(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
papaoskar

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote:
papaoskar wrote: However, keeping both systems at the same level regarding settings is a lot of work.
Or do you mean the system settings like font size, themes, network settings etc?

-- Christian
Hi Christian,
exactly I mean the system settings.

Thanks to Spectre for his work of providing us with a new image. I will try it later. What are the differences to the earlier image?

The error message see at attachment. Which of the entries in the sources.list should I delete?
56 or 58?
Thanks for your advice.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote: Thanks to Spectre for his work of providing us with a new image. I will try it later. What are the differences to the earlier image?
It's the final version of ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS with all updates.
papaoskar wrote: The error message see at attachment. Which of the entries in the sources.list should I delete?
56 or 58?
Thanks for your advice.
Where is the attachment?
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote: It's the final version of ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS with all updates.
papaoskar wrote: The error message see at attachment. Which of the entries in the sources.list should I delete?
56 or 58?
Thanks for your advice.
Where is the attachment?
Hi Christian,
sorry I forgot that in a hurry. Here it is.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote: sorry I forgot that in a hurry. Here it is.
Could you please post your sources.list?

papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote:
Could you please post your sources.list?
Hi Christian,
I hope I don't forget to append the list. I compressed it because it seems to be too long to be displayed in the forum.
One remark: This is a changed list and does not necessarily show the relation to the previous msg above.
Meanwhile I have modified the list and it seems to ok now at least in my view.
Attachments
sources.list.tar.gz
(905 Bytes) Downloaded 485 times
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

Hi Christian,
I have brought the img file ...NI-3.img.7z to a 16 GB stick and it works flawless here. I now have to find out the differences between the version on stick and the version I am using currently from hard disk. Especially what the sources list concerns. Will report.
Bye
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

I'm planning to buy a new GFXcard for my A1X1000, will I need to re-install Ubuntu/Lubuntu 16.04? I am currently still using a Radeon HD 5450. I'm asking since there are 2 different installation images (for northern and souther island GFXcards)

Also, (sorry for hijacking this thread) which Card would you guys recommend, a Radeon HD 7970 or a Radeon R9 280X?
Reading the fine list Hans de Ruiter put togehter, both cards are AmigaOS4 compatible, but how about Linux and kernel 4.5? (last entry about kernel 4.5 and radeon 7970 is in February).

What I could find in the www so far, the 7970 is a little faster, even though it is older..
papaoskar

Post by papaoskar »

papaoskar wrote:Hi Christian,
I have brought the img file ...NI-3.img.7z to a 16 GB stick and it works flawless here. I now have to find out the differences between the version on stick and the version I am using currently from hard disk. Especially what the sources list concerns. Will report.
Bye
I have given up in comparing the two. Too much differences. So I will not report.
My new idea is to bring the currently working system as bootable system to a stick. 16 GB should suffice.
But how to do?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote: I have given up in comparing the two. Too much differences. So I will not report.
My new idea is to bring the currently working system as bootable system to a stick. 16 GB should suffice.
But how to do?
How big is your root file system disk space of your installed ubuntu MATE on your hard disk?

You can figure out it with df -h/lsblk.

Is your new USB stick big enough, then you can copy the ubuntu MATE system from the hard disk partition with dd to a USB stick directly with a booted ubuntu MATE from another USB stick.

Please boot your ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS from your USB stick. Insert the new USB stick in another USB port. Please note the drive/partition device names. (lsblk)

After that you can copy it with dd to the new empty USB flash drive.

Code: Select all

dd if=partition name of=disk drive name
For example:
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdh

kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I have been wondering whether there might be an easy way to get my nicely working MATE onto my SSD. It boots so slowly on the current rotating hard drive.

So, two questions:

1. Does this look right?

Code: Select all

bart@Amigaone:~$ df -h /dev/sdb2
Filesystem      Size  Used   Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        979M     0    979M   0%   /dev
Surely I have done something wrong. "Used 0"? Also, I get the same results for a flaky MATE on my SSD which surely should be different.

2. Would I be able to copy to a partition, or would it have to be an empty drive, as when I copied this current img?