(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6794
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

New ubuntu MATE system info:

Image
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
mechanic
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by mechanic »

xeno74 wrote: OK, here are the installation instructions:
  1. Download the image from the following link: Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img.7z
  2. Decompress the downloaded image with 7-Zip
  3. Copy it with dd on Linux or with the USB image Tool on Windows to a USB flash drive.
    --------SNIP--------
WHEW! It worked

I'm talking about your install at the top of page 8 in this thread. The only difference is that I used kernel 4.5 final.

I must have DL'd 200GB of all the other links and nothing would boot into X, base system only. This one worked for me.

Thanks to all involved.

Now, , , I would like to dd this to a HD. It looks like I would need to have a blank HD formatted for MBR since the USBstick has two partitions on it. I mean it seems like you cannot simply add it to the backend of a drive that already has a distro on it as it would be adding two partitions in place of one. Am I making any sense here?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6794
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

mechanic wrote: WHEW! It worked
Great! :-)
mechanic wrote: I must have DL'd 200GB of all the other links and nothing would boot into X, base system only. This one worked for me.
Good to know. ;-)
mechanic wrote: Now, , , I would like to dd this to a HD. It looks like I would need to have a blank HD formatted for MBR since the USBstick has two partitions on it. I mean it seems like you cannot simply add it to the backend of a drive that already has a distro on it as it would be adding two partitions in place of one. Am I making any sense here?
Yes, you're right. You need a whole blank HD for the image. But ..... you could try to copy Ubuntu from the root partition on your USB flash drive to a partition on your hard disk.

In your root partition as root:

Code: Select all

cp -a * /media/ -- your name -- / -- partition on your hard disk --
-a corresponds to -dR --preserve=all
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
zappa2009
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by zappa2009 »

Hi all

You can with dd copy the USB-Partition to the Harddisk.

dd if=/dev/your-usb-partition of=/dev/your-harddisk-partition bs=1M Just make sure that you have bevore dd an empty partition.

After dd is ready use gparted for check an resize.

I have done this bevor with opensuse.img and fedore17.img. But beware you can damage your other OS (Aos4) if you have not an big enough empty partition !

So use Gparted and make an empty 10GB ext4 partitition and you can use dd or with cp to transfer your USB-Ubuntu to it.
And you must change your new root entry in /etc/fstab because UUID has changed !
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
User avatar
mechanic
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by mechanic »

zappa2009 wrote:
You can with dd copy the USB-Partition to the Harddisk.
Been busy with life stuff.

CP did not work at all. DD did the job. I used it to copy the USB partition 2 to my sda4 partition, however there is a problem.
On the USB and the HD as the system boots I get a message 'systemd failed to start Load Kernel Modules'.

Spent time looking that up and trying several cures but no luck. This happens on both the USB and the HD. Also, modprobe does not seem to work. It seems that either systemd can't find the modules or the systemd itself is broken.

Any hints?
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6794
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

mechanic wrote:Also, modprobe does not seem to work.
Any hints?
First, please try sudo depmod -va and then you can load a kernel module with sudo modprobe kernel_module.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
mechanic
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by mechanic »

The message 'systemd failed to start Load Kernel Modules' was caused by the file /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf.

It was trying to load 'lp', 'ppdev' and 'parport' modules which I can only guess do not have the drivers in the kernel and therefore could/would not load them. I blacklisted these, but that did not stop the message. I did comment # out these lines in the cups-filters.conf files which solved the problem.

The message 'systemd failed to START Load Kernel Modules' is very misleading.

Also in the cups-filters.conf file there is a line 'LOAD_LP_MODULE was 'yes' in /etc/default/cups'.
There is no cups file in /etc/default. I can only chalk this up to 'a new distro wierd crap'.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6794
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

mechanic wrote:The message 'systemd failed to start Load Kernel Modules' was caused by the file /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf.

It was trying to load 'lp', 'ppdev' and 'parport' modules which I can only guess do not have the drivers in the kernel and therefore could/would not load them. I blacklisted these, but that did not stop the message. I did comment # out these lines in the cups-filters.conf files which solved the problem.

The message 'systemd failed to START Load Kernel Modules' is very misleading.

Also in the cups-filters.conf file there is a line 'LOAD_LP_MODULE was 'yes' in /etc/default/cups'.
There is no cups file in /etc/default. I can only chalk this up to 'a new distro wierd crap'.
Many thanks for your explanation! :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
vox
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Belgrade Country:Serbia
Contact:

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by vox »

xeno74 wrote:
xeno74 wrote:
zappa2009 wrote: After a new login I was surprised. This is really a nice desktop.

Image
Thank you for the instructions.

It work, but these are the problems:

a) I copied usb to hdd, booted kernel from card and ... none of the ethernets was visible. With some thinkering it worked
b) There is a problem with the brltty package ... its difficult to remove, had to use synpatic. I am a social worker
and software for blind had to make a lot of mess
c) MATE seems laggy and often eats a lot of second core CPU, at least under 4.1.8 stable, seems things are better with 4.6 experimental

Image
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6794
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

xeno74 wrote: OK, here are the installation instructions:
  1. Download the image from the following link: Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img.7z
  2. Decompress the downloaded image with 7-Zip
  3. Copy it with dd on Linux or with the USB image Tool on Windows to a USB flash drive.

    For example with Linux:

    Code: Select all

    dd if=Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img of=disk drive ID
    In my case /dev/sdh:

    Code: Select all

    dd if=Amigaone_Ubuntu_16.04-Base-1.img of=/dev/sdh
  4. The ROOT partition is very small (1.8GB). You can increase it with GParted if you like. I have a 64GB USB flash drive. I increased the ROOT partition to 58.36GB.

    Image

    Image
  5. Turn on the AmigaONE X1000 and press F to enter the CFE prompt. Insert the USB flash drive.
  6. Next enter the following at the CFE> prompt (pressing enter after each line):

    Code: Select all

    setenv bootargs "root=the_ROOT_partition_on_your_usb_flash_drive quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
    I booted my X1000 with Debian before and I saw that the ROOT partition on the USB flash drive is /dev/sdd2.

    In my case:

    Code: Select all

    setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdd2 quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
    I use the stable longterm kernel 4.1.18 on my CF card to boot Ubuntu 16.04 on the USB flash drive. You can use an other kernel if you like.

    Code: Select all

    boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.1
    Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch) Amigaone tty1

    Amigaone login:
  7. The login details are as follows:

    Username of amigaone has the password amigaone
  8. Please configure your network interface with DHCP with the following command:

    Code: Select all

    sudo dhclient network_device
    You can figure out the correct network interface with /sbin/ifconfig -a.

    In my case:

    Code: Select all

    sudo dhclient enp6s5
  9. I installed the Lubuntu desktop with the following commands:

    Code: Select all

    sudo apt-get update

    Code: Select all

    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    - [this will take some time to complete depending on the speed of your internet connection]
  10. After that shutdown your AmigaONE X1000 with:

    Code: Select all

    sudo halt
    We need a xorg.conf on this system so we have to copy zappa2009's radeon xorg.conf file to /etc/X11 on the ROOT partition of the USB flash drive with an other system.

    Code: Select all

    cp X.org.conf/Xorg.conf.radeon /media/_your_username_/_disk_id_of_the_partition_on_the_USB_flash_drive_/etc/X11/xorg.conf
  11. Turn on the AmigaONE X1000 and press F to enter the CFE prompt. Insert the USB flash drive.
  12. Next enter the following at the CFE> prompt (pressing enter after each line):

    Code: Select all

    setenv bootargs "root=the_ROOT_partition_on_your_usb_flash_drive quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
    In my case:

    Code: Select all

    setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdd2 quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"

    Code: Select all

    boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.1
  13. The Lubuntu login screen appears. Please login.

    Username of amigaone has the password amigaone
Here you are. :-)

Image
xeno74 wrote: I booted my X1000 with Debian before and I saw that the ROOT partition on the USB flash drive is /dev/sdd2.
You can figure out with lsblk where your thumb drive is.

Please test the version 16.04 of ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Post Reply