ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by corto »

I've found the reason of the ubiquity crash.

The tool parted_devices is used and here it gives:
$ sudo parted_devices
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 4, root block at 586272
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 4, root block at 1768296
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 2, root block at 161015808
/dev/sda 500107862016 ATA WDC WD5000AZRX-0 amiga
/dev/sdb 500107862016 ATA ST3500418AS msdos
/dev/sdc 7743995904 USB DISK 2.0 msdos

I think that the first 3 lines are unexpected.

The crash appears in /usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py at line 407, in this function:

Code: Select all

    def free_space(self):
        biggest = 0
        with misc.raised_privileges():
            proc = subprocess.Popen(
                ['parted_devices'],
                stdout=subprocess.PIPE, universal_newlines=True)
            devices = proc.communicate()[0].rstrip('\n').split('\n')
            for device in devices:
                if device and int(device.split('\t')[1]) > biggest:
                    biggest = int(device.split('\t')[1])
I modified the faulty line (the second to last) with:

Code: Select all

                if device and device[0..3] == '/dev' and int(device.split('\t')[1]) > biggest:
I was able to run the installer, at least until this step where it is asked to choose a username and a password. Then, it was too late (1 am) for me to go further ...

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote: I was able to run the installer, at least until this step where it is asked to choose a username and a password. Then, it was too late (1 am) for me to go further ...
That is really awesome! Well done!!!!!! :-) Could you please finish the installation?
xeno74 wrote: There is an easy way to create an own user.
  1. System - Administration - Users and Groups
  2. Click the button Add to add a new user

    Image

    Image
  3. Click the button Advanced Settings after typing the Username and Password
  4. Choose the tab User Privileges. I'd suggest checking all of the options.

    Image
  5. Code: Select all

    sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    It displays some text as follows:

    Code: Select all

    [SeatDefaults]  
    allow-guest=false  
    autologin-guest=false
    autologin-user=ubuntu-mate
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    
  6. Delete the ubuntu-mate user and leave it blank
  7. Delete the line autologin-user-timeout=0
  8. Reboot your X5000 or X1000
After adding all User Privileges you can add your new user to the group sudo with the following instructions:
  1. Click the button Manage Groups
  2. Select the group sudo
  3. Click the button Properties
  4. Mark the user to be added by placing a tick mark on the left next to the respective name
  5. Click the button OK
Image
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote: $ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS (DRM 2.48.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

And:

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes
GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_draw_instanced,
GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2,
Congratulations! You have hardware 3D acceleration! Unfortunately your Radeon HD 6570 is not really fast. I recommend the Radeon HD 6870.

Image
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote:I've found the reason of the ubiquity crash.

The tool parted_devices is used and here it gives:
$ sudo parted_devices
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 4, root block at 586272
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 4, root block at 1768296
Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 2, root block at 161015808
/dev/sda 500107862016 ATA WDC WD5000AZRX-0 amiga
/dev/sdb 500107862016 ATA ST3500418AS msdos
/dev/sdc 7743995904 USB DISK 2.0 msdos

I think that the first 3 lines are unexpected.
I don't have the first 3 lines:

AmigaOne X1000 (ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS PowerPC Live DVD):

sudo parted_devices

Code: Select all

Pralloc = 0, Reserved = 2, blocksize = 2, root block at 121152
/dev/sda	2000398934016	ATA ST2000DM001-9YN1	amiga
/dev/sdb	240057409536	ATA ESA3SF1240GB	msdos
/dev/sdc	256901120	ATA SanDisk SDCFB-25	msdos
VMware Workstation 12 Player (ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS x86_64 Live DVD):

sudo parted_devices

Code: Select all

/dev/sda	4294967296	VMware, VMware Virtual S	unknown
corto wrote: The crash appears in /usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py at line 407, in this function:

Code: Select all

    def free_space(self):
        biggest = 0
        with misc.raised_privileges():
            proc = subprocess.Popen(
                ['parted_devices'],
                stdout=subprocess.PIPE, universal_newlines=True)
            devices = proc.communicate()[0].rstrip('\n').split('\n')
            for device in devices:
                if device and int(device.split('\t')[1]) > biggest:
                    biggest = int(device.split('\t')[1])
I modified the faulty line (the second to last) with:

Code: Select all

                if device and device[0..3] == '/dev' and int(device.split('\t')[1]) > biggest:
I was able to run the installer, at least until this step where it is asked to choose a username and a password. Then, it was too late (1 am) for me to go further ...
I tried your fix today. Yes, it doesn't crash at the beginning but some dialog windows for example "Download updates while installing Ubuntu MATE", "Installation type" (partitioning) don't appear anymore. That means creating partitions doesn't work anymore. The next dialog window is the location and keyboard setup. Unfortunately it crashes while it gets the time from a network server. It's a crash in libwebkit2gtk. I updated libwebkit2gtk to version 4.0-37. Unfortunately it doesn't work either.

Code: Select all

ubuntu-mate kernel: WebKitWebProces[18450]: unhandled signal 11 at ffffc0b4 nip 1c720a48 lr 1c720a3c code 30001
I tried different time servers but without any success. I think it crashes because the installer doesn't find any partitions to install ubuntu MATE.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by corto »

@xeno74

About parted_devices, you don't have the first 3 lines but ... one unexpected. So the result is the same: a crash. Too bad about WebKitWebProces ... an error could not be worst than happening in WebKit :-(
Will see if it is possible to circumvent that ...

I definitely thought my X1000 under Ubuntu 16.04 had a problem of performance. I suspected a problem of cache and maybe it was the case because did not copy modules initially ... After that, the CPU usage due to Firefox decreased a lot but the global performance (and user experience) was not better.

I finally found that I did not use in CFE "set pmu -astate=A4"!
After that, the boot is fast and everythinig seems to be ok now (glgears gives around 1000 FPS).

As we are talking about FPS, could you tell how to interpret the 3 values in supertuxkart (I will run it later again).

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote:@xeno74

About parted_devices, you don't have the first 3 lines but ... one unexpected.
Yes, you're right.
corto wrote: I definitely thought my X1000 under Ubuntu 16.04 had a problem of performance. I suspected a problem of cache and maybe it was the case because did not copy modules initially ... After that, the CPU usage due to Firefox decreased a lot but the global performance (and user experience) was not better.

I finally found that I did not use in CFE "set pmu -astate=A4"!
I have forgotten the thing with "set pmu -astate=A4". I configured it in 2013.
corto wrote: As we are talking about FPS, could you tell how to interpret the 3 values in supertuxkart (I will run it later again).
Which 3 values do you mean?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
AlfredOne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:45 pm
Location: Rome , Italy
Contact:

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by AlfredOne »

daz wrote:
AlfredOne wrote: Hi Christian,
i modified fstab but it doesn't resolve the problem.
I'm not a linux expert, but i think the problem is very early in the startup phase. /etc/fstab is not accessible if linux can't mount the root partition, is it?
Booting with bootargs 'root=/dev/sdc3 rootdelay=5' i can see following logs:
BOOT_FAILED_01.jpg
BOOT_FAILED_02.jpg
I see lots of COMRESET failed messages, It's a long time since I've seen those, I don't get them any more.

They are due to a bug in the kernel/CFE that I have been unable to locate/fix, which occurs in a system like yours which has a very high end graphics card, i.e one with a 256bit memory bus - I used to see them with my 4850 - and only 2Gb memory installed.
...

Hope this helps
Darren
I installed two x 2GB DIMM and the problem disappeared!!!
Now my wife can switch on the AmigaOne and use Linux.

Thank you very much, Darren.
Alfredo
Amiga500 Kickstart1.3
AmigaONE XE G4 833MHz - 2GB RAM - Radeon9200 256MB
AmigaONE X1000 - 2GB RAM - Radeon R9-280X 3GB + Radeon HIS4670 1GB DDR3 - AmigaOS4.1
My site: http://project4a.webs.com

corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by corto »

xeno74 wrote:
corto wrote: As we are talking about FPS, could you tell how to interpret the 3 values in supertuxkart (I will run it later again).
Which 3 values do you mean?
You can see them in the first screenshot of this page: http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2011/01/gr ... dness.html

Looking at it now, I suppose it means minimum, average et maximum ... but I'm not sure ... and I don't know what Ktris means.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

corto wrote:
xeno74 wrote:
corto wrote: As we are talking about FPS, could you tell how to interpret the 3 values in supertuxkart (I will run it later again).
Which 3 values do you mean?
You can see them in the first screenshot of this page: http://blog.supertuxkart.net/2011/01/gr ... dness.html

Looking at it now, I suppose it means minimum, average et maximum ... but I'm not sure ... and I don't know what Ktris means.
I see, but unfortunately I don't know what ktris means either.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5886
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 Live DVD

Post by xeno74 »

ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS PowerPC with lstopo and kernel 4.10-rc4:

Image
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

Post Reply