Installing Linux under X1000 for the first time

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Installing Linux under X1000 for the first time

Post by daz »

ggw wrote: I want to copy vmlinux-3.10.0 (and associated directory) to this CF card which is recognized by CFE.
Failing that (because I don't know how ... at the moment... to do it without some other computer + a CF reader[/writer?]... which I don't have), I still have vmlinux-3.10.0 on this USB thumbdrive.

It seems to me I can, without penalty, solve the CF transfer later. Right now I can use the thumbdrive to get Debian onto this recognized PATA drive. Later, after I figure out how to get vmlinux-3.10.0 onto the CF, I just change the ramdisk command line, put *it* in the menu, etc. and that's it... no more thumb drive required.

Any errors in that scheme?
That's the way to go. Once you've got a Linux install running, most (all?) of the currently available kernels will show your CF card as a disk on the desktop. F.ex, I've just booted my copy of the UbuntuDVD, and right at the bottom of the dash bar is a disk called 'LINUX' which is the CF card I use to store my kernels. It's just a matter of drag and drop to get new kernels on to it. (Not forgetting to eject function before rebooting - I haven't actually removed mine from my machine in months.)
mechanic wrote:
The PATA drive I installed now refuses to be recognized in the X1000, but is happily seen back over in my AmigaOne. I really want that to be the disk to hold my Linux OS...
Make sure the pata drive is set as master with the little jumper. If you are using a pata cable with 2 connectors you may have to try both of them.

The pata drive should be seen from CFE as ide1.0 .

AOS Media toolbox should see it as sb600ide.

Linux will see it as the first drive letter after the sata drives. If you have only one SATA drive then Linux will see it as /dev/sdb. If you have 3 SATA HDs then Linux will see it as /dev/sdd.

You can make a FAT partition on it (as 1st partition) to hold kernels. CFE will see it as ide1.0 and your root partition should be /dev/sdx2 where x is whatever drive letter gets assigned.
Note: CFE can only boot a kernel off of a HDD if the HDD is MBR partitioned! The Linux install doesn't care however and will work fine from both MBR and RDSK partitioned disks.
The USB keyboard problem is probably due to CFE having its own USB stack and when Linux takes over its stack does not recognize it until it gets plugged in again. That problem should(?) go away once you have a complete install.
This keyboard problem still bothers me, as I haven't seen it before. How and where are you connecting the keyboard?

Regards
Darren
ggw

Post by ggw »

@daz, Lyle, Christopher, mechanic, mrupp, xeno74, and Trevor,

I have Debian Linux running on a PATA drive with vmlinux-3.10.0 residing on the compact flash.

Thanks for all your upbeat help.

If anyone else undertakes this way, I hope they notify me via email at g@cjwyche.org and I will follow their thread.

At my leisure I'll provide a travelogue on my website.
George Wyche
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Good to hear you have Debian installed.

One quick qestion. Did you installed Squeeze or Wheezy? The only reason I ask is that AFAIRC 3D graphics acceleration did not work on Squeeze, but was fine on Wheezy. Most of the other distros support 3D acceleration including the new Live Ubuntu Remix which will be made available soon.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I saw the announcement of the LIVE Ubuntu 12.04 LTS DVD on the A-Eon news page available at the "Store," any news on the time frame here?
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

danbeaver wrote:I saw the announcement of the LIVE Ubuntu 12.04 LTS DVD on the A-Eon news page available at the "Store," any news on the time frame here?
Both Trevor Matthew have a copy of the most recent iso, so I expect 'any day now'! It's possible they have copies at Amiwest with them, but I don't know about that, as I'm not there :-(

Preliminary info lists the webshop as:

http://amistore.net

Regards
Darren
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Goodie!
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

zappa2009 wrote:...

The Installation is very nice written in the LinuxInstallation.pdf came with your X1000.
Perhaps only true if one ordered Linux with the X1000 order? I certainly got no such PDF, and am having difficulty finding such instructions, also reportedly in the Hyperion-Entertainment Downloads. Really?

I did get an "X1000_QuickStartGuide.pdf," which claims on page 7, "What is in the box?" that "In addition, there are additional guides and documentation, including Linux installation instructions ... in the Documentation drawer." Not quite true!
Aloha,
Bart
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Have you checked the secure download area on the A-EON Technology forum.

All documents are available for download for registered customers.

http://secure.a-eon.biz/download/

I presume you have registered with A-EON?

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'