X5040 ByTech Backlite USB Keyboard

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amiganut

X5040 ByTech Backlite USB Keyboard

Post by amiganut »

I purchased a nice ByTech backlite USB keyboard for my X5000. During the Splash screen, the keyboard lights up and then goes out. When it boots up in the Uboot screen, I get a bunch of errors and then finally boots. When it first boots, the keyboard works as a keyboard but to turn on the backlights, you have to hit "Scroll LOCK" but nothing happens. 

I rebooted and the keyboard backlite turns on but the keyboard does not function. I get the USB popup that it recognizes it as a USB keyboard. If I unplug and plug the usb, again I get the USB popup, the backlite is on but it will not function.

I looked in Prefs but didn't find anything in USB or Inputs on backlit. I plugged it into my Win 10 laptop and works fine.

Any thoughts?
Skateman

Re: X5040 ByTech Backlite USB Keyboard

Post by Skateman »

I would first try a powered USB hub.

I use all my USB devices through a powered USB hub.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

I tried a powered hub and it did not work.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Then you might be out of luck-

I tried a number of USB "thingies" under AmigaOS4 and while most of them worked fine under Windows, some refused to do what they should under AmigaOS4 (few of them even managed to crash the usb stack, taking down input and thus the whole system), which makes me believe our usb stack might be too "strict" in some "edge-cases", probably because of the limited testing and lack of usb "thingies" back when it was written
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

Lets try this another way. Has anyone successfully added a backlit keyboard to their X5000? If so, what brand and model? I can just return this one I bought and get a compatible one. I was thinking of trying a Logitech or Apple. According to the compatibility list, these USBs work but it does not mention backlit.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Not on an X5000.

A Perixx PX-1200 runs fine on an x1000, though
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

amiganut wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm Lets try this another way. Has anyone successfully added a backlit keyboard to their X5000? If so, what brand and model? I can just return this one I bought and get a compatible one. I was thinking of trying a Logitech or Apple. According to the compatibility list, these USBs work but it does not mention backlit.
I use the Ducky DK2108SZ connected to a powered USB hub. Working perfect since 2018!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

I found a work around for Amiga OS4.1FE but not the kickstart. I found a Thermaltake Ttesports KB-CMC-PLBD backlit keyboard. It has just what I want. It came with matching red led backlit mouse. The only issue is that Kickstart screen does not recognize it for some reason but OS4.1FE does. Once AOS comes up. It works fine. It has a nice "one button" to turn the back lighting off/on.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Have you tried putting a USB hub (just a simple one without its own power supply) between the keyboard/mouse and the X5000? It seems to cure at least some oddities with keyboard recognition in CFE.

Best regards,

Niels