Mounting SFS key problem

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
efher

Mounting SFS key problem

Post by efher »

I use a X5000 and I can't use my USB disks formatted using SFS (0 or 2).
When I insert the disk, the requester appears to show it's seen, but no icon appears on the Workbench.
MediaToolbox see the partitions and their type (SFS0 or SFS2).
If I try to mount the drive using the Mount command (Ex: Mount DH5:) I get an error message :
SmartFileSytem not available
But the SmartFileSystem is present in KickLayout, waht's missing?

Did someone get the solution ?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Mounting SFS key problem

Post by nbache »

Are you using the version of SFS which came with OS4? For reasons known only to the author¹), that version does not support the X5000. You need the version which came with the Enhancer Pack (and the corresponding diskcache.library.kmod).

Alternatively, if you have another OS4 machine, you can backup the contents of the disk there, reformat it with e.g. NGFS or NTFS and copy back the contents, thus avoiding the use of SFS.

Best regards,

Niels

¹) Actually, that version is from 2011, so no wonder it doesn't know about the X5000. What is the real nuisance is that it cares at all about the hardware, and that the author didn't make the updated version for X5000 available to OS4. But that's another story ...
efher

Post by efher »

My SFS version is:
SmartFilesystem 1.293 (19/11/2015)
AmigaOS4 PPC A-EON Technology Ltd

It's the same on my SAM440 (OS4.1 Final Edition), on the X5000 (recently purchased), and on the Enhancer Software CD...

Doesn't seem to be the solution...
xenic

Post by xenic »

efher wrote:My SFS version is:
SmartFilesystem 1.293 (19/11/2015)
AmigaOS4 PPC A-EON Technology Ltd

It's the same on my SAM440 (OS4.1 Final Edition), on the X5000 (recently purchased), and on the Enhancer Software CD...

Doesn't seem to be the solution...
My X5000 is at another location right now but I can make a few suggestions to try. I accidently created an SFS formatted USB flash drive with a device name and label that both looked like device names (DH4: & DH6:).

You could try running the assign command to see if it shows in the device list.

You can also try mounting it from the mounter GUI (double-click SYS:System/Mounter).

Since it's a USB drive you can open SYS:System/MountExt to see if it can be mounted with that.

Open the MassStorage commodity to see if it provides any useful information.

Plug the disk into your SAM and use the mountinfo command results to create a mountfile and use the mountfile with the mount command on your X5000 to mount the disk.

If none of the above helps then follow nbache's advice.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Are you able to format a USB drive as SFS on your X5000?
efher

Post by efher »

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried all what you suggest :
masstorage commodity, mountex, create a mountlist on my SAM : I always get the same result : impossible to mount the device(s).
It's look quite strange because these devices are seen as a SFS partition (DH5, DH6...), the SFS system is present in the system
but is unusable. Perhaps I'll try an older version...

The nbcache's advice is good, but my disks have a content of more than 700GB of data, I'll prefer to read the disk directly. It's a pity
if the operation is not possible to do, because it's a problem to exchange data beetween the SAM and the X5000, as the SAM is
unable to use the NGFS filesystem... (to my knowledge). Using a Microsoft format is strange... and NTFS doesn't accept accentued
chars in the filenames.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Ẃhy not transfer the files you need over the network?
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
efher

Post by efher »

I have done a part of the work like that but it's rather slow and I have a problem with dates & times, and comments
as Pete'sFTP doesn't keep trace of them (I used A-FTP Server with Pete'sFTP as client).
Does somebody knows for a program that would keep them?
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

@efher

Did you format the drive with a blocksize of 512?
SFS won't show if any other blocksize is used, easy to forget.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Small point, but have you double checked that it's in your kicklayout and not commented out?

e.g. should be

Code: Select all

MODULE Kickstart/SmartFileSystem
not

Code: Select all

;MODULE Kickstart/SmartFileSystem
This is very strange - I transferred alot of data from my A1XE to my X5000 via SFS formatted USB drives no problems.