Linux on sam640LE

Linux only discussion for the AmigaOne 500 and Sam series
musa

Linux on sam640LE

Post by musa »

Hi all
I just set up my new sam640LE with Os4.1fe and Morphos and everything works perfectly except the sound card.
I have a question about Linux that I hope someone can help me with.

Can anyone tell me if the text in my menu.lst file is correct

delay 3
default 0

title VOID for Sam460LE
root idea 0:1
kernel /boot/uImage-460 root=/dev/sda3 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
dtb /boot/sam460ex.dtb

I have an ext3 partition on the first hard drive partition 3. I have used rsync to transfer the contents of a mounted void.img to this partition.
In (root) / I have my menu.lst and parthenope reads it and forms a menu item.
I am using the 4.5.0sam460ex kernel to boot
in /boot I have
canyonlands.dtb
sam4g0ex.dtb
syatem.map
uimage-460
I press enter in the menu item but void does not start.
Someone who can figure out what I'm doing wrong
Thanks in advance
Musa
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Linux on sam640LE

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:35 pm Can anyone tell me if the text in my menu.lst file is correct
Did you type by hand or is that exact? I can see one issue:
root idea 0:1

Looks like that should be:
root ide 0:1

Don't know why it's needed as it knows where the boot files are if it boots it. If that isn't it did you see any fail messages?
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Hupex
thanks for answering my post. You are right that the correct text is: root ide 0:1
I discovered the error myself I have used hard disk 1 partition 3 for my last attempt to run linux on my Sam.
my /boot/menu.lst looks like this now.
delay 3
default 0

title void for Sam460ex
root idea 0:3
kernel /boot/uImage-460 root=/dev/sda3 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
dtb /boot/sam460ex.dtb

Unfortunately, I can no longer test linux on my sam as I no longer have a usable graphics card.
I hope I will manage to get hold of one soon.
How did you set up your linux on your Sam if you have one at all?
Have a nice day
AmigaX1000
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:23 pmUnfortunately, I can no longer test linux on my sam as I no longer have a usable graphics card.
I hope I will manage to get hold of one soon.
How did you set up your linux on your Sam if you have one at all?
Have a nice day
Hi. That's no good. I wonder if you are stuck on the common ppc Radeon issues.

When I upgraded my precise to trusty and then xenial I had issues with graphics. I needed to reset my SI config which was messed up in the first upgrade. The later was worse, even though the settings were intact, because it used Gnome 3 which needs 3d hardware. I fixed this by installing gnome-session-flashback and activating it in the login screen. A desktop would now work. Just not the Unity one I had been using.

So, I don't have a Sam, but a friend does have a Sam flex, that I recently tested with Linux. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to install it, because I could only find net installers that didn't work as the sources are dead. I gave up after two hours looking online. And that was only time looking for sources. Not downloading and setting up CDRWs and booting. Figuring out why the SATA drive is random at showing up. ...

I thought I had prepared by looking up all the info I could find here on the older Sams. Only to find all the downloads are net installs and dead now, I would have been better off installing the really old Debian off ACube and fiddling around trying to get the gfx card to work.

That reminds me. You install Void? How and where did you get that? :o
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Hypex
The problem with my graphics card is that I don't have any in my Sam. I have used it in my A1000.
I install Void this way.
I created 3 partitions on my sam disk. 2 for workbench and work. Then I took the hard drive out of my sam machine and connected it to my main linux machine via a sata to usb converter. Here I opened Gparted and formatted the 3rd partition on the same disk with ext3.
Then I mounted an img file of Void and with rscync I copied the contents of the img file onto the 3rd partition. I put the necessary files to boot in /boot on the 3rd partition.
Then I reinserted the hard drive into my Sam and booted. There was a new menu item but it just didn't work.
Have a nice day
AmigaX1000