Fienix 6.0.1

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
sailorMH

Re: Fienix 6.0.1

Post by sailorMH »

thanks!

So Fienix is installed without problems. First modern linux after some years on my X1000!
Only with Southern Island card it is slow compares to my old Debian 8.
I have to check where are the configs differs.
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

Please, where to find info about Fienix Companion? There is no man entry...

After base installation ( rsync ) I add second graphics card (HD6670) and added appropriate xorg.conf - I spent with it much more time than with old distros (MintPPC 11 and Debian 8).

After then I found utility Fienix Companion, with item Fienix GPU enabler, which can do all wok for me. But I don´t know, what exactly these idems do. Please, are there any info?
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

sailorMH wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 pm After then I found utility Fienix Companion, with item Fienix GPU enabler, which can do all wok for me. But I don´t know, what exactly these idems do. Please, are there any info?
It enables hardware acceleration.

Actually it changes the "driver" from fbdev to radeon in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-compat.conf or something similar to that.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

yes, I know, I enable it ourselves on my secondary card (after some work), so this item probably change files in xorg.conf.d somehow.

But there are many other items in Fienix Companion - i.e blackboxes, which I don't want use, If I don't know what exactly they doing. It will be great if somewhere will be manual. Now it is in the state: click and wait for surprise ;-)

sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

Are there some tips how to speedup Fienix? I have to look for system services.

Glxgears with Fienix + Mate has cca 1200 FPS and Debian Sid + Mate cca 2200 FPS with the same card. Also my feeling is that fienix desktop is a liitle slower.

xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

sailorMH wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:14 pm Are there some tips how to speedup Fienix? I have to look for system services.

Glxgears with Fienix + Mate has cca 1200 FPS and Debian Sid + Mate cca 2200 FPS with the same card. Also my feeling is that fienix desktop is a liitle slower.

Thank you for testing Fienix. :-) I added your reply to the X5000 Fienix thread because Casey looks in this thread regularly.

Link: Fienix 6.0.1 -- X5000 thread

sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

Thanks.
It was only a quick finding, I have to look for running services, and try to setup hw accel automatically by Fienix Companion ( I done it manually ).

Now I am working on reinstallation of linux on PowerMac G5 ( it is much harder now than with X1000 ) and we will have some family celebrations. Aproximatelly after one week I will be ready for testing. And testing kernels of course ;-)

Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Is it possible to upgrade from an older Fienix?

I had to fix my sources list as the key was old which fixed a few update errors. But I find the system still isn't right as software like Meld still doesn't show up in Syntaptic so I have to locate the deb online and install it by hand.

So I think it would be best if I upgraded it. But can it be upgraded? Or does it need a full reinstall? Or even the install over the top upgrade trick?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

FYI:
caseycullen wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:34 am Hi All!

Mesa 23.1.2 has been added to the Fienix Evo repositories. I suggest upgrading for improved system performance. I've listed improvements measured by glxgears and glmark on my X5000 (with Radeon HD6870) below.

Mesa 22.3.6 approximate average: 2138 FPS
Mesa 23.1.2 approximate average: 2518 FPS

Mesa 22.3.6 GLMark Score: 2476
Mesa 23.1.2 GLMark Score: 3208

-Casey

Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Okay so I've downloaded the installer and can foresee some issues.

Tools like 7Zip report a difference in compressed file sizes. It looks like it doesn't know about 64 bit archives but I used the latest x64 version. :-?

Even so, it looks like it expanded the image correctly. Despite Windows claiming it was corrupt when attempting to mount. I even checked with a hex editor but could not decipher any MBR by eye.

The guide states you need an 8GB stick but the image is 12GB. That won't fit! To add to confusion 7Zip claimed a 3.5GB file was compressed to 4.5GB.

I was able to image the file to an external USB SSD I had in cradle. Presently unused. Saving me from scrapping a USB stick and hopefully faster. :-)

I actually went back to Linux to do this. Not liking the danger with of mistyping the device point I found Disks could find the drive and let me restore the image to it. Seeing info like USB boosted my confidence for not destroying my main SSD. :-D

So then I went back to Windows. For some other things as well. I plugged in my drive. The boot volume mounted. But there are only X5000 files in there I can see. I assumed CUB meant X1000 as well but the boot files are missing.

There is no zImage-6.1 but there is a zImage-6.
Note: Realised this is due to Windows truncating extensions so it knocks off the decimal point. Because FAT is Windows native I expected to see full file names.

However the initrd.img is totally missing so this cannot boot.

Hint: All boot commands could be saved into boot script for one line typing in CFE. UBoot should also support this.

The guide for "Booting into Fienix Installed onto an HDD or SSD" cannot be followed because no commands are given.

https://fienixppc.blogspot.com/p/cfe.html