Date & Time will not stay

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Date & Time will not stay

Post by broadblues »

daveyw wrote:
salass00 wrote:Just sync your computer's clock to an NTP server on startup and it won't matter if the hardware clock keeps the time or not while the computer is turned off.
I use this as well, but its still wrong. The stupid time prefs in the humourously named "Enhancer" pack is baffled by daylight saving, and was always one hour out. I eventually solved the problem by programming daylight saving dates into it (even though the standard AOS locale prefs writes this to a variable). According to Aeon, the fourth Sunday in October is 23rd September.
Don't use the Time Prefs from Enhancer use the original. Problem solved. Enhancer versions messes with DST and this should be controled via the OS which has had full support for it for years. (best set in locale or timezone if you live somewhere quirky or for some reason need different timezone than your location (rare)).
I also find the clock defaulting to GMT for some reason, often after booting Linux.
Linux always stores the time in the hardware clock as UTC, then applies locale and DST to as required , AmigaOS stores the local time inlcuding any DST in the hardware clock. This is an unresolvable conflict. Last time I ran linux on my AmigaOne (XE so ages ago) I disabled saving of the hardware clock when I shutdown linux (something in init.d does this) too long ago to remeber the exact details.
esc

Post by esc »

Respectfully, I don't think I really agree that this is "problem solved". I think this is more like, we have one workaround for one manifestation of a larger bug, is there some sort of bugtracker for the X5000 where we can file the weird behavior with KVM switches and certain USB keyboards?
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

esc wrote:Respectfully, I don't think I really agree that this is "problem solved".
Respectfully (something you say when you're being disrespectful :-) ) I was replying quite specifically to davew's post about the Enhancer Timeprefs, I honestly can't comment at all on the X5000 usb v clock issue.
I think this is more like, we have one workaround for one manifestation of a larger bug, is there some sort of bugtracker for the X5000 where we can file the weird behavior with KVM switches and certain USB keyboards?
AEon has bug tracker at amigadeveloper.com/bugreports, there is an X5K product there, looking I can't see any reference to this issue. I'd recommend you create an account and log it there. Can't guarantee that wil result in any immeddiate action though.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

broadblues wrote: Don't use the Time Prefs from Enhancer use the original. Problem solved.
Yes, I tried that, but it caused another problem. For some reason, when I reverted back to the original time prefs, it interfered with auto-mounting SMB partitions. I had to manually mount them.

I didn't really bother to investigate, so I just went back to the Enhancer, but I should revisit it over the summer break.
esc

Post by esc »

Hey @broadblues, thanks for the reply! And I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful, for the record. :) Was trying to politely disagree, which is something I struggle to do effectively with written communication.
appturk
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by appturk »

Well I have read all and nothing stated by anyone solves this problem. This in itself is a, much bigger problem. No one has an answer and that leaves me to tell customers ...... nothing as I don't have and can't find an answer. I have tried everything that I have read and still "power off" and date is back to 2001 (yes everything). Setting it to a "time server" for the date and time (no one elaborated on how to do this) is handy but does not address the real problem.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Assuming that you are setting the clock and saving the time properly then you appear to have a hardware issue .
you should be able to set and save the clock using a time server once connected to the internet using the commands below from a Workbench cli .
If you reboot and the time is incorrect then the problem points to a hardware issue .

Code: Select all

C:Date SERVER time.google.com 123 
then

Code: Select all

setclock save
appturk wrote:Well I have read all and nothing stated by anyone solves this problem. This in itself is a, much bigger problem. No one has an answer and that leaves me to tell customers ...... nothing as I don't have and can't find an answer. I have tried everything that I have read and still "power off" and date is back to 2001 (yes everything). Setting it to a "time server" for the date and time (no one elaborated on how to do this) is handy but does not address the real problem.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

appturk wrote:Setting it to a "time server" for the date and time (no one elaborated on how to do this) is handy but does not address the real problem.
Just add to your S:network-startup file:
Date SERVER <ntp server>
SetClock SAVE
and your clock will be set according to NTP every startup.

I use fi.pool.ntp.org now for the server (before I had it as pool.ntp.org). You can also set it in the command to "PREFS" and it will use the NTP server you have set in Time prefs.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@salass00

Most of us may be missing the true story.
He appears to be a Dealer with 2 boards that could be defective.
If they are then putting them in to the hands of customers makes no sense.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
esc

Post by esc »

Stepping back a bit - I could have sworn someone mentioned this was an issue with KVM switch and/or certain USB keyboards. If that's the case, and we consider that to be a defect, that would mean _all_ of these boards are defective, no?