Test request to all X5000 owners!

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Test request to all X5000 owners!

Post by tonyw »

@Skateman
At this moment everyone using an X5000 with the onboard nic and using OS4.1 FE is having the same MAC address!
True, but that's the fault of the driver, not the hardware or firmware. The Hyperion driver does not have that problem.
cheers
tony
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

I understand that its the driver (software issue)
The same goes for the U-boot software which is not probing the hardware correct and shows the MAC as NULL

Would be great if that would be solved!
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
Vampire 4SA - RPi4 Running AmiKitXE Full
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

What is the version string (from SysInfo) of the naughty U-Boot?

I ask because I have about four different versions of U-Boot here for X-5020 and 5040. None of them shows any problem with reading, writing, saving or repairing MAC addresses.

My two latest versions are:

"U-Boot molsen-2018-03-23" and
"U-Boot molsen 2018-10-05".

... which both work just fine in an X-5040. I have not tried either version in the 5020.
cheers
tony
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

Hi Tony,

My version at this moment U-Boot 2014.04-g16a6dc4-dirty (Mar 08 2018 - 14:13:32)

As you can see in the Amigakit ticket below it is a known issue for quite some time now. Booting the machine with an old U-Boot version and noting the probed mac addresses then using set ethaddr on a later U-Boot version is their suggested workaround.

Even the 2018 version i have running now does not probe the MACS

Would love to give one of your working versions a try

Dave

>
> Amiga Kit Amiga Store
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Support Ticket Number: 12916
> Reply To Support Ticket Here: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... t_id=12916
> Date Submitted: Tuesday 23 January, 2018
>
> The comments for your ticket are as follows:
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for delay,
>
> Ok, you need Win32 Disk Imager. Please download that on your PC.
> One downloaded, run and insert your SD card. Download and unzip this file;
>
> http://technical.leamancomputing.com/Te ... s_5020.zip <---------OLD FIRMWARE
> http://technical.leamancomputing.com/Te ... 7-4-17.zip <---------CURRENT FIRMWARE
>
> Extract and point Win32 Disk Imager to the bin file. Then click "WRITE". Make sure you have the correct drive selected before pressing "WRITE".
>
> Once its written, place in motherboard. Boot, go to Startup Menu and select system info. It will display MAC addresses (stored internally in chips). Note them down. Power down and insert old SD card.
> Boot back up and go into Startup Menu and select "Command Line". Now type; set ethaddr "YOUR NOTED MAC ADDRESS" press return to temp store command, then do same for ethaddr1. Once done. Type saveenv and then press enter. It should now permanantly store the values.
>
> You can check by typing printenv and then press Retur n. It should have MAC addresses stored.
>
>
>
> **DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL- USE THE SUPPORT TICKET SYSTEM TO ADD COMMENTS**
>
AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 570 / Radeon X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS / Linux
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the world
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

OK Dave, I'm convinced. It must be just that version that you have (I have versions before and after your date).

PM me with your email address...
cheers
tony
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

tonyw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm @Spectre660:

Firstly, I don't remember an "issue" with MAC addresses in the past. Gregor's complaint is the only one I've heard and I haven't seen it confirmed by anyone else (Is Skateman confirming the problem?). Until this thread, I didn't even know that U-Boot regenerated the MAC addresses on boot.

Secondly, I think we agreed that Gregor's 2014/2016 version of U-Boot is the same as I am running on both my X-5000s. I do not have a problem.
You won't have a problem, it doesn't lie with U-Boot, but the serial eeprom that contains (or should contain) the boards mac addresses.

This can be accessed from the U-Boot shell, command MAC IIRC (I am using my X5000 so can't check) This has not been programmed with actual addresses on some machines. U-Boot reads these on boot if none have been manually added (By setenv ethadddr) The output I get has MAC addresses matching the ones printed on my board.

I'm surprised you haven't heard about this, it rears it head every now and then, and has done for a number of years.

Regards
Darren

I'm sure I've mentioned this to A-Eon on more than one occasion, not sure why nothing is being done about it.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Thanks for that, Darren.

I've never heard it before, so maybe it was only mentioned in the Linux part of the world.

Now, the next question: how the hell do we program the EEPROM with the missing values?

I do wish we had some proper hardware documentation...
cheers
tony
Acill

Post by Acill »

My X5000 does the same thing. It never had the proper MAC in it and when I updated and lost my MAC it wouldnt restore. The only solution I found after talking with a lot of the developers was to just use a set of MAC addresses that were not used any longer, so I picked some from of the older Commodore Ethernet boards. I still have them in mine.
Skateman

Post by Skateman »

daz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 pm
tonyw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 pm @Spectre660:

Firstly, I don't remember an "issue" with MAC addresses in the past. Gregor's complaint is the only one I've heard and I haven't seen it confirmed by anyone else (Is Skateman confirming the problem?). Until this thread, I didn't even know that U-Boot regenerated the MAC addresses on boot.

Secondly, I think we agreed that Gregor's 2014/2016 version of U-Boot is the same as I am running on both my X-5000s. I do not have a problem.
You won't have a problem, it doesn't lie with U-Boot, but the serial eeprom that contains (or should contain) the boards mac addresses.

This can be accessed from the U-Boot shell, command MAC IIRC (I am using my X5000 so can't check) This has not been programmed with actual addresses on some machines. U-Boot reads these on boot if none have been manually added (By setenv ethadddr) The output I get has MAC addresses matching the ones printed on my board.

I'm surprised you haven't heard about this, it rears it head every now and then, and has done for a number of years.

Regards
Darren

I'm sure I've mentioned this to A-Eon on more than one occasion, not sure why nothing is being done about it.
Hi Darren,

The weird thing is that Amigakit suggests to first place back an older U-Boot version so it can pull the Macs out of the Chips and write them down.
Then place back a newer version and use the set command to "store" them within U-boot.

I know that the probed MACs i have written down back then do match the vendor of the chips.(AFAIK) (Vendor / Company Microchip Technology Inc.)

Dave
khayoz

Post by khayoz »

At this moment everyone using an X5000 with the onboard nic and using OS4.1 FE is having the same MAC address!
Say what again?
Are you saying that all final version X5000 boards are shipped with the same mac adress in the onboard NIC? If so, how?
Major f**k up?

Please explain further.
1989--> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Amy-ITXv1.6, Amy-ITXv1.8, A500 rev8A & rev8A.1 <--2022