Mechanical keyboard and X5000

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
User avatar
daveyw
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by daveyw »

amigasociety wrote:Any of your mechanical keyboard actually work to get into early boot menu? or even select 1 or 2 at uBoot selector if booting to different drives?

Mine does not.
No problems with mine. Can access the early boot menu as soon as the Boing Ball starts spinning. Can enter uboot menus, commands, etc.

User avatar
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by nbache »

@amigasociety:

Are you using a KVM? If so, try waiting about 20 seconds from full reset or switch on, before you switch the KVM over to the X5000. I find that makes a difference regarding its ability to recognize the keyboard in UBoot (e.g. in the boot selection menu).

Best regards,

Niels

User avatar
amigasociety
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by amigasociety »

nbache wrote:@amigasociety:

Are you using a KVM? If so, try waiting about 20 seconds from full reset or switch on, before you switch the KVM over to the X5000. I find that makes a difference regarding its ability to recognize the keyboard in UBoot (e.g. in the boot selection menu).

Best regards,

Niels
No KVM here. Direct connection to USB ports on M/B.

Just extra picky with USB devices... especially ones that allow early boot menu access.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor

User avatar
Amigo1
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by Amigo1 »

amigasociety wrote:Any of your mechanical keyboard actually work to get into early boot menu? or even select 1 or 2 at uBoot selector if booting to different drives?

Mine does not.

My X5K is VERY finicky on what USB devices are even connected to mine and one wrong device and will refrain from booting into early boot.

Hates my logitech wireless devices even being connected although they work fine once booted.

I I have to have an old keyboard or two handy and disconnected my Logitech wireless dongles and most all else to boot early boot.

Kind of a pain.

TJ

No issues here with said keyboards.
However my X5000 has issues with mice. As do the X1000. All mice I have testest so far (an exception would be the Logitech RX250) do move the mouse pointer only in on direction in the Early Boot Menu. Once OS4 is fully loaded they work.

User avatar
Skateman
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by Skateman »

@amigasociety

I must agree with you that the X5000 is picky.. I have bought 2 mechanical keyboards before which did not work.
After some research i ended up with a Ducky... http://amigax1000.blogspot.com/2014/10/ ... style.html

And here some more discussion regarding mechanical keyboards. https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vi ... orum=14&32
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon R7 250 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Ubuntu Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world

User avatar
amigasociety
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Mechanical keyboard and X5000

Post by amigasociety »

Skateman wrote:@amigasociety

I must agree with you that the X5000 is picky.. I have bought 2 mechanical keyboards before which did not work.
After some research i ended up with a Ducky... http://amigax1000.blogspot.com/2014/10/ ... style.html

And here some more discussion regarding mechanical keyboards. https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vi ... orum=14&32
Yes indeed they are. :evil:

I went through heck getting an external USB DVD drive working.... as well as keyboards and mice.

I may have to name my X5K Goldilocks... this one is too soft... this one is too hard... this one is too mushy.... hehehe. has to be just right for it all to work.

Funny my external USB DVD drive will only work if connected to an external hub that then connects to the X5K. Will not work direct connected. Wondering if power is weak out these ports or something is off. And that includes a DVD drive that had its own power source. It was weird.

Finally though if I tethered my displays USB hub to the X5K and connected the DVD to it, then it worked. Strange.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor

Post Reply