Conflict between lsi53c8xx and RadeonHD driver?

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
Gregor

Conflict between lsi53c8xx and RadeonHD driver?

Post by Gregor »

When I tested a Dawicontrol DC 2976 UW SCSI controller in a X5000, there appeared a serious problem... After Kickstart (including the lsi53c8xx driver module) was loaded, the bootimage was shown on the screen but the colors were distorted, and shortly after that the machine rebooted... This happened after every reboot. If I disabled the driver by commenting it out in Kicklayout, the machine booted normally. As I do not have another NG Amiga nor a second SCSI card, I cannot verify whether this problem is specific to the 'Dawi'/X5000, or if the problem is more general.

So, I guess there is some conflict between the lsi53c8xx.device and RadeoHD driver? Anything to do to cure this issue...?

Could those having a suitable SCSI card and a X5000 (or e.g. X1000), please test whether the problem is present also in their systems?
I do not know whether the graphics card itself has some effect, but mine was a R7 240 and the RadeonHD driver v. 2.21.

Regards,

Gregor
328gts

Request for X5000 users: please test SCSI-controllers

Post by 328gts »

this from Gregor over at aw.net:

"I have a request for X5000 users who happen to have around a PCI SCSI card (e.g. from an older A1) with Symbios 53C8xx chip... Could you please test whether it works with X5000, and report the result here? Thank you!-)

I already tested a Dawicontrol DC 2976 UW, and there was a serious problem... After Kickstart (including the lsi53c8xx driver module) was loaded, the bootimage was shown on the screen but the colors were distorted, and shortly after that the machine rebooted... If I disabled the driver by commenting it out in Kicklayout, the machine booted normally. As I do not have another SCSI card, I cannot verify whether this problem is specific to the 'Dawi', or if the problem is more general.

Regards,

Gregor"
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Conflict between lsi53c8xx and RadeonHD driver?

Post by Cyborg »

Actually, there is no issue on X1000, but what you described is reproducible on X5000. We are currently investigating this.
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
Cyborg
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Cyborg »

Just to let you know, the reason was found and fixed. lsi53c8xx based devices are now working fine on X5000. The components are currently in beta test, but it is not decided yet, when they will be released.
Please contact support@hyperion-entertainment.com rather than trying to send PMs to me. Thanks! :)
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

The updated lsi53c8xx.device (53.22) was FINALLY released in Update 2! Thanks for Cyborg etc. for this fix :-).

There are two minor problems left, though...

1) A cosmetical one... When booting X5000, the text 'AmigaOS 4.1 FE Prerelese' which appears on screen soon after Kickstart has been loaded, has still distorted (negative?) colors during 1-2 second, after which it changes to normal. Can also this issue be cured some way...?

2) If you have connected a SCSI disk which has been jumpered to 'no motor start' (preferable e.g. for a backup disk), it seems to be impossible to spin it up from AmigaOS. I have tested all the scsi utils I know (Scsitools, Q-device etc.) but they are not able to start the disk. For comparison, in A4000T with the native scsi (scsi.device) and with CyberstormPPC (cyberscsi.device) this feature works ok with the same disk, both with OS3.x and 4.1.

What is preventing the spin up with lsi53c8xx.device, and can it be fixed?

PS. As a curiosity, with Linux there is the opposite problem - you cannot prevent the drive from spinning up during booting!