X5040 u-boot <<<<< Linux Running >>>>>

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
amiganut

X5040 u-boot <<<<< Linux Running >>>>>

Post by amiganut »

I did something to my Uboot settings that it prefers Linux. After the X5000 splash screen, I get a white screen saying "<<<<< Linux Running >>>>>". If I hit Enter, then I get the boot options and Amiga is first and highlighted. I just hit Enter again and Workbench comes up. How do I set it to prefer Amiga OS? I cant find anything on it.

Boot_mode was not set. I set it to boota but still displays "<<<<< Linux Running >>>>>
Gregor

Re: X5040 u-boot <<<<< Linux Running >>>>>

Post by Gregor »

amiganut wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am I did something to my Uboot settings that it prefers Linux. After the X5000 splash screen, I get a white screen saying "<<<<< Linux Running >>>>>". If I hit Enter, then I get the boot options and Amiga is first and highlighted. I just hit Enter again and Workbench comes up. How do I set it to prefer Amiga OS? I cant find anything on it.

Boot_mode was not set. I set it to boota but still displays "<<<<< Linux Running >>>>>
Try set the variable "amigabootmenu_default" to "0" in UBoot. Normally, this variable is changed automatically to the one you have used last time (AmigaOS/MorphOS/Linux), but for some reason it does not always work.

BTW, is your X5040 one of those sold very lately by Relec/Amedia, or an older Beta-tester machine? Could you please tell what is the motherboard revision number (printed on a label on the board), and what version is the UBoot?
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

It is a brand new Amedia board. I see 3 white tags.

SN 116400094
Cpu type: P5040
MCU 2.5
CPLD 2.2.1.0

Cyrus+. rev 2.2
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

amiganut wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:22 pm It is a brand new Amedia board. I see 3 white tags.

SN 116400094
Cpu type: P5040
MCU 2.5
CPLD 2.2.1.0

Cyrus+. rev 2.2
Ok, thanks for the info! The revision# and other values are exactly the same what quadcore Beta boards have... Those new boards are obviously produced at the same time, but kept stored somewhere until now. Also Amedia confirmed that there has not been any recent production run for the quadcore Cyrus+.

How about the UBoot version...? Do you know how to check it? The Sysinfo item at the bottom of the bootmenu shows it, as well as other details about the machine.
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

Is that a bad thing? Do the beta boards have any issues? I just purchased it. I will have to get they uboot in a couple days.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

amiganut wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 pm Is that a bad thing? Do the beta boards have any issues? I just purchased it. I will have to get they uboot in a couple days.
AFAIK there are not any major issues... The revision number (2.2) is the same as for the final (=resale) version of the earlier dualcore Cyrus+ board. So, I think the issues were already polished in beta testing phases of that board.

There has been issues with the realtime clock of some Cyrus+ boards, but I do not know whether they have occurred also in the quadcore version. There is also a known problem with Linux and the onbard ethernet controller (in P50x0 chip), and that is seen also with the quadcore boards (there are few X5000 users which do not have that issue, but the reason is unknown. Maybe some components on their Cyrus boards just happen to be at the other end of tolerance scale than on the majority of bords...?). That issue might be possible to solve by modifying the Linux driver but I do not knof if anyone is working on it currently.
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

I am only going to run AmigaOS4.1FE or later. Is it a solid board for AmigaOS?
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

amiganut wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 pm I am only going to run AmigaOS4.1FE or later. Is it a solid board for AmigaOS?
Probably the most solid available so far for AmigaOS :-). There is not yet support for the the extra cores of X5040 in AmigaOS (there is work going on it, though), so the only advantage of it over X5020 is currently the 10% higher clockspeed.

But if you want later to get the 'maximum' out of your X5040, you may test it also with MorphOS and Linux. MorphOS does have MUCH better WWW-browser (Wayfarer) than AmigaOS, and for Linux there is huge number of stable software, and it can use all the cores of P5040 processor. The ethernet problem I mentioned earlier can be avoided simply by using a separate ethernet board with Linux, they are not expensive.
amiganut

Post by amiganut »

setenv amigabootmenu_default 0 worked. It was set to 2
Firmware: U-Boot molsen-2018-10-05
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

amiganut wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:27 pm setenv amigabootmenu_default 0 worked. It was set to 2
Fine! If you set it to 1, it tries to boot MorphOS.
Firmware: U-Boot molsen-2018-10-05
Thanks for the info. It is still the same as in Beta machines.