Expand AISS to a complete set

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Expand AISS to a complete set

Post by LyleHaze »

The AISS images are a great help to any art-challenged coders.
At this time only a small subset of the complete AISS package
is included in the OS distribution.

If a programmer wants to use images outside the few that are
already included, then the end user is required to install AISS
first, OR the programmer would have to request permission
to include the images with the app, OR the programmer may
implement something as a fall back.

If the full set was included as part of the OS distribution, it
would go a long way towards providing a standard look and feel
without jumping through hoops.

Of course this would also require permission from the artist.
Raziel

Re: Expand AISS to a complete set

Post by Raziel »

Hi Lyle,

the artist/creator is Mason...and iirc he should also be on the dev list of AmigaOS4
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

LyleHaze wrote:Of course this would also require permission from the artist.
I do believe we already have permission.

You weren't around for the (private) discussion at the time. There are A LOT of files included with a full AISS distribution. At the time, the team decided to include only a small subset to keep things manageable.

Perhaps there is some happy medium? For example, an "Amiga Essentials" set of AISS images?
ExecSG Team Lead
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

ssolie wrote: I do believe we already have permission.

You weren't around for the (private) discussion at the time. There are A LOT of files included with a full AISS distribution. At the time, the team decided to include only a small subset to keep things manageable.
Yes, the complete set is rather large. Out of the question for floppy based distributions*.. And considering it more, probably not good for a CD based distro if things are getting crowded already (I have not looked)
ssolie wrote: Perhaps there is some happy medium? For example, an "Amiga Essentials" set of AISS images?
The "browser basics" are already present, that makes sense.

The only ones I care about are those used in various Camd Tools and Score, but that's because I am only looking out for myself. :)

Perhaps I should just request permission from Mason to include what I need with my programs.

*"floppy based distributions": Yup, I boot AmigaOS4 from floppies all the time. Doesn't everyone?? :shock:
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

I see no benefit in reducing the AISS, if anything just the reverse, just keep the OS on par with the latest release of AISS at all times and be done with it. AISS is of enormous benefit to me, 4000+ files is no big deal, they are only loaded when requested so no noticeable slowdown... as for floppies I thought the whole point was in moving forwards, not backwards.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

One of the problems discussed in the past was not primarily the size, but the number of files in one directory. It does (did) make the installation (and partly also the subsequent usage) quite slow.

I think if the files could be arranged in a more hierarchical way, and maybe installed from an LhA archive instead of from an unpacked/flat directory, it would already be more manageable to have the whole thing included.

Best regards,

Niels
spotUP

Post by spotUP »

Yeah, include the full thing, install from an lha archive like niels said.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@All

There is another problem with it: as there is too much files , then if user will choice FFS as system partition, and install full AISS set on FFS partition,then every single startup of any app which use AISS, will take about 10-20 seconds. Can you imagine new user get aos4 , install it on FFS (by any of reasons), and then some apps starts in 20 secs. Bad experience. I notice that for yourself , and after just move whole aiss to SFS and change assigns in startups.

Imho need to wait when Martin will change the layout somehow (it also was discussed and he have ideas if i remember right about), just while its not done, there no reasons to include whole set as there can be ugly situations like it was for me.

But what is for sure will be nice, its to include whole aiss set as default to os. Just need re-layout it normally. In todays age of hdds, and that we already include some media which even bigger and not necessary, i see no reasons to not include whole thing once it will be re-design to have less files in one dir (or FFS should be abandoned, then we can just .lha whole aiss and unpack it from ram on installation stage).
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

If I might add my 2 cents as a humble user, I agree with kas1e and everyone else suggesting the whole AISS package to be included.

I don't have access to my Amigas and the AmigaOS 4.1 install CD right now, but isn't AISS included in the contribution folder? Where to get the additional images? I can't find anything on Mason's webpage.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

@kas1e: why should it load 10-20 seconds? which coder included a whol aiss system in his software? I have no problem with having 4000 files in the aiss folder, the programmers pick the icons they want all other files are not touched. This is very fast...

@topic: it would be nice if aiss is installed completly, should be standard for AmigaOS. But it is also not a problem if it is on a contribution cd, every user who need it should find and install it quickly without searching the internet, so the contribution CD is ok (or the contents of it with directlinks for download -> i would prefer it because i dont have a cd-rom device ;) ).