X5000 hardware and multiple-OS options

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
esc

X5000 hardware and multiple-OS options

Post by esc »

Hey guys,

Previous X5000 owner here, and I'd intended to run AOS4/Linux/MorphOS on my computer but basically ragequit out of frustration due to the whole GPU issue. I'm kind of...getting the X5000 itch again :) I was hoping someone would be able to speak to some of my concerns here.

Essentially, I have a few questions. They are:

- What's the best GPU for AOS4?
- What's the best GPU for linux?
- What's the best GPU for MorphOS?
- Can I run with multiple GPUs? (applies to all different OSes)
- If I need multiple GPUs to support all of these OSes, what's the ideal configuration?
- What other cards would I use for sound, network, USB, etc?
- Is there a roadmap anywhere to get a single-hardware configuration supported by all?

Basically, I'd like to use an X5000 to its fullest potential. Obviously an AOS4 optimized setup is most critical, but I'd like to also use MorphOS and Linux to the furthest extent possible. I acknowledge this likely means multiple GPUs (gross) but is unavoidable...it's a shame, really, because having a more simple hardware configuration would be spectacular.

Also, what's the current story with X5000 and linux?

Thanks!
xeno74

Re: X5000 hardware and multiple-OS options

Post by xeno74 »

esc wrote: Also, what's the current story with X5000 and linux?
Hi esc,

Hardware 3D acceleration doesn't work with the Radeon HD7xxx series and above (Radeon SI) on Linux PowerPC. You need a Radeon HD6xxx series or below.

If you have a Radeon HD7xxx or above (Radeon SI) installed in your X5000, then please prevent the libglamor module from loading. It is loaded if a Radeon HD7xxx or above card is detected and causes xorg to crash.

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so.bak
You can also use a second graphics card for hardware 3D acceleration on Linux PPC. For example an AMD Radeon HD 7750 for hardware 3D acceleration on OS4.1 and an ATi Firepro 2260 for hardware 3D acceleration on Linux PPC together in a X5000. ;-) I don't know if MorphOS works with a second graphics card.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
outrun1978

Post by outrun1978 »

Hi Esc

I have all three OS's installed on their X5000, but in honesty you will need to decide what is important to you when using the machiine on a day to day basis and where.

If 3D is important on Amiga OS then make sure you are using a Southern Islands graphics card (Radeon 7750 or R7 260/270) and forget about Linux or MorphOS at least for the time being. As Christian as pointed out, you can use Linux but you won't be able to benefit from Hardware acceleration. I haven't tried the two graphics card solution he has suggested, however, MorphOS will not support running from a 2nd graphics card.

If you want to use MorphOS, AmigaOS and Linux on the same machine, then consider using either a Radeon 1650 card or a Radeon series 4000,5000 or 6000 series card. Each has their benefits and flaws which I will lay out below:

Use of a Radeon 1650 card will mean you have 3D and TinyGL support in MorphOS and hardware accelration. Support for hardware acceleation is possible in Linux, however as the card only supports up to Open GL 2.0, you will struggle to play 3D games in Linux that require OpenGL 3.0 and above (Super Tux Kart). On AmigaOS 4 forget about any 3D and due to the age and specs of the card, video playback won't be fantastic through MPlayer or Emotion although it is acceptable if you tweak some settings.

Use of a Series 4000 card will mean no 3D support in MorphOS, but you will get 2D hardware acceleration and Overlay, this is important if you like to run emulators or anything than needs an upscaling of the screen from the size of a postage stamp to display in full screen or need to play back any video without serious tweaking. You also lose out TinyGL support in MorphOS which mean that a lot of games that require this will not run. in Linux this should work fine and support hardware acceleration. OpenGL support is up to 3.3 on these types of cards so should run most 3D stuff.

Use of a series 5000 or 6000 card will be the best option for Linux in terms of 3D games performance and video playback. In MorphOS you will lose the overlay which mean that you will struggle to play stuff like PC Engine emulators Hu-Go, Dgen or anything else that requires overlay to display in fullscreen.

The use of all three OS's will require some compromise and again this is down to personal choice about what you will want to use your system for on a daily basis.
It would be nice if all three could support the same graphics card some day and to the same level, but the setups are how they are at the moment until support comes along.

Please do check out the alternative options and decide for yourself if that is something you want to keep, for me it is very much about personal preference and needs rather than one over the other. :-)
tlgrooms

Post by tlgrooms »

Hi Outrun1978. Just bought an x5000 motherboard. Is the situation still pretty much the same today as it was when you last posted for running all 3 os or has it gotten any better. I was hoping to run all 3 on my machine. I have Fienix and OS 4 working now.