Font with both negative value for kerning (-9) and spacing(-9) should be displayed with Multiview

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
gdridi

Font with both negative value for kerning (-9) and spacing(-9) should be displayed with Multiview

Post by gdridi »

Hello,

I’m the author of Arabic Console available on os4depot.
I want Arabic text work with the graphics Text() function so I set negative value for kerning and spacing (i.e : -9 I used TypeFace program available on aminet) and it displays a sentence of Arabic word great with this Text() graphics (readjusting letter after letter the current displacement to the left).
But, sad news, multiview display only positive value.

Is it possible to enhance multiview when preparing the length of a sentence (to get absolute value instead of negative) perhaps TextLength() before using actual Text() ?

For me, there’s no need to change a lot to display right-to-left font (even if somebody says it’s a hack). Because I see AmigaOS always has followed KISS principle(s).

Best regards,
DGILLES - The ArabSCII guy
gdridi

Post by gdridi »

:roll: @admin something to delete
Last edited by gdridi on Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gdridi

Re: Font with both negative value for kerning (-9) and spacing(-9) should be displayed with Multiview

Post by gdridi »

A more recent discussion is available at:
gdridi wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:32 am
Raziel

Re: Font with both negative value for kerning (-9) and spacing(-9) should be displayed with Multiview

Post by Raziel »

gdridi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:56 pm A more recent discussion is available at:
gdridi wrote: ↑Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:32 pm
Is my console/font/graphics library/Odyssey version just not able to display what might there...or is there nothing to display?
Curious...and puzzled
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
gdridi

Post by gdridi »

Raziel wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:38 am
gdridi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:56 pm A more recent discussion is available at:
gdridi wrote: ↑Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:32 pm
Is my console/font/graphics library/Odyssey version just not able to display what might there...or is there nothing to display?
Curious...and puzzled
The font mungi-?-kufi.font won’t display in a font browser, in Multiview and in other program that start rendering at 0,0 the font.
But, you can use Text() graphics function with (200,200) to see something.
I ´m so confused and I apologized to let people believe they can see something with Multiview or an Internet browser (odyssey).
If you want to use ´my’ font use TypeFace font editor from aminet and save the font without negative values.

Best regards,
DGILLES
gdridi

Post by gdridi »

@tonyw

I’m sorry if I wasted your time on graphics to treat RightToLeft text, because (on Amiga) it’s a topic on disk font library but a lack of documentation to know if it’s done the implementation complete.
So I change my abstract on os4depot.net (18/12/2022) :
"
Set up an arabic console device:
================================

Even if graphics/console.device (Text(), ANSI cursor addressing sequence) do not
fully support Right-to-Left fonts.
That is to say, so few documentation in graphics or (disk)font libraries without
R-t-L font example.
Is it right and sufficient to set to negative values: kerning & CharSpace font
attributes? That's what my kufi proposed font does.
"

The fact was is blitter goes backwards in memory is NO !
So if you specify a (0,0) coordinate with a nine width font, you have to ´blit’ at (-9,0) so kerning -9 value.

Then (this part I´m not sure) after the blit we have advance and add the width so we’re on (0,0) again and need to go (-9,0) with tf_CharSpace -9 value to add.
So -9 two times: kerning and CharSpace.
All that folk, because Text() graphics function can/do render more the one character at a time: a complete string.

I apologized Tony again but I think I ´m the Arabic guy to contact first if you want to know how Arabic (classical) works.

But, for the moment I trying to find someone with datatype experience to finish the Arabic support on AmigaOS (console device and data type with Multiview).

There’s an option FILENAME_font in Multiview to specify the font but it won’t begin at right margin with my font perhaps it lacks F_REVPATH flag bit set to operate.

Best regards,
DGILLES - the Arabic guy