Test request to all X5000 owners!

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Gregor

Test request to all X5000 owners!

Post by Gregor »

Could other X5000 users here please kindly test, whether the autorestore of ethernet addresses in UBoot works in their machines?
I would like to know if my Cyrus board is the only one with this issue, or is it a common problem.

But if this too much asked, could you at least open from the AmigaOne Early Startup menu the 'System Info...' (you can get there by pressing two times 's' key after the Boingball animation has started) and check there, are the mac addresss of ethernet ports defined, or ist there only 'null' written there? (see the attachment) If they are not defined, at least then the autorestore does not work!

If there IS a mac address written to those registers, it does not yet prove the autorestore works as it can also have been written there manually. The 'ethaddr' and 'eth1addr' varables have to emptied via UBoot comand line ('setenv ethaddr', 'setenv eth1addr' and 'saveenv' commands) and the machine rebooted to see, whether the addresses are restored automatically. (If you test this, please write down the addresses first, to be able to restore them manually if needed!-)

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Gregor
Attachments
X5000_09.jpg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Test request to all X5000 owners!

Post by nbache »

On my X5040, the MAC addresses are shown fine in the SysInfo page, and have been all the time. I have never had to define them myself.

Best regards,

Niels
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Gregor,

This is normal behaviour with the later X5000 mainboards. Also the MAC adresses are not printed on the board labels as the earlier versions of the X5K boards.
You can set the ETH0 and ETH1 adresses by hand using the U-Boot environment.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Skateman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm This is normal behaviour with the later X5000 mainboards. Also the MAC adresses are not printed on the board labels as the earlier versions of the X5K boards.

Thank you for sharing this info! I was worried that there was something wrong with my Cyrus+ board...

The wiki.amiga would really need some updating! Looks like the information there is out-of-date if it is based on older beta boards...

Regards,

Gregor
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

If what Skateman says is true (that all later boards act this way), then I would prefer to fix the bug in U-Boot.

Unfortunately we don't yet have access to the U-Boot sources.
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Tony

There was a U-Boot update released to A-Eon Beta testers on 31Oct18 that was supposed to fix this issue.
Never got to test it as my board died 2 weeks before this and I did not see any feed back as to whether it worked or not.
tonyw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm If what Skateman says is true (that all later boards act this way), then I would prefer to fix the bug in U-Boot.

Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@Spectre660:

Firstly, I don't remember an "issue" with MAC addresses in the past. Gregor's complaint is the only one I've heard and I haven't seen it confirmed by anyone else (Is Skateman confirming the problem?). Until this thread, I didn't even know that U-Boot regenerated the MAC addresses on boot.

Secondly, I think we agreed that Gregor's 2014/2016 version of U-Boot is the same as I am running on both my X-5000s. I do not have a problem.

Thirdly, I do have that newer U-Boot version in my Downloads directory but I have never installed it, probably because it works as it is and I'm using the machine daily for development. I may get to try it one day but I'm busy with OS development.

It's possible that my machines will show Gregor's problem if I install the newer U-Boot versions, but not likely. I'm not in a rush to try it.

Sorry if I sound curt, but I really can't add anything helpful to this discussion.
cheers
tony
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

The issue was with seen with production boards sold around 2017.
Dont know if it affected just a limited batch or all production boards .
Was discussed on the A-Eon beta development list .

tonyw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm @Spectre660:

Firstly, I don't remember an "issue" with MAC addresses in the past. Gregor's complaint is the only one I've heard and I haven't seen it confirmed by anyone else (Is Skateman confirming the problem?). Until this thread, I didn't even know that U-Boot regenerated the MAC addresses on boot.

Secondly, I think we agreed that Gregor's 2014/2016 version of U-Boot is the same as I am running on both my X-5000s. I do not have a problem.

Thirdly, I do have that newer U-Boot version in my Downloads directory but I have never installed it, probably because it works as it is and I'm using the machine daily for development. I may get to try it one day but I'm busy with OS development.

It's possible that my machines will show Gregor's problem if I install the newer U-Boot versions, but not likely. I'm not in a rush to try it.

Sorry if I sound curt, but I really can't add anything helpful to this discussion.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Spectre660 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 pm @Tony

There was a U-Boot update released to A-Eon Beta testers on 31Oct18 that was supposed to fix this issue.
Never got to test it as my board died 2 weeks before this and I did not see any feed back as to whether it worked or not.
tonyw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm If what Skateman says is true (that all later boards act this way), then I would prefer to fix the bug in U-Boot.

The later 2018 U-Boot version also did not solve the Issue. It has been very quiet lately regarding this issue! I would be nice if the MAC could be probed correctly. At this moment everyone using an X5000 with the onboard nic and using OS4.1 FE is having the same MAC address!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
Acill

Post by Acill »

Not all of us have the same MAC! ;) I ran into this issue myself when beta testing MorphOS on my machine. They used the MAC to lock it to the system it was being used on. So I had set mine to some old Commodore hardware MAC addresses. I am sure they are not used now a days, lol.