X1Boot Manager 1.1 Update

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

X1Boot Manager 1.1 Update

Post by Hypex »

Hello every one.

I have a much needed update for the X1Boot Manager. This is manly a bug fix update but does bring with it some new features. I recommend installing this as it solves a few issues that crept up after my initial release.

New features
  • Progress bars! Now all long operations such as installing kernels, ramdisks or modules will open a progress bar with the current operation in progress.
  • Optimised compression. The XZ compressor is now optimised for PowerPC binaries. This can further reduce files sizes by a decent amount.
  • Optimised kernels. Kernels installed will now be stripped down to reduce size. The System map will be installed to "/boot" folder.
  • Module updating. Reinstalling kernels will now update modules instead of skipping over existing ones.
  • Password checking. Passwords are now checked and verified to work before performing any root file operations.
  • Default kernel can now be set to None.
Bug fixes
  • Install Menu kept looping around asking for ramdisk when not needed. Thanks to musa for report.
  • Oversized kernels broke during loading due to size limitation. Thanks also to musa for report and xeno74 for solution.
  • Ramdisk creation could fail on later Debian releases (like Fienix) due to missing default path.
  • Removing kernels was broken.
  • Accidentally removing ramdisk used in menu entry.
  • Default kernel and ramdisk could be blanked out.
  • Various fixes where internal tracking of names could be corrupted or blanked out.

Other changes
  • Default compression is now set to 9 as now it is only used with GZ as XZ uses PPC mode.
  • Install Menu will only ask for ramdisk now if Ramdisk is enabled in settings or is needed.
  • Will now quit if either "OK" or "Cancel" is pressed from main menu.

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RNeSRR ... sp=sharing
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: X1Boot Manager 1.1 Update

Post by Hypex »

Place holder.
musa

Post by musa »

Hi
Is this a way to make amigaos the default boot in xboot menu?
Right now I have inserted fienix as menu item and when the boot menu loads I have fienix as number 1 and default and amigaos as number 2.
I want amigaos as number 1 (default)
Thanks
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Hi musa.

Sorry I only found your post today by happenstance.

AFAIK the menu order is determined by partition order. At least on my system with one HDD DH0, DH1 and DH2 show up first. So if your X1Boot volume is picked up first by AmigaBoot it will list it first.

I'm not aware of being able to change it in Kicklayout. But I did have this problem a while ago. The solution is to set a CFE variable. You can set boot_config to the name of your label you want as default. In this case you can't have duplicate labels. As an example I have this set as default for my stable Workbench:

Code: Select all

boot_config=AmigaOS_4.1_Final_Edition_S
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Great description!
Hypex wrote: X1000 Linux doesn't exactly have a boot loader. It used to boot Linux kernel from USB which uses the same method as from HDD. I used a preset menu entry that runs a CFE command to boot from USB. That means, using the CFE boot command, it loads an ELF binary into a specified location and then jumps to the entry point.
Thanks!

Please note:

CFE firmware does not recognise USB devices on power-up unless they are connected to the first USB port which is reserved for the keyboard. Unless you have a USB hub connected to the first port which allows you to connect both the keyboard and USB stick, you will need to insert the USB stick AFTER you have entered CFE.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.