Mounting SFS key problem

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Mounting SFS key problem

Post by nbache »

efher wrote:I have done a part of the work like that but it's rather slow and I have a problem with dates & times, and comments
as Pete'sFTP doesn't keep trace of them (I used A-FTP Server with Pete'sFTP as client).
Does somebody knows for a program that would keep them?
I have installed Netfs on all my Amigas, then I can just do "netmount Amiga2 Work A2_work" or similar, and the other machine's Work appears on the local machine as a regular drive. The rest is just as if it were a local drive, you can copy [CLONE], move, rename, delete, whatever - or use DOpus, WB or what you prefer. It even works from within WinUAE on a Windows machine.

You need to read the (short) docs carefully, there are a few components that need to be installed and set up at either end, but once it's in place, the rest just works.

The one I use is here: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS

I see there is a new, rewritten version 2.1; I haven't tried it myself, but you could try it if you want: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS-revised

Best regards,

Niels
efher

Post by efher »

The line was missing in Kickstart !
Thanks a lot for you help, it works fine now.
efher

Post by efher »

Niels : I tried NetFS (and now NetFS-revised) but I could'nt make it working, I always get a "Disk is empty error" when I tried to list the content of the mounted device...
In fact I don't know how to enter the next lines:

amiganetfs stream tcp nowait root C:InetD/netfs-server
amiganetfs dgram udp wait root C:InetD/netfs-server

I tried to use them in the Internet prefs of the server but I can't enter all args in the prefs window...
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

In the Internet prefs, on the last page (Servers, I think), you should press the New button, which will give you a window where you can select the service (which should have been set up with the correct port number beforehand in the Services page) and set all the other parameters in the gadgets below the list. If you are not sure how, try opening one of the existing servers (preferably not an internal one, if you have any that are not ¹)) with the Edit button and see how it is set up.

¹) The reason is that you can only set the path and name etc. of the server program if the "Internal" checkmark is not set.

Best regards,

Niels
efher

Post by efher »

The Internal cell is ghosted, it's impossible to change it. The problem is perhaps with the "root" arg as there is no cell to set it.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Strange. When I hit the New button under Servers, it comes up with the Internal checkbox unset and open for change - as well as all the other fields. Some of them are defaulted, but all can be changed. Once you set that Internal checkmark, of course, the fields about the server program are ghosted, as they are only relevant for an external, disk-based server program. For AmiNetFS, you should not set the Internal checkmark, but instead select the netfs-server program from wherever you have installed it (I have mine in SYS:Devs/Servers/, a subdirectory I created myself).

Anyway, the other option is to edit directly in the text files in Devs/Internet. There you will find all the specifications in more or less the same format as e.g. AmiTCP uses (and which I believe the NetFS docs show?). The one you want is the "servers" file (and maybe first the "services" one if amiganetfs isn't set up with a port number already).

But make sure you have a backup of every file you start editing!

Best regards,

Niels
efher

Post by efher »

In fact I think I don't understand the way it works.
The services is defined easely (amiganetfs 2500/tcp). I presume I can't do an error for that...

But when I want to set the server, I don't understand how to set an external program, as the Prefs
program ask for the service, and when I click on the service (amiganetfs previously defined) it becomes
internal, so the Internal cell becomes ghosted...

Anyway I tried to enter the configuration lines in the Servers prefs file and it doesn't work.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Mounting SFS key problem (setting up AmigaNetFS)

Post by nbache »

efher wrote:In fact I think I don't understand the way it works.
The services is defined easely (amiganetfs 2500/tcp). I presume I can't do an error for that...
That sounds fine.
But when I want to set the server, I don't understand how to set an external program, as the Prefs
program ask for the service, and when I click on the service (amiganetfs previously defined) it becomes
internal, so the Internal cell becomes ghosted...
Not sure I understand you there - you say it becomes internal, but you also say the Internal checkbox becomes ghosted? Is its checkmark being set automatically and ghosted? That sounds very strange.

What I see here is that after selecting the amiganetfs service with a single click in the list in the upper part of the window, the - unchecked - Internal gadget is ghosted, and I can then press the getfile gadget next to the program field and find and select my server, in my case "SYS:Devs/Servers/netfs-server". The rest should be more or less as default; I did increase the stack to a million, but that is probably not necessary.
Anyway I tried to enter the configuration lines in the Servers prefs file and it doesn't work.
Strange. My line in the servers file is as follows:

Code: Select all

amiganetfs      stream     stack=1024000 SYS:Devs/Servers/netfs-server
Note that the spacing is real spaces, not tabs: not sure if it makes a difference.

Best regards,

Niels
efher

Post by efher »

All seems to be good, but I have founded the solution (not sure it's the solution) : I haved added the root keyword as an arg for the service and it works now !
First I mounted a disk on the server machine using the NetMount command to be sure the server was working and the result was good.
Then I tried on the client machine and it was working for the first time (I use a script, not changed since the installation) :

NetMount SERVER 192.168.1.11 REMOTEDEV DH2: LOGIN mylogin PASS goamiga LOCALDEV NH2:
and the list NH2: command gave me the content od DH2: of the server !

For the moment I keep this arg, but I'll try to remove it when I'll be sure it works correctly. For me it's strange that it was not working at the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

efher wrote:All seems to be good, but I have founded the solution (not sure it's the solution) : I haved added the root keyword as an arg for the service and it works now !
Oh, right, I had forgotten about that.

It may be because I use a different, lower port number for the service (below 1000), that I don't need the root keyword. I have used and copied my NetFS setup for so many years now I forget those details. In fact, when I checked today, I found that my version of NetFS is actually 0.53 (from 1993), not 0.56 which is the "latest" one on Aminet from Timo (from 1994 ;-)). Guess I should consider upgrading ... well, if it works ... :-).

Sorry about that. But nice that you got it to work.
First I mounted a disk on the server machine using the NetMount command to be sure the server was working and the result was good.
Then I tried on the client machine and it was working for the first time (I use a script, not changed since the installation) :

NetMount SERVER 192.168.1.11 REMOTEDEV DH2: LOGIN mylogin PASS goamiga LOCALDEV NH2:
and the list NH2: command gave me the content od DH2: of the server !
Super!

I don't use any login/password when netmounting between my Amigas (I use it in the LAN only, and even there with that "secret" port number), and I usually don't specify the keywords in the NetMount cpommand either. So my version of the line above would be:

Code: Select all

NetMount 192.168.1.11 DH2 NH2
(Note that the colons after the device names are also optional.)

This is short enough for me that I don't normally bother to script it, especially since I often need access to a different drive on a different computer than the previous time.
For the moment I keep this arg, but I'll try to remove it when I'll be sure it works correctly. For me it's strange that it was not working at the beginning.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
You're welcome.

Best regards,

Niels