PCI-e soundcards for X5000?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Paul Zager

Re: PCI-e soundcards for X5000?

Post by Paul Zager »

@Skateman
Skateman wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:54 pm I have an Envy Based PCI card in my X5000. (M-Audio Revolution 5.1) and the sound is great! in both OS4 and Linux.
Can it be an Envy 24GT, or does it have to be an HT? Used Gt goes for >$40. used HT is closer to $80 on ebay.

How about an old PCI Soundblaster 128? Are they known to work? Much cheaper and ships from the US. chipset?

Thanks,
Paul
Frankenthousand, the monster A1000
A1-XE G4, 2GB, 9250
X5000/20
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Paul,

If i recall correct its a GT but works great!

This card... a GT
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedi ... ion51.html
Last edited by Skateman on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Roland

Post by Roland »

Paul Zager wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:32 pm Can it be an Envy 24GT, or does it have to be an HT? Used Gt goes for >$40. used HT is closer to $80 on ebay.
If you want to use your card also with Linux, do NOT buy a 24HT ! There is a long known but unfixed bug in the Linux driver, and the card gives out sound only very occasionally...
- Roland -
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Roland

Both the onboard chip and a Envy24HT based card play the video and sound fine here.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Raziel wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:12 pm Both the onboard chip and a Envy24HT based card play the video and sound fine here.
Thank you! But onboard chip...? What machine did you use for testing?

But now I'm out of ideas... What could cause this 'S-issue' in my machine and why is it audible only with OS4.1? I have also tested several player programs but there is no difference. Nor between AHI and Enhancer audio.
- Roland -
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Roland

X1000, yes, i know...but your request was not directly aimed at X5000 users only.
Sorry, if i wasted your time, i thought you wanted to rule out a software issue as well...
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Raziel wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:32 am X1000, yes, i know...but your request was not directly aimed at X5000 users only.
Sorry, if i wasted your time, i thought you wanted to rule out a software issue as well...
No need to be sorry...! Your information was indeed valuable. I was just surpriced if there were hiding in the p5020 an integrated sound chip which I was not aware of...;-) But if an Envy24HT card gives in a X1000 a clean sound but shows this 's-issue' in my X5000 (but only with OS4.1), what can we conlude from that...?!

BTW, you do happen to be a betatester of OS4.1? If you are, you might have newer versions of some OS components than I have.
- Roland -
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Roland

No betatester here, just another poor sodded end-user who spent his hard earned money to support further AmigaOS4 development...which will never see the light of day...if you aren't on the NDA train.

Anyway, I did not test with any kind of file, but with the linked yt video...though I believe that there might be many more issues with that kind of testing.
What about my (or your) internet connection producing such sound issues/artefacts due to bad connection or whatever else?

Wouldn't a mp3 file be suited better for such tests?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

Anyway, I did not test with any kind of file, but with the linked yt video...though I believe that there might be many more issues with that kind of testing. What about my (or your) internet connection producing such sound issues/artefacts due to bad connection or whatever else?
Well, I have downloaded that linked video, and tested to run it also from HD and RAM:, but no difference. Have tested also other sound files with speak, but the issue have been audible in all cases.
Maybe, but I'm not familiar with audio formats and how they differ from each others... Audio is not my strongest area.
Last edited by Roland on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Roland wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pmBut if Tabor gets out finally, OS4.1 supplied with it will probably have many, if not all the updates made so far. And I suppose at least part of them should work in other NG models, too... So, even if OS update kits for other models were never published, a Tabor could be used as 'emergency update package' for those !-).
I would sincerely advise against such an attempt.

First, you would be breaking your license terms, since one copy of the OS is meant for one machine and should not be copied to other ones.

Second, you would be completely on our own, nobody here would be able to help you out if you start mixing different parts of different OS updates for different machines. And you would most likely be needing help very soon if you tried. Not least for the Tabor, many modules are quite different from those for other architectures.

Anyway, my best guess would be that once a Tabor version of OS4 is ready for release, the same level would be released for the other platforms as well (not necessarily for free, but still).
Maybe, but I'm not familiar with audio formats and how they differ from each others... Audio is not my strongest area.
I'd definitely also recommend using MP3 or even WAV or AIFF for such comparisons. Once sound gets encoded together with video or in other formats where small size is more important than quality, you can get all sorts of deteriorations of the sound. I would even imagine that you could see (hear) some of them on some hardware/driver combos and not on others.

Best regards,

Niels