Kernel 4.4

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote:Works (and thanks :-). I have a conflict that can't be resolved between the binary AMD firmware and the basic Ubuntu linux firmware: linux-firmware linux-image-powerpc64-smp linux-powerpc64-smp
Many thanks for testing! :-)

Did you test the RC4 with a card from the new Radeon 3xx series? Could you please explain me more the conflict between the firmwares? Do you mean the firmware packages?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
Srtest
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote:Works (and thanks :-). I have a conflict that can't be resolved between the binary AMD firmware and the basic Ubuntu linux firmware: linux-firmware linux-image-powerpc64-smp linux-powerpc64-smp
Many thanks for testing! :-)

Did you test the RC4 with a card from the new Radeon 3xx series? Could you please explain me more the conflict between the firmwares? Do you mean the firmware packages?
Not yet but I will. Yes the firmware packages are in conflict: linux-firmware (and linux-image-powerpc64-smp, linux-poperpc64-smp) from the base Lubuntu installation is in conflict with the binary AMD package you posted from Debian. Is it safe to boot Lubuntu without those packages and instead use the package from Debian?

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: Not yet but I will. Yes the firmware packages are in conflict: linux-firmware (and linux-image-powerpc64-smp, linux-poperpc64-smp) from the base Lubuntu installation is in conflict with the binary AMD package you posted from Debian. Is it safe to boot Lubuntu without those packages and instead use the package from Debian?
I think, we don't need to install any firmware packages because the firmwares are included in the Linux kernel.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
Srtest
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by Srtest »

xeno74 wrote:
Srtest wrote: Not yet but I will. Yes the firmware packages are in conflict: linux-firmware (and linux-image-powerpc64-smp, linux-poperpc64-smp) from the base Lubuntu installation is in conflict with the binary AMD package you posted from Debian. Is it safe to boot Lubuntu without those packages and instead use the package from Debian?
I think, we don't need to install any firmware packages because the firmwares are included in the Linux kernel.
Well, here goes nothing...

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Srtest wrote: Well, here goes nothing...
Do you mean you can't boot without the installed firmware package or do you mean you can't remove the firmware package?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
Srtest
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by Srtest »

I mean it is an expression from Star-Wars... which in turn means that since I'm not a linux wiz I go with my gut in those instances and it said to trust the Xeno-man :-)

Thanks! got a big boost in glxgears results under LXQt 10.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Hi all,

I have done a git revert of the commit ' [RFC/PATCH,v2] powerpc/iommu: Support "hybrid" iommu/direct DMA ops for coherent_mask < dma_mask (https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/472535/)' without these following files:

Code: Select all

arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/pci-ioda.c
arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/iommu.c
After that I compiled the kernel 4.4.0-rc5 and the P.A. Semi Ethernet interface works without reverting the two files above.

Download: vmlinux-4.4-rc5-AmigaONE_X1000.tar.gz

New:
Image

OK, the problem must be in the following files:

Code: Select all

arch/powerpc/Kconfig
arch/powerpc/include/asm/device.h
arch/powerpc/include/asm/dma-mapping.h
arch/powerpc/include/asm/iommu.h
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-iommu.c
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-swiotlb.c
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma.c
arch/powerpc/sysdev/dart_iommu.c
include/asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h
Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

I have removed the source code from the Nemo patch for the following file:

Code: Select all

arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-swiotlb.c
After that I compiled the RC5 again and the P.A. Semi Ethernet interface is still working. That means the removed source code isn't responsible for the problem.

Here are the rest of the files which I need to solve the problem with the P.A. Semi Ethernet:

Code: Select all

arch/powerpc/Kconfig
arch/powerpc/include/asm/device.h
arch/powerpc/include/asm/dma-mapping.h
arch/powerpc/include/asm/iommu.h
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-iommu.c
arch/powerpc/kernel/dma.c
arch/powerpc/sysdev/dart_iommu.c
include/asm-generic/dma-mapping-common.h
New Nemo patch: nemo_4.4-5.patch
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Another way to create an initrd:
  1. Execute

    Code: Select all

    make install
    inside the kernel source directory as root.
  2. Code: Select all

    cp /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-rc6_A-EON_AmigaONE_X1000_Nemo ../vmlinux-4.4-rc6-AmigaONE_X1000/
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: Kernel 4.4

Post by xeno74 »

Hi All,

I successfully compiled the RC6 with the new Nemo 4.4-5 patch today.

Download: vmlinux-4.4-rc6-AmigaONE_X1000.tar.gz

New:
Debian Sid PowerPC with MATE and kernel 4.4.0-rc6. You can also see the new iceweasel 43.0.1:

Image

Merry Christmas,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.

Post Reply