About NotePad (Clear)

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
OldFart

About NotePad (Clear)

Post by OldFart »

Hi,

Whilst NotePad is my main (read: only) editor for editing textfiles like source files, I encounter one rather anoying habit of this editor and that has to do with the 'Search'-option. Multiview handles this matter very correct, but NotePad is quite lacking.
The issue I have is when searching for an expression the result, when found, is shown at the bottom line of the page. I then have to scroll that line up (pressing 'Shift' when scrolling alleviates the issue to some extent) the entire page. Annoying!
Could this behaviour be changed to the way MultiView does? So showing the expression on top of the page?

OldFart
Last edited by OldFart on Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
X5000, appears to be sick. Dismantled jan 1, 2024.
Dead MicroA1
A1200 in ElBox, c/w Blizzard '040 @ 50MHz + SCSI module, ZIV-board c/w (o.a.) cv64/3d + flickerdoubler + FastATA-ZIV + Lots of SCSI gear, sitting idle.
RaspBerry Pi 2B, 3B, 4B/4Gb, 4B/8Gb
OrangePi 5+ 8Gb
ACER Windows 10
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: About NotePad

Post by nbache »

This has actually been reported in Bugzilla quite some years ago.

I agree with you, it's a daily annoyance, and I wonder why I haven't already reported it myself long ago (sometimes I guess you just grow used to things without thinking about the possibility that they could work differently).

But now I have updated the report with a reference to your post, so we'll see if someone can find time to do something about it (or at least tell us why it might not be possible).

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I have also sworn at this problem: and also at the fact that if you resize the window, the text is shown starting at the beginning, regardless of where it was when you resized.

The problem is probably unfixable. NotePad uses texteditor.gadget, which is a horrible mess of code (a single 10,000-line source file). I believe Rigo is the only person who understands it. Basically any change such as a Search redraws the document starting from the cursor position.

It would be nice if a Forward search showed the highlighted text at the top and a Backward search showed it at the bottom, but that's just my opinion.

I don't dare try to change anything in that gadget - the side effects could be disastrous. I have had to write a new library (similar in scope) for a long-term project, but it won't see the light of day as a gadget.
cheers
tony
OldFart

Post by OldFart »

Ok, that is clear enough. I think it therefore safe to asume that the chance of this issue ever getting addressed is like the main selling point for alcoholfree beer: 0.0%.

Thanks.

OldFart
X5000, appears to be sick. Dismantled jan 1, 2024.
Dead MicroA1
A1200 in ElBox, c/w Blizzard '040 @ 50MHz + SCSI module, ZIV-board c/w (o.a.) cv64/3d + flickerdoubler + FastATA-ZIV + Lots of SCSI gear, sitting idle.
RaspBerry Pi 2B, 3B, 4B/4Gb, 4B/8Gb
OrangePi 5+ 8Gb
ACER Windows 10