Presenting the X1Boot Manager!

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
xeno74

Re: Presenting the X1Boot Manager!

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm I tested kernel 5.13 but had problems booting. It did load in though.
I successfully tested all 5.13 kernels on my X1000 but I booted them directly from the CFE.

@Musa
Could you also please test the RC3 of kernel 5.13 with the direct boot from the CFE and with the X1Boot Manager?

Thanks
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
musa

Post by musa »

xeno74 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Hypex wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm I tested kernel 5.13 but had problems booting. It did load in though.
I successfully tested all 5.13 kernels on my X1000 but I booted them directly from the CFE.

@Musa
Could you also please test the RC3 of kernel 5.13 with the direct boot from the CFE and with the X1Boot Manager?

Thanks
Hi Christian
Unfortunately, I have kernel panic on all attempts to boot with kernel 5.13 rc3. Have tried on Ubuntu 16.04, Feinix and Debian 64 bit all with the same result. Has reformatted the usbdisk. All linux starts from cfe menu without error.
I will try later to put a linux on a usbdisk and then try to boot it.
Peter
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Your set up is slightly more complicated than mine musa. I was booting Linux off USB for years and had these CFE menus set up. But then I found a GZipped image could be loaded off HDD which was good. Until I got my X1Boot working and simplified it with one AmigaBoot menu.

So tonight I duplicated my Fienix entry without ramdisk. Booted into it and used the quick option. I can confirm it ends up a loop. Sorry about that. I did some thorough testing but knew something had to creep through. It should only insist on a ramdisk when the root is uuid or label but it was meant to skip if it wasn't needed.

Now from the picture I can see that the kernel is still loading and it hasn't even reached the X1Boot loader yet. Without a ramdisk the kernel will take up most of the time and progress bar. Something has gone wrong while amigaboot.of is loading the kernel but it's hard to tell what.

I wonder if you are able to boot the kernel directly from CFE. Given the kernel from your CF card was installed from the editor with default GZ this command should boot it up from HDD. But you will need to confirm the partition and file are correct.
boot -z -elf -noints -amigafs ide2.2:boot/vmlinux-5.11.
Last edited by Hypex on Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

xeno74 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm
I tested again tonight and it must have been a glitch. 5.13 does work for me. But something has happened to my Fienix as it keeps booting in maintenance mode.

Did you get a chance to test out X1Boot to see if it's useful for testing kernels? ;-)
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:29 pm Did you get a chance to test out X1Boot to see if it's useful for testing kernels? ;-)
I will test it too but we have to fix Musa’s issues with the kernel 5.13 first.

@Musa
Could you please boot the RC3 of kernel 5.13 from the internal CF card?
Hypex wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm boot -z-elf -noints -amigafs ide2.2:boot/vmlinux-5.11.
This is also a good idea.

Please also try:

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -amigafs ide2.2:boot/vmlinux-5.13
Or

boot -elf -noints -z -amigafs ide2.2:boot/zImage-5.13

musa

Post by musa »

Hypex wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:23 pm
I wonder if you are able to boot the kernel directly from CFE. Given the kernel from your CF card was installed from the editor with default GZ this command should boot it up from HDD. But you will need to confirm the partition and file are correct.
boot -z-elf -noints -amigafs ide2.2:boot/vmlinux-5.11.

Hi Hypex
I opened cfe and entered
setenv bootargs "root = /dev/sdc4" enter and entered boot -elf -noints -amigafs ide0.5: boot/vmlinux5.11
and enter.
-amigafs wrong command

again boot -elf -noints -fs=amigafs ide0.5: boot/vmlinux5.11
could not load ide0.5: vmlinux5.11: Insuffient memory.
No luck

I deleted everything in the x1boot partition except amigaboot.of and again reinstall x1boot in Fienix. Checked that there was a feinix menu that there was a kernel and the files in the menu folder had correct paths. Tested again from the amiga boot menu and this time I got a little further than where the machine freezes. i ended up in cfe with the following message
*** program exit status = 0
CFE>

Thanks
Peter
AmigaX1000
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Hypex wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:29 pm I tested again tonight and it must have been a glitch. 5.13 does work for me.
Thank you for testing the RC3. :-)

Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:01 pm Hi Hypex
I opened cfe and entered
setenv bootargs "root = /dev/sdc4" enter and entered boot -elf -noints -amigafs ide0.5: boot/vmlinux5.11
and enter.
-amigafs wrong command
Sorry forgot that about amigafs quirk. It's somewhat weird to me that it doesn't default to FFS or use a similar shortcut since Amiga people will be using it mostly.

I had a check in my CFE to confirm the proper format. On my CFE I have set some variables so I can quickly view contents of volumes. I have one called dh for "dir harddisk" and another called dx for "dir x1boot". Now the first volume on my HDD contains AmigaBoot binary. My X1Boot volume sits on DH14. BTW mine is 1GB size, DOS3 and 512 block size. My dh and dx:

dir -fs=amigafs ide0.1:
dir -fs=amigafs ide0.1,dh12:
Now, assuming your X1Boot device name is called x1boot and sits on 0.5 the following should list your installed kernels:

dir -fs=amigafs ide0.5,x1boot:boot
This should boot it off X1Boot volume if installed as kernel in GZ format as default:

boot -z -elf -noints -nousb -fs=amigafs ide0.5,x1boot,boot/vmlinux5.11
Okay so, did it exit after AmigaBoot loaded all the files? If there are files missing the loader would report it if it was loaded. I find AmigaBoot can be annoying as it doesn't always tell you if something is wrong and I don't know how to enable debug output.

BTW, I uploaded a new deb, that ramdisk loop should be fixed now. :-)

Edit: I just noticed that your vmlinux5.11 has no dash and the manager will filter it out in the file selector. It does this on purpose as the kernels I checked in the release archives have a dash and to keep it all uniform. Do you have a collection of dashless kernels and were you able to install kernels okay from the kernel manager?
musa

Post by musa »

Hypex wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 am

I had a check in my CFE to confirm the proper format. On my CFE I have set some variables so I can quickly view contents of volumes. I have one called dh for "dir harddisk" and another called dx for "dir x1boot". Now the first volume on my HDD contains AmigaBoot binary. My X1Boot volume sits on DH14. BTW mine is 1GB size, DOS3 and 512 block size. My dh and dx:

dir -fs=amigafs ide0.1:
dir -fs=amigafs ide0.1,dh12:
I got this: could not init file system: file system is not avaible

Okay so, did it exit after AmigaBoot loaded all the files? If there are files missing the loader would report it if it was loaded. I find AmigaBoot can be annoying as it doesn't always tell you if something is wrong and I don't know how to enable debug output.
After I select the linux boot in the amigaboot menu.

BTW, I uploaded a new deb, that ramdisk loop should be fixed now. :-)
thanks I will download
AmigaX1000
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Hypex
One more information
this is the setup of the my x1boot partition .
xboot.jpg
AmigaX1000