Presenting the X1Boot Manager!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Presenting the X1Boot Manager!

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:12 am Hi Hypex
One more information
this is the setup of the my x1boot partition .
xboot.jpg
Your partition looks fine. If AmigaBoot can see it then the format is fine. What does the x1boot:boot/ folder looks like with installed kernels?
musa

Post by musa »

Hypex wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:18 pm

Your partition looks fine. If AmigaBoot can see it then the format is fine. What does the x1boot:boot/ folder looks like with installed kernels?
Here is folder x1boot/boot
By the way what parameters is your x1 boot partition formatted. International, long filenames?
x1boot2.jpg
Thanks
Peter
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:17 pm Here is folder x1boot/boot
By the way what parameters is your x1 boot partition formatted. International, long filenames?
x1boot2.jpg
Thanks
Peter
That looks fine from here. This isn't mentioned but to load from AmigaBoot and indeed CFE the kernel size is limited to around 15MB or so like the old UBoot. It's only a FFS limitation AFAIK because you can load 30MB off FAT. But for some reason the FFS driver in CFE is crippled. In any case CFE also uses slow PIO mode so it's best squash it down. :-)

Shouldn't matter but do you have any other older kernels to test? And did you have any issues when installing them in the manager like some kernel names being filtered out?

I've wondered if protection bits affect it. I've noticed CFE has some inconstancy in dir listings. The protection bits are all over the place. On OS4 they looks fine. And on Linux it seemed okay.

Mine is DOS3 so yes international. It's the best the Linux affs driver supports with both read and write support.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:48 am Shouldn't matter but do you have any other older kernels to test?
There are a lot of older kernels for testing available: www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Good luck :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Hypex
I do not think the file size is the problem here. 5.11 is 13909392 m.
No matter if I use a dir command or a boot command I get errors like this :
could not init file system: file system is not avaible.
Even on my amigaboot.of boot partion I get this error.
But since the amiga boots well, the system can see the partition. since the feinix menu appears in the amigaboot menu, the system can also see the x1boot partition.
dir -fs = amigafs ide0.1: could not init file system: file system not available *** command status = -6
dir -fs = amigafs ide0.1, Bdh0: could not init file system: file system not available *** command status = -6
dir -fs = amigafs ide0.5, x1boot: boot could not init file system: insuffient menory *** command status = -30
boot -z -elf -noints -nousb -fs = amigafs ide0.5, x1boot, boot / vmlinux5.11 *** command status = -6
I'm about to be a little resigned to the fact that it will work on my machine so I think I'll go into the thinking box a bit :)

After writing this I created a menu in x1boot with a zimage file and went to the amigaboot menu. here I chose my new menu item with zimage and to my surprise booted Feinix.
So linux start with a zimage kernel but not with a normal kernel.
I will now test all my linux partions in x1boot which is ubuntu-16.04, Feinix, ubuntu 17.04 remix, Debian bullseye 64 bit, Debian / mint 32 bit and Fedora. I have never used packaged kernels so it will be new
Have a nice day.
Peter
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

musa wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:59 am boot -z -elf -noints -nousb -fs = amigafs ide0.5, x1boot, boot / vmlinux5.11 *** command status = -6
Hi Peter,

I am sorry, I haven't seen -z in your command string. You're right. This works only with zImage kernels.
Thanks a lot for your patience and for your help with testing.

Sorry,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
musa

Post by musa »

xeno74 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:31 am
musa wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:59 am boot -z -elf -noints -nousb -fs = amigafs ide0.5, x1boot, boot / vmlinux5.11 *** command status = -6
Hi Peter,

I am sorry, I haven't seen -z in your command string. You're right. This works only with zImage kernels.
Thanks a lot for your patience and for your help with testing.

Sorry,
Christian
Hi Christian
It is OK. it makes no difference. it was a typo that I wrote linux-5.11 and not zimage-5.11 but that does not change the fact that it does not work for me in CFE. Gets the same error with -z and zimage-5.11. It irritates me that I can not get in touch with my amigaboot partitions in CFE at all. But right now I'm not getting any further but am glad I was able to make the xboot work.
Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000
musa

Post by musa »

Hi
Here is my amigaboot menu with new linux boot menus
PSX_20210527_180048.jpg
Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:10 pm Hi
Here is my amigaboot menu with new linux boot menus
Wow cool. You've really set it all up. Hope they all boot! :-P

It must look strange seeing Linux entries in an AmigaBoot menu. :-D
I do not think the file size is the problem here. 5.11 is 13909392 m.
Okay I managed to boot it directly from CFE. But there is a problem when AmigaBoot loads in. Which looks exactly like your first screen posted. This is rather unfortunate. I'm not sure if CFE can be reached to run commands like UBoot can. But the loader could read in files directly in future as a possibility.
No matter if I use a dir command or a boot command I get errors like this :
Something is wrong there. I managed to boot a kernel from my X1Boot volume. I only got stuck when I forgot the -fs option. Then it worked. :-?
After writing this I created a menu in x1boot with a zimage file and went to the amigaboot menu. here I chose my new menu item with zimage and to my surprise booted Feinix.
So linux start with a zimage kernel but not with a normal kernel.
Excellent. If you have any archives handy it may just be easier to install from those. Since you can select a bunch at once as well. With default settings it will look for zImage first and fall back to vmlinux. It''s a good idea in any case as you will need the modules installed. It will skip if modules are installed already.

In the meantime I suggest setting Level to 9 or using XZ. But XZ is really slow compressing, don't know why. However, if another next big thing comes along, I can add support and it will work transparently.

I don't the know why the compressed vmlinux files are larger than the zImage. As I use the same compression to my knowledge. Now I wonder if they are being stripped.
musa

Post by musa »

Hypex wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Something is wrong there. I managed to boot a kernel from my X1Boot volume. I only got stuck when I forgot the -fs option. Then it worked. :-?
What is your full commadoline?

AmigaX1000