Key Combo to Cold Boot X1000 ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

Key Combo to Cold Boot X1000 ?

Post by amigasociety »

I know of the warm reboot Ctrl Amiga Amiga but is there a key combo to cold reboot a X1000 so I don't have to use power button all the time?

Playing with DVPlayer settings and stuff, system locked up, and past lock ups I always use power button since warm reboot is non responsive.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Key Combo to Cold Boot X1000 ?

Post by Petrol »

Cold reboot keys are Ctrl+Alt+Alt Gr.

Cordialy,
Petrol.
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Petrol wrote:Cold reboot keys are Ctrl+Alt+Alt Gr.

Cordialy,
Petrol.
What is the Gr. ??

I guess this is where using my stock AmigaOne keyboard would come into play <grin>.

I am using a Logitech Wireless Solar at the moment so my Alt keys, left and right ones, are the Amiga keys. I have only one Windows key I see on this keyboard which I believe is now acting as a ALT key but I don't see one on the right.

I guess I should be using the AmigaOne keyboard in these cases unless some key on the right of the keyboard acts as the Right Alt?? There is a Function key on the right next to my Alt key.

Will try that one.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

Some keyboards have an "Alt" and an "Alt Gr" key but on an amiga they're just left & right alt keys... Seems that lots of windblows users don't know left from right so they had one labeled as Alt Gr to stop their brains overheating ;)
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Just be aware in certain types of crash situations the keyboard gets locked out so you'll always need to use the power off button at these times. I can't remember the last time this happened but I'm sure it does.

I remember when my older Amiga models would crash at times and you could sometimes repeatedlly use the key combinations and eventually it would reset, I'm not sure this applies to our newer machines.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

If I happen to be typing in a shell whern I'd like to reset, I just type "reboot" into the shell.
For a quick reboot, "reboot fast" reloads the OS without reloading kickstart.

But if something has locked up the machine, I would much prefer to press the reset
button than to cycle the power supply.
On the "official" case it is behind the door, on the right edge of the opening.
It is easy to miss if you don't know where to look for it. That is a "hard" reset that
will restart everything just like power on, without the need to cut the power.

Have Fun,
LyleHaze
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

Slayer wrote:I remember when my older Amiga models would crash at times and you could sometimes repeatedlly use the key combinations and eventually it would reset, I'm not sure this applies to our newer machines.
That does not apply to any USB or PS/2 based platforms. The old 68k Amigas had custom keyboard interfaces with special hardware lines to make that kind of thing possible.
ExecSG Team Lead
ggw

Post by ggw »

@Lyle

Thanks for pointing out the "inside door reset button". I've had this X1000 since June, and did RTFM, but somehow missed this.

I'll give its action a try under the several conditions that face me when I have mplayer set to my favorite internet radio station, GIMP is on the other screen, and I have the temerity to start switching between iBrowse and Timberwolf.
George Wyche
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

Regarding reset: Does anyone know where the soft/cold reset are being handled? Input.device? hid.driver? Some input handler that depends on that input.device hasn't crashed?

I was just wondering because I noticed that all HID tasks run at priority 10 while input.device runs at pri 20. Why is that? I mean, any task above pri 10 would then cause all input to stall even if input.device itself runs at pri 20. Cannot see any reason for that.

Can I change the HID task pri somehow? If not, I will make a hack that increases their priority because as an experiment it works perfectly fine at pri 100 when changed temporarily using Scout.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Deniil wrote:I noticed that all HID tasks run at priority 10 while input.device runs at pri 20. Why is that? I mean, any task above pri 10 would then cause all input to stall
No *user* program should have a priority above 5! I think 6+ is reserved for the OS & device drivers.