WIKI errors for sift.c example in IFFParse Library docs

Report errors, omissions, etc. regarding the AmigaOS Documentation Wiki here.
xenic

WIKI errors for sift.c example in IFFParse Library docs

Post by xenic »

I copied the sift.c example in the WIKI "IFFParse Library" docs, removed some binary codes from the sources and attempted to perform a simple compile with "GCC sift.c -o sift" and found the following errors:

sift.c:(.text+0x220): undefined reference to `OpenClipboard'
sift.c:(.text+0x4e0): undefined reference to `CloseClipboard'
sift.c:64: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type

I had to make the following changes:

Changed 'OpenClipboard' to 'IIFFParse->OpenClipboard'
Changed 'CloseClibboard' to 'IIFFParse->CloseClipboard'
Changed 'IIFFParse = (struct IFFPaseIFace*)' to 'IIFFParse = (struct IFFParseIFace*)' [missing an 'r' character]

The sift program works with the above corrections in the source but the output could be made a little clearer with the findings on seperate lines. The bugs in the source are minor but it wouldn't hurt to fix the sift.c source so that it will compile correctly.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
trixie

Re: WIKI errors for sift.c example in IFFParse Library docs

Post by trixie »

Fixed the errors, thanks for reporting.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

Anyone else think the indentation style of those iffparse examples should be changed to something more easily readable?

I'm fine with either:

Code: Select all

if (expression) {
    blah();
}
or:

if (expression)
{
    blah();
}
The current style gives me a headache just from looking at it.
xenic

Post by xenic »

salass00 wrote:Anyone else think the indentation style of those iffparse examples should be changed to something more easily readable?
I find that having braces on seperate lines easier to read and follow:

if (expression)
{
    blah();
}
That is also the method recommended at openamiga.org Guidelines/Code Styleguide.

It would be nice if the examples in the WIKI could be downloaded as source files. Whenever I copy & paste code from the WIKI, I end up removing some binary codes and reformatting the code.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Don't get me started on code formatting. I have been involved in many formal and informal projects over the years, and those that have laid-down standards usually have little in common. Such rules as indenting, variable/function names, order of function parameters, use of white space and format of comments all vary from one project to another. Then, of course, there are the local rules for documentation. It all takes up valuable time adapting one's habits to a new set of rules each time.

Two things that annoy me particularly (for purely aesthetic reasons) are:
1. variable names all in lower case, the words joined by underscores (such as "engine_water_temperature"); and
2. braces not matched vertically (as Fredrik quoted above).

I agree with xenic on this one. When reading someone else's code, I don't like having to search earlier rows of text to find the start of this block. I like to be able to see the opening brace, at the same indent as the close.
cheers
tony
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

tonyw wrote: 1. variable names all in lower case, the words joined by underscores (such as "engine_water_temperature"); and
I don't really have a preference either way regarding variable naming, but in my own code I usually use all lower case letters for local variables and reserve use of capitalised names for global variables to keep them somewhat separate.
Personally I find it just as easy to match the closing brace to the corresponding if, while, for, do or switch statement.

In fact one might argue that having the opening brace on the same line as the if, while or whatever makes it more clear that it's not just a solitary block for limiting the scope of variables defined in it.

Also you didn't say what you think of the style on the wiki which is:

if (expression)
    {
    blah();
    }
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Ye gods, I didn't notice that one. Looks awful. In my view, the outside of the opening brace is at the same level as the preceding statement. Inside the brace is one level higher, so it should (IMHO) read:

if (expression)
{
    blah();
}
cheers
tony
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

salass00 wrote:
tonyw wrote:
Also you didn't say what you think of the style on the wiki which is:

if (expression)
    {
    blah();
    }
That gets my down vote too!

Cooincidentally I just worked through some code, which whilst other well written used that indenting style, and I was twitching like madman by the end of it :-)

There seem a wide slection of style in that wiki article.

There tools for fixing suich things in src code not sure you could easily apply them to the wiki though.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote: It would be nice if the examples in the WIKI could be downloaded as source files. Whenever I copy & paste code from the WIKI, I end up removing some binary codes and reformatting the code.
Indeed, it's because the wiki code converts spaces to nonbreaking spaces to preserve the code layout, would be useful to be able to download or copy unmodified src clips to the clipboard, I guess a different wiki "code plugin" might be required for that.
OldFart

Post by OldFart »

@Thread

[LURKINGMODE=OFF]
It's been a while since I last posted anything on any Amiga-related thread: due to circumstances I've become a lurker por the past one-and-a-half year. In that timespan I've changed address more often then in the preceding 6 decades and hence, I don't care to unpack and setup my X5000 again or any time soon.

However, Tony wrote and this piqued my interest:
Two things that annoy me particularly (for purely aesthetic reasons) are:
1. variable names all in lower case, the words joined by underscores (such as "engine_water_temperature"); and
I couldn't agree more and, being a stickler for coding style, I'd like to take the opportunity to add some more:
3. Function names all in lower case, the words joined by underscores (such as "_all_i_wanted_to_know_about_sex_"). This seems a bit of a trend in places like Github. I'm all for a style ressembling an oral command as "<Command>_<Subject>", like "Get_Record", or "Calculate_NettResult". Function names in Amiga's libraries look quite like this.
4. braces not only matched vertically, but utilising the odd columns (1, 3, 5, etc., etc.), while text starts on even columns.
5. Allways use braces! Even if it encloses only one line of text.
6. use of tabs. As a great mind once remarked about not setting the tabwidth to 4 (or was it 8?) is like redefining pi to something different from 3.14. His observation was quite right, but his conclusion did not match mine. My stance on this one is: don't use tabs, but spaces as they are unubiquitous.

Ok guys, that's it. Back to:
[LURKINGMODE=ON]
X5000, appears to be sick. Dismantled jan 1, 2024.
Dead MicroA1
A1200 in ElBox, c/w Blizzard '040 @ 50MHz + SCSI module, ZIV-board c/w (o.a.) cv64/3d + flickerdoubler + FastATA-ZIV + Lots of SCSI gear, sitting idle.
RaspBerry Pi 2B, 3B, 4B/4Gb, 4B/8Gb
OrangePi 5+ 8Gb
ACER Windows 10