Ubuntu Live Remix DVD now in stock at AmigaKit

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Ubuntu Live Remix DVD now in stock at AmigaKit

Post by daz »

JurassicC wrote:
mechanic wrote:
I thought you could do an install to a HD directly from the DVD once it was booted
and running.(?) In which case you would use the kernel on the DVD.

No :?:
You can install onto a harddrive. I have done that to a spare drive on sata4
Step two of the instructions say download the Kernel 3.10.15 from A-EON App Store and copy it onto a CF Card or USBStick.
That would be the download section of the A-Eon website at the moment, and the kernel is in several places on the DVD
The Instructions say nothing about using the kernel off the DVD which what I thought you would do and thats why I was getting confused.
There were different kernels for the liveDVD and for the installed version at one point, these have now merged, the docs are a little out of date. Sorry about that
The instructions dont mention how you get the Kernel onto a CF card, thats immediatly not recognised by the X1000, without having to use another computer.
See above
My liveDVD wouldn`t even boot with my CF Card formatted as FAT32 I had to take it out mod to FAT using windows Disk Management.
That's because CFE dosen't read FAT32, which isn't a problem as every CF/USB disk come preformatted with FAT (currently) and can therefore be used directly. You must have reformatted yours at some point.
None of this is mentioned in the instructions. For a non-free product thats been aimed at a linux on an Amiga newbie it needs a lot more work on the documentation.
Your points have been noted for the next version.
xeno74 wrote:Just for info: If you have installed Ubuntu from the DVD then you have to add your user to the group "audio" and "video". That's very important for the sound and 3D acceleration.

Christian
Why isn't this in the installation instructions ? The Task bar on the side has no icon for opening a shell. I've also been unable to find one in the distro sofar.
How do you open the shell to type in the above ?
It's not in the instructions as you need to do it from what I remember. Pat has sorted it. For a shell (terminal) Click the very top Ubuntu icon and type 'ter' in the search box.
Well this post has been done under Linux so at least thats good :)
Explore ! That the great thing about the live DVD, you can try things out without causing any damage.

Anyway glad to hear your up and running.

Regards
Darren
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

lucaricossa wrote:Hi everybody. I'm back with some questions. I could install from the live-cd onto an external HD. Then I cold-reboot, from the menu I hit "F" and get the CFE propmt. I type the commandlines :

setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdc1 quiet ro splash"

then

boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.14-rc1

It starts to load the kernel, then stops after some 10 seconds and nothing happens. sdc1 is the device name I get during the installation.
If I try to boot without the externalHD, I go up to the 2 penguins...
I put the HD in the USB connector after I am in CFE, and it recognizes it.

I am surely doing something wrong...
I see two possibilities, you could have different USB devices attached affecting your dive letters, make sure you put the Linux DVD in the lowest port so it is found first.

You may need to add a boot delay... for linux to use a USB disk to boot from it needs to find it, and it takes a little time for the USB system to start up.
try the following

setenv bootargs"root=/dev/sdc1 quiet ro splash rootdelay=10"

Let us know if this helps.

Reagrds
Darren
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

Thanks, Darren, I will try. Could it come from the fact that I disconnected the Amiga HD during the installation of Linux in order save it from unwanted degradation ?
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

now I get slightly farther, but it ends the same. It says :

usb 1-10: device descriptor read/64, error -110

It proposes other root devices, sda sd and sda1 (if I remember well). One of them should be my Amiga HD
lucaricossa

Post by lucaricossa »

I solved my problem reverting to the kernel 3.10.15. Here the steps.

Removed the CF card and inserted into an USB card-reader (else the Amiga side can't see it). Copied onto it the 3.10.15 kernel.
Then put back the CF in its socket on the motherboard.

Cold reboot. Key 'f' to stop the menu. When in the CFE propmt, I insert the USB external drive.
commands :

CFE> setenv bootargs "root=/dev/sdc1 quiet ro splash rootdelay=10"
CFE> boot -elf -noints -fatfs cf0:vmlinux-3.10.15

This way I can boot into my Ubuntu installation. I don't know why the latest kernel didn't work...

Then, I have done a new menu entry for CFE, but I have to go through the 'f' step before inserting the USB drive. Then I type only 'menu' and from the menu I can select my ubuntu boot.

Thanks
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

The new Ubuntu kernel 3.13.2 for the Live Remix DVD is coming. :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I received the DVD from Amigakit and had a working HDD install in about an hour; thanks much for that! I had read all the forum information prior to the install and had the CF card loaded with the kernal and a USB thumb drive ready to transfer the Installation PDF to another computer for printing. Perhaps a fully encapsulated, downloadable PDF with all the information (including the usermod for graphics and audio) from the forum would help out others.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

JurassicC wrote: sudo usermod -aG video your username

Why isn't this in the installation instructions ? The Task bar on the side has no icon for opening a shell. I've also been unable to find one in the distro sofar.
The "sudo usermod -aG video your username" should not be required for the Live DVD. This was required for an earlier Ubuntu installation as decribed in the complete Linux installation guide which is available for registered users from the A-EON Technology secure download area. The latest stable and experimental kernels are also available on this site. I've added an Edir note: to Christian's comment above.

With regards to accessing Terminal, click on the Dash home icon (top left icon) and type "terminal" into the search box. As soon as you start typring Ubuntu will report all applications, files and utilities that start with the letters that you are typing. Click on Terminal and the Terminal (shell) window should open.

You can also use the CTRL-Amiga-T keyboard shorcut.

As a test of your graphics card 3D capabilities type glxgears into the Terminal windows and you should see the "spinning gears" windows with 3 animated gear wheels rotating smoothly.

Note: For Linux novices there are plenty of free guides available on the web such as:- https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
PatW
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by PatW »

Hi there :)
JurassicC wrote:
xeno74 wrote:Just for info: If you have installed Ubuntu from the DVD then you have to add your user to the group "audio" and "video". That's very important for the sound and 3D acceleration.

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -aG audio your username

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -aG video your username
EDIT: I see Trevor just beat me to it ;)

I just want to confirm that the usermod step is _not necessary_ for the Live Ubuntu Remix. It takes care of audio and video on both the Live DVD and on installation to HDD :) The step is necessary however for installing most other PPC Linux distros.

In relation to the opening terminal application, I will update the instructions to make it clear how to open a terminal in Unity and how to copy the kernel to a CF card or USB stick. I am updating the ISO at the moment to bring it in line with the recent 12.04.4 release and I will also include a copy of the instructions on the root of the ISO.
Well this post has been done under Linux so at least thats good :)
That's great news, congratulations :D

Pat
YDL PowerStation / AmigaOne X1000 / IBM Intellistation POWER 285 / SAM 440EP / PS3 Debian
EFIKA Open Client / Mac Mini G4 / Amiga A1200 / Powerbook G4 15" / PowerMac G5 / Xserve G5
JurassicC
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by JurassicC »

PatW wrote: I will update the instructions to make it clear how to open a terminal in Unity and how to copy the kernel to a CF card or USB stick. I am updating the ISO at the moment to bring it in line with the recent 12.04.4 release and I will also include a copy of the instructions on the root of the ISO.
Pat
Excellent that should help others out too.. It might be worth mentioning in the CF-Card bit, that the LiveCD won't boot, if the CF-Card in the X1000 is FAT32 formatted.
This has got nothing to do with CFE as daz mentioned above.
I simply formatted my CF-Card as FAT32 under windows as it was being used in a TRUEIDE on an A1200 with 68K-SFS/00 prior to that.
Once it was FAT32 formatted I copied the kernel to it under windows. Popped it in the CF slot in the X1000.
Dropped into firmware with "F" started the livecd with batch -fsiso atapi 0.1:bootdvd0.1 and LiveCD would not complete loading.
As soon as I took the CF card out and formatted it as FAT under windows and tried again the LiveCD would load normally.

It might also be worth mentioning how to partition the CF-Card under the "LiveCD" prior to installing the distribution to the harddisc or perhaps add a partition CF step to the installer script.
You can't assume that everyones CF cards will still be factory FAT formatted especially if they have been used under windows.
AT A1200T 66MHz 060 330MHz 603e Mediator TX OS 4.1 Beta
X1000 OS4.1 Beta, X5020 OS4.1 Beta, A1XE OS4.1 Beta
AT A1200 68030 ACA1232, C= A1200 Typhoon MK2 68030
CD32 TF330 / CDTV 3.1 SCSI2SD 8MB FAST RAM / CD32 FMV