(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

Image

Hi All,

I have really good news for you. :-) Spectre660 released two new ubuntu MATE 16.04 images for the AmigaONE X1000 yesterday. :-)

I think I have to buy a PCIe USB3 card for my AmigaONE X1000. :D
Spectre660 wrote: X1000 Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 Desktop Images with correct xorg.conf for the relevant graphics cards.
Should just be download,write and boot.
X1000 - Northern Islands Graphics cards (HD5000 and HD6000):

Ubuntu-Mate_16.04-X1000-NI.img.7z

X1000 -Southern Island Graphics Cards (HD7000 ,R7 and R9):

Ubuntu-Mate_16.04-X1000-SI.img.7z

PLEASE test these images.

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
papaoskar
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

[quote="xeno74"]Spectre660 released some images for the AmigaONE X1000, AmigaONE X5000, AmigaONE A1222, and for all Sams.
[*] Next enter the following at the CFE> prompt (pressing enter after each line):

Code: Select all

setenv bootargs "root=the_ROOT_partition_on_your_usb_flash_drive quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
In my case:

Code: Select all

setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdd2 quiet ro splash rootdelay=5"
I use the stable longterm kernel 4.1.19 on my CF card to boot ubuntu MATE 16.04 on the USB flash drive. You can use an other kernel if you like.

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-4.1
[/endquote]

Success up to here! Ihave also choosen the kernel 4.1.19 on my amiga one X1k . The result was (with different kernels) :
Loader:elf Filesystem:fat Dev:cf0 File:vmlinux-4.1 Options: (null)
Loading : Failed.
Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: Not an ELF-format executable
*** command status = -11

Now I am stuck! What to do now? All went well until the boot command. All kernels 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 ended with the same result.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote: Ihave also choosen the kernel 4.1.19 on my amiga one X1k . The result was (with different kernels) :
Loader:elf Filesystem:fat Dev:cf0 File:vmlinux-4.1 Options: (null)
Loading : Failed.
Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: Not an ELF-format executable
*** command status = -11

Now I am stuck! What to do now? All went well until the boot command. All kernels 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 ended with the same result.
Hi Papaoskar,

We had this problem here in the past. The solution is, to reformat the CF card. Would you mind reformating the CF card?

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
papaoskar
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

xeno74 wrote:
papaoskar wrote: Ihave also choosen the kernel 4.1.19 on my amiga one X1k . The result was (with different kernels) :
Loader:elf Filesystem:fat Dev:cf0 File:vmlinux-4.1 Options: (null)
Loading : Failed.
Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: Not an ELF-format executable
*** command status = -11

Now I am stuck! What to do now? All went well until the boot command. All kernels 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 ended with the same result.
Hi Papaoskar,

We had this problem here in the past. The solution is, to reformat the CF card. Would you mind reformating the CF card?

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Christian
Thank you for the quick answer. What puzzels me is the fact that I can still boot other kernels.
Making a backup of the the cf-card would probably not help. To which fs to format? It is a 4GB card, so it is to my logic necessesary to take FAT32. Using my Vista for formatting.
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

papaoskar wrote: Thank you for the quick answer. What puzzels me is the fact that I can still boot other kernels.
Making a backup of the the cf-card would probably not help. To which fs to format? It is a 4GB card, so it is to my logic necessesary to take FAT32. Using my Vista for formatting.
Please try to format it with FAT32. I use a 256MB CF card with FAT16.
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
User avatar
zappa2009
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by zappa2009 »

papaoskar wrote: Success up to here! Ihave also choosen the kernel 4.1.19 on my amiga one X1k . The result was (with different kernels) :
Loader:elf Filesystem:fat Dev:cf0 File:vmlinux-4.1 Options: (null)
Loading : Failed.
Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: Not an ELF-format executable
*** command status = -11

Now I am stuck! What to do now? All went well until the boot command. All kernels 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 ended with the same result.
Use two partitions on the CF card. 1 Fat16 (1Gb) and the rest with ext2
But why not use ext2 for the whole CF ? CFE can boot Kernels with

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -fs=ext2 cf0:vmlinux-4.1
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
papaoskar
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

zappa2009 wrote:
papaoskar wrote: Success up to here! Ihave also choosen the kernel 4.1.19 on my amiga one X1k . The result was (with different kernels) :
Loader:elf Filesystem:fat Dev:cf0 File:vmlinux-4.1 Options: (null)
Loading : Failed.
Could not load cf0:vmlinux-4.1: Not an ELF-format executable
*** command status = -11

Now I am stuck! What to do now? All went well until the boot command. All kernels 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.5 ended with the same result.
Use two partitions on the CF card. 1 Fat16 (1Gb) and the rest with ext2
But why not use ext2 for the whole CF ? CFE can boot Kernels with

Code: Select all

boot -elf -noints -fs=ext2 cf0:vmlinux-4.1
I did not mind and formatted the cf-card with two partitions with ext2 ! Luckily I had a backup of my cf-card and then copied all the content back to my newly formatted cf-card. After a test with cfe>dir I found all my kernels back!
I then made a new MENU_4_COMMMAND and I had at least my old working again! The loading of kernels now is functioning. Thank both for the hint with reformatting.
Will come back with my 16.04 problems.
papaoskar
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by papaoskar »

papaoskar wrote:
zappa2009 wrote:
papaoskar wrote:
I did not mind and formatted the cf-card with two partitions with ext2 ! Luckily I had a backup of my cf-card and then copied all the content back to my newly formatted cf-card. After a test with cfe>dir I found all my kernels back!
I then made a new MENU_4_COMMMAND and I had at least my old working again! The loading of kernels now is functioning. Thank both for the hint with reformatting.
Will come back with my 16.04 problems.
Here I am again: See the last screen reached with kernel 4.20 an the Mate-image from spectre with NI-suffix.
How to put pictures in here?
User avatar
zappa2009
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by zappa2009 »

papaoskar wrote: Here I am again: See the last screen reached with kernel 4.20 an the Mate-image from spectre with NI-suffix.
How to put pictures in here?
With the "Upload-attachent" beside the Options. You will see if you write an Posting ;)
X1000 RadeonHD5450 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-PC2-8500 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-5-15 OS4.1.6 & Lubuntu13.04/mintppc11 with Kernel 3.8.7/3.9
User avatar
xeno74
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:58 am

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 16.04 LTS

Post by xeno74 »

Image

YouTube videos in HD with ViewTube

Installation instructions for ubuntu MATE 16.04 PowerPC
  1. Install VLC and the VLC browser plugin with the following command:

    Code: Select all

    sudo apt-get install browser-plugin-vlc
  2. Start Firefox and install the add-on Greasemonkey
  3. Restart Firefox
  4. After that, add the ViewTube script to Greasemonkey
Image
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
Post Reply