Feature request for 'Find'-command

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
OldFart

Feature request for 'Find'-command

Post by OldFart »

Hi,

Being a vivid and enthousiastic user of the Find-command, I notice a dire need for some improvements. I would like to see 2 checkboxes about the following aspects:
- Skip links
- Skip .info

Being a heavy user of (soft-)links, looking for a certain file can generate a lot of entries all pointing to one and the same file and no way way to find out the actual location of that entry.
Likewise, with a lot of files having an icon of their own, the list contains these entries without any actual usefull contribution.

I hope this would be possible.

Regards,
OldFart
X5000, appears to be sick. Dismantled jan 1, 2024.
Dead MicroA1
A1200 in ElBox, c/w Blizzard '040 @ 50MHz + SCSI module, ZIV-board c/w (o.a.) cv64/3d + flickerdoubler + FastATA-ZIV + Lots of SCSI gear, sitting idle.
RaspBerry Pi 2B, 3B, 4B/4Gb, 4B/8Gb
OrangePi 5+ 8Gb
ACER Windows 10
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Feature request for 'Find'-command

Post by Hypex »

I agree. I find that Find will get stuck on links in a recursion, excusing the pun. Then will give an error about a file it found not existing. Huh?

I suspect it needs to check the file type and read the link. Internally it looks like treating the file generically is failing. So it cannot transparently use DOS to open it and have DOS resolve it.

I would add that it needs better selection. I mean, if you select drawer to scan, it still wants to scan all volumes! This isn't very logical to me. So I always have to deselect all and select what volume I want. Or drag it in to search in it.

If Find had options to select only what drawer is active, say in tooltypes, that would alleviate it.