables nor I was re-seating them.

Here are the links to the images of my issue:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... CoOX6JPmwX

1: This is the image to my original boot issue
2: This is the image after I patched the system with “Update 2 for AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition”
3: This is the image reflecting immediately after I hit Enter in the Boot Options to boot from CD
4: This image is the same as 3, just after couple of minutes of inactivity.
5: Motherboard LED Status (1st light is green, next 5 lights are red)

At this point I am not really sure what the issue is, but I am wandering if this might have something to do with the SD card firmware? Can this be corrupted or it is something else? Did anyone had similar issues (I searched the board and only issue I found which was distantly similar was Acill’s issue, but his was resolved by itself) and if someone can help me with mine?

I really appreciate any help and please let me know if anyone who is willing to help and troubleshoot have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Best regards,
levellord

edit: updated subject, marked it as solved.
Last edited by levellord on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skateman

Re: X5000 Booting to CLI

Post by Skateman »

If it is an issue with the SD card, just writh the U-boot image to a new SD and try that.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

Hi.
Is your system partition bootable?
You can see a list of bootable partitions from the early startup screen.

Also check if your startup-sequence has the correct protection bits.

Code: Select all

11.RAM Disk:> list s:Startup-Sequence 
Directory "s:" on Sunday 10-Jan-21
Startup-Sequence               1117 ----rwed 22-Dec-20 10:51:08
it should have the rwed protection bits.
levellord

Post by levellord »

Skateman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 am If it is an issue with the SD card, just writh the U-boot image to a new SD and try that.
Hi Skateman,

Thank you so much for looking into this and your reply! I'll definitely reach out to the AotL and ask them to provide latest U-Boot image and will try this out. It was on my list, but I was hoping the issue might be something else. If you are aware of any other reason for this behaviour, please let me know or if you have any questions.

smf wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 pm Hi.
Is your system partition bootable?
You can see a list of bootable partitions from the early startup screen.

Also check if your startup-sequence has the correct protection bits.

Code: Select all

11.RAM Disk:> list s:Startup-Sequence 
Directory "s:" on Sunday 10-Jan-21
Startup-Sequence               1117 ----rwed 22-Dec-20 10:51:08
it should have the rwed protection bits.
Hi smf,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! Yes, the DH0 is a bootable partition. I can still boot into the Workbench but not all the time as explained in my original post. I do not have any other bootable partition, nor any other OS installed (MorphOS or Linux). I also checked the start-up sequence(s) and I can confirm that all of the protection bits are r-w-e-d.

I've added two addition images (6 and 7) showing System Info in Early Startup, and on image 7 you can see "Time poll on interrupt endpoint" error popping up. It looks like it is not only crashing in the Boot Option menu but any other sub menu within Early Startup.

The USB devices attached are the mouse and keyboard only.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
levellord
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

@levellord

I have one last crazy idea :)
What about if you unplug your keyboard and mouse and start your X5000.
Will it boot all the way into workbench then?

My idea is that maybe the middle mouse button or the key on the keyboard that makes it boot without startup-sequence is stuck or simply is missbehaving in some way.

Btw, can you boot into workbench by typing "execute startup-sequence" in the CLI?
If the error appears more frequently with the update 2 it can be because of some kickstart file in your Kickstart drawer, i would suspect it would be bootkeyboard.usbfd or bootmouse.usbfd so you can try to replace them with the older files.
They both work perfectly for me but you never know...
levellord

Post by levellord »

@smf

Thanks for suggestion, I will try this now. I did try 3 different keyboards because I was thinking that one of the keys is stuck as well and to my surprise, only old (original) IBM M models will work, the new IBM M model (by Unicomp) is not working and also cheap $5 keyboard is not working too. Don't know why is that, it should be working as I remember I was using $5 one in the past. The non-working keyboards are recognised as keyboard when I plug them in, but no response on key presses.

Will get back to you after I test this.

Best regards,
levellord
levellord

Post by levellord »

@smf

Okay, this was a success! The Amiga finally booted off the CD after I disconnected the mouse and keyboard. The weird thing was a spinning ball rotating super-fast, shooting lasers like X-wing, but at the end it booted up. Next thing I tried was to plug Unicomp model M into the USB hub instead in the back of Amiga (two middle USB ports, white ones, or two upper white USB ports, 2.0 IIRC), restart the system and it booted of the CD straight to the installation menu. The thing with this keyboard is that I cant interrupt the booting process (keyboard will not work during boot) and enter Early Startup, but as soon as Workbench is started, the keyboard will work.

I tried old IBM M via USB hub and it will interrupt the boot and enter the Early Startup but as soon as I move through the menus, that error will pop up again and hitting the Enter on Boot From Optical, menu will crash.

The keyboard that I think is problematic I have replaced and will see how the re-installation of the OS with Update 2 will go.

Now that I have a workaround to boot of the CD, do you have any suggestions for the Early Startup issue?

Does anyone think updating the U-Boot will fix the issue?

Thank you again for looking into this!

Best regards,
levellord
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

levellord wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:24 pmThe thing with this keyboard is that I cant interrupt the booting process (keyboard will not work during boot) and enter Early Startup, but as soon as Workbench is started, the keyboard will work.
Try waiting about 25 seconds after power-up (or reset) and then plug in the keyboard. This should be just about when the ball starts spinning. Then you may be able to use the keyboard.

I know this because I use a similar technique. I have a KVM switch on which the X5000 is connected as one computer. If I start the X5000 as the select computer on the KVM, I can't use the keyboard in UBoot. But if I start it while another KVM input is selected, and switch to the X5000 after 25 seconds, the keyboard is recognized.

Best regards,

Niels
levellord

Re: X5000 Booting to CLI [SOLVED]

Post by levellord »

@nbache

Thank you sir, I will remember this when the time comes when I need it, it's a good advice.

Sorry for the slow response, I've been busy yesterday trying to complete the installation + system setup before the end of the weekend.

Thank you all for your responses and help, Amiga is up and running. The issue at the end was a faulty keyboard so i am marking this thread as a solved.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
levellord