What have you installed in 2nd 5.25' Drive Bay?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

What have you installed in 2nd 5.25' Drive Bay?

Post by amigasociety »

Under my stock DVD unit in the top bay of the X1000 there is a 2nd bay. Wondering what I will fill that with one day.

Has anyone already done so?

What did you install?

Any suggestions for future add-ons?

I take it there is already a power and data lead inside to add more devices or are those things we need to buy separate?

Figured they would have left 1 or 2 dangling inside for future use but I have not checked.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
328gts

Re: What have you installed in 2nd 5.25' Drive Bay?

Post by 328gts »

I've got a 3.5" floppy installed waiting to be used with my Catweasel MK4+ once I can free up a PCI slot when the onboard ethernet driver is ready.
hard part for me will be getting my 5.25" in there as well :twisted:
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

I have a startech hot swappable trayless sata drivebay in mine (2 actually as don't have the proper case). very usefull for backing up (hd's are cheap enough now and it's the fastest way to backup) and copying stuff between my x1000 and sam flex. you just have to do a warm reboot the have access to the insrted drive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-5-25in ... 047&sr=8-1
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

amigasociety wrote:Under my stock DVD unit in the top bay of the X1000 there is a 2nd bay. Wondering what I will fill that with one day.

Has anyone already done so?

What did you install?

Any suggestions for future add-ons?

I take it there is already a power and data lead inside to add more devices or are those things we need to buy separate?

Figured they would have left 1 or 2 dangling inside for future use but I have not checked.

tj
I believe the X1000 manual states that it has 4 SATA ports, so if only 2 of them are being used currently by the DVD drive and the hard drive, there should be another two SATA ports still free to connect to additional hard drives, or another optical drive that you could place in that second 5.25" drive bay.

I will most likely save that space for a floppy drive to connect to my Catweasel Mk4 card, as soon as a free PCI slot is available for use, when either the onboard Sound, or Ethernet driver is completed and the corresponding PCI card can be removed to make room for my Catweasel Mk4 card. I have a dual floppy drive, that has a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives built into a single 5.25" device. I will have to re-read the Catweasel documentation to find out if it can read/write Amiga 880kb floppy disks using a standard PC floppy drive, or if it needs to be connected to an original Amiga 880kb floppy drive.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

I have two DVD optical drive attached (& two SATA HDD) Although I like the idea of adding a swapable drive bay. I think I might use a PATA drive tray I have spare. It's swapable (but not hot plugable).

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'