X5000 has died after update

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
simulant

X5000 has died after update

Post by simulant »

Hi guys, I hope you can please help.

I ran some software updates in OS4.1 the other day, now when I try to boot the X5000 it either crashes on the OS4.1 splash screen, or after resetting the machine several times sometimes it actually eventually does boot and my monitors says just "Out Of Range".

Before the updates everything was working well.

Can anyone help? I've tried going into the boot menu with Esc key but the menu doesn't come up (I've tried a few keyboards but none are letting me hit escape so I can boot from USB).

I can't even access the early startup menu by holding both mouse buttons down either, even though my mouse has never given me any problems previously...

I've even tried plugging in a usb serial interface in the back and running Screen on linux but no output shows up from the X5000.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Raziel

Re: X5000 has died after update

Post by Raziel »

I don't know how the boot menu and choosing boot devices work on the x5k, but I guess you have to explicitely set it instead of your HDD install, just with the x1k?

If you have no way to get a boot cd to boot and side-step your corrupted hdd install, the only other way I see is to unplug your hdd and try from a single plugged in dvd drive and boot a cd then.

Otoh I dont even know if you have a boot cd, so...

But if it works, you could install a rudimentary setup to another HDD, make it bootable, set the boot priority to something higher than 10, replug your corrupted HDD and reboot.

Then you'll have a working system *and* can inspect your corrupted system install.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Two more things:

1 - on my x1k I HAVE to plug the keyboard into back port #*1*...NONE of the other ports will work with/activate the keyboard in CFE, dunno if uboot has the same limitation, but if you got a keyboard with any led, check if that led gets lit when you reach the uboot display.

2 - There is absolutely no way that a *working* serial output logging does NOT show anything until you reach the OS4 splash screen.
Either your linux setup (screens) is wrong (try a baud rate of 115200, iirc it is the default in CFE, I hope it's the same in uboot) or recheck your linux serial settings.
On my x1k serial logging starts as soon as I turn on the hardware.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Roland

Post by Roland »

simulant wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:51 pm I ran some software updates in OS4.1 the other day, now when I try to boot the X5000 it either crashes on the OS4.1 splash screen, or after resetting the machine several times sometimes it actually eventually does boot and my monitors says just "Out Of Range".
Those symptons would suggest some problem with your graphics board/monitor/cable... Please try to disconnect/reseat your monitor cable, and if you have a second cable (preferably different type of display port/cable you are using now) test also with it.

What graphics board do you have? If you have a second graphics board available, testing with it would be one thing to try.

What type of updates did you run? Where they only some third party programs, and not the OS4.1 itself?
- Roland -
simulant

Post by simulant »

Hi guys, in the end I just reinstalled using my recovery USB drive.

Now I'm all set up and the X5000 boots, but I wondered, is there a way to update my recovery stick in case this happens again?

I had to install the OS updates, hotfix and install software again. It would be great if there's some way to make the recovery usb snapshot my system so that I can just roll back to a basic up-to-date setup if I have a problem again in the future, without having to install patches/updates again?

Also what's the deal is with graphics drivers? I bought my X5000 a few years back from Amiga Kit, and I wondered if there's a better graphics driver out there? Every time I log into AmiSphere or go on the Updater it complains I am not registered for updates or drivers such as Radeon etc. It seems strange I can't get up-to-date graphics drivers for free on a stock system... I may be missing something, so thanks for any help.

Cheers again.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

It should be possible to update your bootable USB stick with the up to date files of your recent OS4 installation.

The graphicdrivers are sold separately, or as a part of the Enhancer software.
http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=Enhancer_Software
It depends on the type of graphics card in your X5000 which version you need.
Most likely its a Southern Island based (Radeon HD) card in your system.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
simulant

Post by simulant »

Thanks Skateman, so is it just as simple as dragging the entire System drive to the System_Rec drive on the USB, and my Work drive to Work_Rec to update the files? Or is that just going to break thing when the recovery tool runs?

Cheers again.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

viewtopic.php?p=55965#p55965

Just copy the stuff needed as mentioned in the post.
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
simulant

Post by simulant »

Thanks much appreciated :)