HDD broken.

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Steff

HDD broken.

Post by Steff »

Hello all. My Amiga One X5000 hard drive has malfunctioned and does not boot to the Workbench any more.
I decided to repair from my USB stick and try to recover my system. My problem now is; the USB bootable is corrupted and so i have no way of repairing my system.
Does anyone have an ISO of a bootable stick i can download to get my system working again?
Thanks in advance.
khayoz

Re: HDD broken.

Post by khayoz »

If you login to https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com and register your X5000 AmigaOS 4.1 ISO serial number
(User Menu/Product Registration) you get access to an ISO download(Main menu/Downloads).
Last edited by khayoz on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989--> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Amy-ITXv1.6, Amy-ITXv1.8, A500 rev8A & rev8A.1 <--2022
Steff

Post by Steff »

Thank you.
Steff

Post by Steff »

Ok. So, i have downloaded the cd iso and burnt to cd (at the lowest speed). When booting the x5000 all that happens is a Grey screen and nothing more.
Any ideas?
Roland

Post by Roland »

Steff wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:58 pm Ok. So, i have downloaded the cd iso and burnt to cd (at the lowest speed). When booting the x5000 all that happens is a Grey screen and nothing more.
Any ideas?
Which graphics card do you have in your X5000? The OS4.1 CD has only a rudimentary Radeon driver which does not support the newer cards. E.g. boards with Oland chip set (R7 240, most R7 250) do not work with it. Emergency boot sticks (USB) usually have also the Enhancer software with a newer Radeon driver installed, thus they work with all supported graphics cards.

Have you checked the cable of your non-working hard disk is well seated on both ends, or tested with another cable? Sata connectors can be tricky sometimes...
- Roland -
Steff

Post by Steff »

Hello Roland. Thanks for your reply.
I believe it is an ATI Radeon R9 270X.
How do i get the updated card files to the CD?
Many thanks.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Steff wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:28 pm I believe it is an ATI Radeon R9 270X.
How do i get the updated card files to the CD?
I'm afraid it is not possible to update the driver directly on the OS 4.1 CD... I tried a few years ago as I had a similar problem as you, but it did not work.

I think the simplest way is to ask a new, bootable USB stick with the latest Radeon driver from your dealer, or from another X5000 user if you know someone nearby you.

BTW, how do you know your original bootable USB stick is corrupted...? Does it give an error message, or does it just not boot? If I remember correctly, these bootable USB sticks has to be in certain USB ports of X5000 in order to work (maybe the ones at bottom, when you case is in vertical position).
- Roland -
Steff

Post by Steff »

Hi Roland.
I am aware of the position of the USB stick but thanks for asking.
The stick does boot to a certain degree but then fails and the system stops.
I have left messages and tried phoning AmiKit (in Wales) but no answer to any of my contacts. So, I'm pretty stuffed really.
I have no idea (if any) of anyone near me that has an X5000.
smf
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by smf »

The easy way to load a new set of kickstart modules that are not on the installation cd is to simply just create a usb stick with a kickstart drawer and start from it :) and then if needed to start from cd boot from that when the kickstart is loaded.
All kickstart modules should then be located there and also the kicklayout file.

iirc it supports even fat formated sticks but i was using amigafilesystems back then when i did this a few years ago.

Also i would rather write the contents from the cd iso on a stick with a program like DD on linux or rawwrite on amiga and boot from it, it's much faster than cd booting.
Just copy the files to the stick if it's properly partitioned and formated will also work.