How to solve the login loop issue?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

How to solve the login loop issue?

Post by Hypex »

So. After the reminders I decided to upgrade my Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. It gave me a warning about graphics since by then I would have replaced my 5450 with an R7 250 by then. So I cloned it first to test to avoid breaking my present install.

And break it did. I never did get it back into a working state. But a few days ago I did I migrated from a black screen to a log in screen. After installing linux-firmware-nonfree. I thought I had fixed it. But all I had done is gone from low graphics warning and black login to a working login and no desktop.

What happens is I log in and then it disappears and takes me back to the log in screen again! I've only seen this on Debian where I had no disk space left. But here I have 10GB with 15% free so it certainly has space. Is this a known PPC Linux thing? I think we need to collect all the info needed to fix a broken upgraded system.
xeno74

Re: How to solve the login loop issue?

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 pm What happens is I log in and then it disappears and takes me back to the log in screen again! I've only seen this on Debian where I had no disk space left. But here I have 10GB with 15% free so it certainly has space. Is this a known PPC Linux thing? I think we need to collect all the info needed to fix a broken upgraded system.
Maybe you find a hint in the following thread.

Link: Lubuntu 14.04
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

xeno74 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:59 pm Maybe you find a hint in the following thread.
Thanks. I've read through it but nothing stands out. Apart from the render acceleration I can test off.

Also, I've managed to break my Ubuntu 12.04 now. Right now it too is going into a login loop for some reason, loading up a guest session, then returning back when I log in. I tested 5.13, 5.12, reverted to 5.11 and now it's broken. I also tried 5.2 and it won't work any more as above. I don't know what's happened to it but it's as if 5.12 did some damage. :-?
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Okay I solved it. It was the .Xauthority file. It must have got ruined when Xorg failed to start on the later kernel. It was tied to root. Had to reset it to my account.

I knew it had to be something simple. Since I could still log in as guest. And the desktop was fine. Which was bizarre since I had auto log in. So it shouldn't have even asked me to log in.

I looked it up online.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

I don't know what I was thinking with the above but this problem is not fixed. I must have somehow got the same problem on my 12.04 Ubuntu and fixed it there. But the main problem on 14.04 is still there. I'd like to incrementally upgrade it to the latest I can. But later releases tend to break something.

What I don't understand is the log in screen displays so the graphics driver and settings certainly work. But after logging in it goes blank and comes back. What is it looking for?

I've tried to look through the logs but I can't see anything that would cause any issues. X11 appears to load the drivers fine in the log. But with LightDM I did see some error about not being about to open VT7 on /dev/console. VT7 was already open with a login screen. So why is LightDM failing to use the sane VT7? I have no idea! :?:
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:23 am But with LightDM I did see some error about not being about to open VT7 on /dev/console.
Have you tried to install and test another display manager for example Slim?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install slim 
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

xeno74 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:30 am Have you tried to install and test another display manager for example Slim?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install slim 
I haven't tried Slim. Thanks for the hint. I did try GDM from advice online but the result is the same. This is a common issue on PC as well. But I don't know if I have a common issue or an X1000 issue.

I thought it may have been graphic drivers. But the screen displays. Trying to copy xorg files from my older one and new Fienix made no difference. Still log in loop. But since the screen does display I may wasted time on something redundant since the graphic drivers work perfectly fine for log in screen.

Whether it's related or not I downloaded glxgears to test. Could not open. Something about lack of glx but I forget now.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Hello. :)

Problem found! I found what is causing the issue. I had this in the back of my mind and should have looked into it first but it's been so long since I was trying to figure it out. The problem is Gnome and 3d rendering. Gnome needs working 3d hardware drivers. Without it it just aborts and loops around with no error. I was aware of this since the time I built the XE Linux installer I had to use LXDE as Gnome refused to work on both an R200 and with only software rendering. I found a short note in a log about an error in software rendering in a Gnome log,

Proposed solution. I've found a work around. I discovered there is a package called gnome-session-flashback. This provides an older style desktop that doesn't need 3d support. I had to select this is as Gnome Flashback for session in login with Metacity renderer. Compiz renderer doesn't work as it need 3d. I checked glxgears and the error was about not able to open display. But after testing it in Flashback session it was able to open fine and gave me about 106FPS for my software renderer. :D

I've got somewhat used to the Unity way with the text box and side dock. But I always preferred menus and the side dock always looked odd on the left. Plus icons got lost in it. So hopefully I can adjust to using Flashback. Now it's telling me there is another update so all I need to do is upgrade it again and break it once more! :P