Tabbar on bottom?

AmigaOS users can make feature requests in this forum.
amifrog

Tabbar on bottom?

Post by amifrog »

Is there a way to make a (future) tab bar appear on the bottom of the page, or even left or right (90 degrees rotated) by choice of tags, rather than reimplementing own new classes to achive this?
Or, is there a render method of bespoken class to make it appear at 90 degrees rotation for instance?
trixie

Re: Tabbar on bottom?

Post by trixie »

@amifrog

You mean in the clicktab.gadget? Well, placing the tabs below the page group (rather than above it) should be quite trivial to implement. But don't hold your breath, the work on the ReAction class set is progressing at a snail's pace. And even when there is actual progress, no updates get released to the public :cry:
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

@amifrog

Can you provide an example when this would be actually wanted? To me it seems more logical/convenient to always have the tabs above the page group.

I tried inputting "tabs on bottom" in google but it seems most of the results are regarding FireFox and AFAICT no one wants the tabs to be at the literal bottom of the window (instead they want them to be just under the URL string and bookmarks bar as they used to be).
trixie

Post by trixie »

@salass00
it seems most of the results are regarding FireFox and AFAICT no one wants the tabs to be at the literal bottom of the window
SoundForge (at least the version I have, Audio Studio 10) uses the tab bar placed at the bottom. It is used to flip between the File Explorer and the File Properties page group.

Although I agree that the top placement of the tab bar is more natural, there are GUI setups where placing the tabs below the page group makes good sense. And - providing the programmer with choice is always good.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

The clicktab.gadget afaik has had Top/Bottom placement since the ReAction on OS3 implimentation,
and I don't really see it lending itself to usage on Left/Right borders very well.

Are you meaning for the clicktab.gadget to have dynamic placement after the window layout is made or by programmer choice when designing the layout in a window?
trixie

Post by trixie »

@Belxjander
The clicktab.gadget afaik has had Top/Bottom placement since the ReAction on OS3 implimentation
No. The page group (i.e. the paged layout attached to the clicktab via CLICKTAB_PageGroup) is always placed below the tabs that control it. You cannot change this (unless you decide to handle the page flipping yourself, by reacting to the tab input and performing a WM_RETHINK after each page change).
I don't really see it lending itself to usage on Left/Right borders very well
You don't seem to have understood amifrog's question. Tabs on the left/right make perfect sense in certain GUIs. Ever seen Digita Organiser?
The Rear Window blog

amifrog

Post by amifrog »

Sorry for being back late.

Of course it makes no sense to layout the tabs in the same way as if they were on top of the page group panel.

Just take a look at every spreadsheet application in the world: the tabs for every table are at the bottom, not top.

the organizer example is a good one: you would like to have vertical rotated text for that or even wider tabs for square embedded pictures.

btw can the actual tab contain additional objects, like little images next to the text or even another gadget, for e.g. a close (x) functionality? Or like GIMP, having little icons instead of text?

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/screenshots/

It's about flexibility. Sometimes it makes sense to layout the gui differently, or even in a "new" way.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@amifrog
Just take a look at every spreadsheet application in the world: the tabs for every table are at the bottom, not top.
Well, as I've said above, there's a certain way to achieve this with the gadget. You create a clicktab gadget with no page group attached (CLICKTAB_PageGroup, NULL and CLICKTAB_PageGroupBorder, FALSE) - Intuition will display just the tab row, which you can easily place at the bottom of your GUI. Then you listen to the clicktab events, and when you receive a message specifying which tab has been selected, you flip the respective page (by setting the PAGE_Current attribute) and then invoke the WM_RETHINK method on the window object, to update the display.
can the actual tab contain additional objects, like little images next to the text or even another gadget, for e.g. a close (x) functionality?
Yes, this is already possible - see the documentation for the CLICKTAB_CloseImage, CLICKTAB_FlagImage, TNA_Image and TNA_SelImage attributes in the clicktab autodoc. You cannot embed a gadget in a tab but if you specify CLICKTAB_CloseImage, the image will act as a close gadget. Its actual placement in the tab is controlled via CLICKTAB_ClosePlacement.
The Rear Window blog