Problem saving settings in OS4

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
tlgrooms

Problem saving settings in OS4

Post by tlgrooms »

I am trying to make changes to my Exchange settings in OS 4.1FE on my X5000.
Once I make the changes and save them and reboot the machine, they have reset back to what they were before the save.

Anyone know why this would happen?

Also in my Odyssey Beta17 web browser I cannot seem to save my login settings for webpages. Even though I tell them to save the next time I enter Odyssey they are gone once again.
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Problem saving settings in OS4

Post by smf »

I do not know what "exchange settings is" but about the odyssey problem:
The logins are saved into a file in the odyssey progdir.
Sometimes this file becomes corrupt so try to delete it.
it's called something like passwd.db
You can also try to delete stored passwords for sites from the password meny is odyssey.

I also seems to recall that in the early days of ngfilesystem it did not store passwords correctly.
So if you are running ngfilesystem you might be out of luck until there is an updated released if i remember correctly about that one.
You could ofcourse then create a partition with sfs.
For the X5000 you then have to install the version from the enhancer package but i believe it's bundled with the X5k?
So it's just about enabling two kickstartmodules in the kicklayout file and then create the partition.
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

I am talking about exchange under commodities. I'm trying to disable a couple of programs that are currently running at start up.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Exchange is only for controlling the already running commodities. I'm not really sure what the Save menu item in it actually does, maybe just save the window position or something?

To change what is being run at startup, have a look at the WBStartup program in Prefs.

Best regards,

Niels
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

I have installed a start menu type program called "Excalibur" which runs at startup that I want to turn off. I have looked in WBStartup, user-startup and startup-sequence but can't find where it's being started. I want to turn it off. I thought I could do that in exchange since it is listed there and has a disable feature there. I can select disable (not sure the exact option as I'm at work and my x5000 is at home right now) and then save the settings and it will show disabled until I restart the machine at which point it shows enabled again in exchange. Any ideas where else I might find how to keep it from starting up?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If it's being run at start up, it can only be in one of two places:

1. WBStartUp. Check the list of items and uncheck it if it's there but that's not as likely as...
2. Startup Sequence/User-Startup scripts. Examine the S:User-Startup script with Notepad. You may find a line towards the end that starts up your Excalibur. You can erase it or simply stick a semi-colon in front of the line, leaving it there in case you want to reverse the change later.
cheers
tony
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Actually, it could also be started from S:Network-Startup.

Edit: I just downloaded the Excalibur archive from OS4Depot to have a look.

According to the install script it is in fact added to the WBStartup preferences, while the program itself is by default installed into SYS:Utilities, and its prefs program to SYS:Prefs.

If you still can't find it in the list in WBStartup prefs, you could try in a Shell window to enter "C:WBStartupCTRL REMOVE Excalibur" and see what happens. This line is also part of the quick_install script (followed by another which adds it back).

Unfortunately, there is no DISABLE/ENABLE functionality in WBStartupCTRL; that could have been useful (not only in this case). (Edit: Now suggested in Bugzilla.)

Best regards,

Niels
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

It was in WB-Startup. I was looking at the actual folder and not the option in Prefs.

I still haven't been able to get my logins and passwords to save in Odyssey. I have tried deleting the passwd.db file. Still won't save my logins and passwords.

Thanks for the help with Excalibur guys.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

tlgrooms wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:53 pm It was in WB-Startup. I was looking at the actual folder and not the option in Prefs.
Aha. The WBStartup drawer is obsolete, you shouldn't even have one these days. Everything is running off of the list in WBStartup prefs nowadays, where the programs are simply referenced with their paths, i.e. wherever they happen to be installed.

Of course you could get clever and have a physical WBStartup drawer to put stuff into which you then reference from WBStartup prefs, but that's not really recommendable, as it just tends to confuse things.

Best regards,

Niels