Consistency

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
Amigo1

Consistency

Post by Amigo1 »

I know it is not well seen if it is asked to "copy" a function from other Operating Systems to AmigaOS, but at the end if something proves to be efficient and well thought through... This post was previously very long and I explained the thoughts behind this enhancement request, but I ended up deleting it and just suggesting briefly my request. I remember I had already commented about the Menu-Keyboard-shortcuts of the Workbench, but I can't find the thread; mainly it was about having common and consistent WB-shortcuts in all the languages, this however is a little different.

Workbench/Icons menu has the RAmiga-C shortcut which copies an icon, but in every string gadget this combination is used too, in a slightly different way, as it merely copies the entry to the clipboard, and then needs to be "pasted" somewhere else with "RAmiga-v".

Contextmenus uses the wording "duplicate" to.. duplicate a file/drawer, and then it has an entry named exactly as the one in workbench, named "Copy" but which then works like the one in string gadgets. Of course I got used to that, but it is not that logical at the end.

To delete a file the Workbench menu shortcut is RAmiga-D (ouch it does not duplicate!!!!), but "RAmiga-Delete" or even better "RAmiga-Backspace" has no function.

So the need to press two keys, "RAmiga and D" is good but since the backspace key is ubiquitously used to delete, RAmiga-Backspace seems convenient to me.

Learning a lot of shortcuts for the same thing might be fun, and memory and mind training is all and well, but a little more consistency in the system would do well IMHO, even if this means changing something witch hasn't changes since 20years. :-)
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Consistency

Post by tonyw »

There are a lot of places where consistency could be improved, and I assure you that whenever a developer starts to do some maintenance work on a component, he/she is pestered with requests like "while you're doing that, can you just fix this", etc (from other developers).

It's an ongoing task and we are all very aware of the places where it has become messy over the years. Mostly it is because of different people using different styles and operating under different rules. We are trying to improve things and most of the nasty inconsistencies like those you mention are the subject of long-standing bug reports.
cheers
tony
chris

Post by chris »

Mentioned elsewhere too, but on a related note, the WB menus don't conform properly to the Style Guide.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

tonyw wrote:There are a lot of places where consistency could be improved, and I assure you that whenever a developer starts to do some maintenance work on a component, he/she is pestered with requests like "while you're doing that, can you just fix this", etc (from other developers).

It's an ongoing task and we are all very aware of the places where it has become messy over the years. Mostly it is because of different people using different styles and operating under different rules. We are trying to improve things and most of the nasty inconsistencies like those you mention are the subject of long-standing bug reports.
Ok, thanks for explaning. I hope I did not step on anyones foot by posting my idea. I will keep in mind what you told me, but when I have some idea in the future I will post it never the less, just in case someone else didn't have it, and maybe I will coincidently support someones idea when the other devs are pestering him ;-)
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

chris wrote:Mentioned elsewhere too, but on a related note, the WB menus don't conform properly to the Style Guide.
I still have not read the whole artictle of the Style guide, once I have, I'll know what is not worth posting about. :-)
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

Amigo1 wrote:I know it is not well seen if it is asked to "copy" a function from other Operating Systems to AmigaOS, but at the end if something proves to be efficient and well thought through... This post was previously very long and I explained the thoughts behind this enhancement request, but I ended up deleting it and just suggesting briefly my request. I remember I had already commented about the Menu-Keyboard-shortcuts of the Workbench, but I can't find the thread; mainly it was about having common and consistent WB-shortcuts in all the languages, this however is a little different.

Workbench/Icons menu has the RAmiga-C shortcut which copies an icon, but in every string gadget this combination is used too, in a slightly different way, as it merely copies the entry to the clipboard, and then needs to be "pasted" somewhere else with "RAmiga-v".

Contextmenus uses the wording "duplicate" to.. duplicate a file/drawer, and then it has an entry named exactly as the one in workbench, named "Copy" but which then works like the one in string gadgets. Of course I got used to that, but it is not that logical at the end.

To delete a file the Workbench menu shortcut is RAmiga-D (ouch it does not duplicate!!!!), but "RAmiga-Delete" or even better "RAmiga-Backspace" has no function.

So the need to press two keys, "RAmiga and D" is good but since the backspace key is ubiquitously used to delete, RAmiga-Backspace seems convenient to me.

Learning a lot of shortcuts for the same thing might be fun, and memory and mind training is all and well, but a little more consistency in the system would do well IMHO, even if this means changing something witch hasn't changes since 20years. :-)
Hehehe.. I forgot I had already suggested this.. I was about to suggest it again.. :lol: