Partially selected state for checkbox.gadget

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
chris

Partially selected state for checkbox.gadget

Post by chris »

The Checkbox ReAction gadget could benefit from a "partially selected state". This is the state used to indicate that the children have some, but not all, items selected. It is usually depicted in other operating systems as a dot or square. The user themselves won't be able to pick this, it will only be available to set and read programmatically. If the user clicks on a partially selected checkbox it will change to a fully selected one.

Currently checkbox gadgets cannot display this state and have to pick between checked or unchecked, which can be misleading.
listbrowser.gadget suffers from this when hierarchical and checkboxes are set, as partial selections further down the tree can't be indicated at the top level.

There is not even an appropriate glyph.image built-in to use for this with a custom button.
amifrog

Re: Partially selected state for checkbox.gadget

Post by amifrog »

sounds usefull.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@chris
The Checkbox ReAction gadget could benefit from a "partially selected state".
Don't know if it helps you but the tickbox.gadget from the Enhancer class set has this feature. I know because I implemented it :-) I'll be happy to add it to the system checkbox as soon as the lawsuit is over and OS4 development restarts.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
chris

Post by chris »

trixie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:30 pm @chris
The Checkbox ReAction gadget could benefit from a "partially selected state".
Don't know if it helps you but the tickbox.gadget from the Enhancer class set has this feature. I know because I implemented it :-) I'll be happy to add it to the system checkbox as soon as the lawsuit is over and OS4 development restarts.
Hmm, possibly, although the Autodoc on the wiki doesn't appear to mention this? http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=T ... dget_Class
trixie

Post by trixie »

@chris
although the Autodoc on the wiki doesn't appear to mention this
It doesn't, but the autodoc that comes with the Enhancer SDK certainly does. The SDK also contains an example demonstrating the use of the feature.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition