PCI-e soundcards for X5000?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Roland

Re: PCI-e soundcards for X5000?

Post by Roland »

nbache wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pm
If I were you, I'd create another boot partition and install OS4 on it without adding the Enhancer, so you can always boot that and check in cases like this.
I already have such 'zero' partition, plus a partition having the contents of OS4.1 Install CD... In addition to ordinary OS-backup partitions which are more up-to-date. I use them usually before doing major updates. With Linux it is even more important to have the basic installation backed-up as it is practically impossible to recover the system manually after an unsuccesful update. AmigaOS is much easier case...
- Roland -

nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

So do you have the distortion when booting from that OS4-only partition?

Best regards,

Niels

Roland

Post by Roland »

nbache wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:17 pm
So do you have the distortion when booting from that OS4-only partition?
Yes. But in order to get ANY sound out via Envy24HT on that basic OS4, I had first to remove the DEVS:Audiomodes/CMI8738 file. Unless, the sound was always directed to the 'defective' CMI card (which I need for Linux), independently of what I had chosen in 'AHI' (deleting ahi.prefs did not help that). I guess the Enhancer 'Sound' was meant to solve that kind of peculiarities...
- Roland -

nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Okay. So at least we now know it is not caused by the Enhancer components.

I have never used a CMI8738 based audio card, so I can't help much there, but I have had several different Envy24HT cards without this sort of trouble (in the X1000). Not sure what I have in the X5000, I can't use it at the moment (waiting for a new KVM switch).

Best regards,

Niels