Application to RIP DVD to X1000 Hard Drive

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Application to RIP DVD to X1000 Hard Drive

Post by amigasociety »

I have a few movies, DVDs, that I would like to RIP from my X1000 and then play these files direct from my hard drive.

What application on Amiga will allow me to do this?

I take it I can then use MPlayer or DVPLayer to view the moves.

I have found playback of DVD direct is too choppy if I do anything else on the X1000 at the same time so want to try RIPing and playing direct from HDD.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Application to RIP DVD to X1000 Hard Drive

Post by tonyw »

If the DVDs are not encrypted, you can simply copy the files using any convenient means.

If, as usual, the DVD is encrypted, then only an authorised application can read the DVD by putting the DVD drive into a secret mode. This functionality is included in the add-on libs that you plug into DVPlayer. I don't think MPlayer supports encrypted DVDs, but I could be wrong.
cheers
tony
Scriptjester
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Scriptjester »

Try http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?funct ... vobill.lha.

It's old and not all DVD will work.
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

amigasociety wrote:I have a few movies, DVDs, that I would like to RIP from my X1000 and then play these files direct from my hard drive.

I have found playback of DVD direct is too choppy if I do anything else on the X1000 at the same time so want to try RIPing and playing direct from HDD.

TJ
I would be surprised if there were an up to date DVD/Movie ripping application for OS4, as the codecs and DRM protection has seemed to change quite often over recent years. It would be nice if I were proven wrong though. I purchased "AnyDVD" for my Windows PC for that task, and would suggest that you do it on what ever is the fastest computer in your house, as that kind of work needs a fair amount of power to do quickly.

I use Handbrake (which is free) on both my Windows PC and my MacOSX computers, but if you want the DRM protection removed from the movie files that you are ripping from the DVD, then I can recommend "AnyDVD", which I have purchased and it has worked quite well for me on DVD's and Blu-Ray discs. It automatically removes the region protection and mounts the DVD.iso on your desktop (IIRC, my Windows computer has been down for months, and I have not figured out what my trouble is). You can then play the unprotected DVD.iso from your desktop, or use the unprotected DVD.iso to import the video & audio files into other programs. AnyDVD does not convert the movies into different formats though, like Handbrake does.

If you want to see a demonstration of just how much faster an Intel CPU is, when compared to even a dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, try converting a DVD to mp4 format to put on your video iPod, or iPhone. with the same settings my 3.0GHz Core2Quad Intel Windows Vista Ultimate computer will finish in about one third of the time it will take the dual 2.7GHz G5. Maybe that is the extra two cores helping out, plus the 0.3GHz extra clock speed. I am not sure how the results would be if I used a Core2Duo at 2.7GHz, compared to the dual 2.7GHz G5, but have heard that the Core2Duo's were much faster than the G5's. It would be interesting to see how the PA6T fares doing that kind of work. When I have my Debian Squeeze Linux PPC installation done on my X1000 I will see if there is a version of Handbrake that runs on PPC Linux. I would think that there should be, since there is the PPC version for MacOSX.

Handbrake would be a good program to use for a "Real World" benchmarking test for the X1000 while running Debian Squeeze PPC Linux.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
ggw

Post by ggw »

amigasociety wrote:I have a few movies, DVDs, that I would like to RIP from my X1000 and then play these files direct from my hard drive.

TJ
I confirm that, since you have a Mac, that HandBrake is a very convenient program to use. I used it, ftp'd the resultant MP4 (my choice) to my Amiga and it worked great. I was not dealing with an encrypted DVD.

ggw
George Wyche