Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

Re: Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by AmigaDave »

LyleHaze wrote:AmigaDave,
I'm not "the expert", but I'll offer what help I can.

DVI Support: I am using the AmigaKit supplied video card with an HDMI connection, and have had no troubles so far.
I have a DVI to HDMI cable here that I'm using with another device, so worst case, you should be able to get going that way.
But the next answer might help faster..

Monitor Modes: When the OS is installed, the "maximum video mode" must be selected, so a reasonable mode had to be chosen for you.
I believe the easiest fix might be to go to prefs/screenmode, click on the "Monitors" tab, and make sure "Detect Settings automatically" is checked.
If everything goes as planned, that should adapt your settings to your monitor without any chance of making mistakes.

Lyle Hazelwood
Well, that did not go well.

I did as you suggested above and clicked on the "Detect Settings Automatically" check box on the Monitors tab of the Preferences Screenmode program, which told me a reboot would be required to detect the monitor and change the monitor file. So I accepted all the requesters and clicked on "Reboot".

When it booted back up the screen looked like crap and all of the Radeon screen resolutions were gone and the only resolution that works now is "Bootup in VGA", or something like that.

Now what?

I looked for the OS4.1.5 install CD/DVD, but one was not included in my shipment. So I can't even do a clean re-install to start over.

Just sent a message to AmigaKit asking if that was an oversight, or perhaps the OS4.1.5 install CD/DVD's are not back from the company that is mastering them yet.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

@AmigaDave

I can confrim that DVI works fine. I have my AmigaONE X1000 connected to a 24" BenQ wide screen monitor running ay 1920x1080x32 bit.

As I mentioned earlier, AmigaKit would have used a generic monitor setting when they installed AmigaOS 4.1.
If the automatic settings dosen't work with your Apple monitor then, as other have suggested you can manually edit your monitors refresh rates.
Look up your monitor manual (or check the tech spec on the web).

You will find that every monitor has its own frequency settings and an optimum recommended screen sizes.
e.g. The specifications for my BenQ monitor are:-

Screen Size 24.0"W
Optimum Resolution 1920x1080
Color 16.7 million
Horizontal Frequency 20 - 83 (KHz)
Vertical Frequency (Hz) 50 - 76 (Hz)

Therefore:

Vsync minimum = 50Hz
Vsync maximum =75Hz
Hsync minimum = 20000 Hz
Hsync maximum = 83000 Hz

You can either edit the info in the Prefs/Screen Mode - Monitors . You can also manually add Screen resoutions, but to be honest I have not found this to be an issue with most of my monitors.
Screen Mode Preferences - Monitors
Screen Mode Preferences - Monitors
ScreenMode1.jpg (65.3 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Screen Mode Preferences - Available Modes
Screen Mode Preferences - Available Modes
ScreenMode0.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Or you can edit your Monitor icon "Tool Types" (Icon information) in Dev/Monitors/Radeon RV730
Attachments
Monitor "Tool Types"
Monitor "Tool Types"
Monitor_Icon_Tool_types.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
I'm just Breezin'
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Dave, I believe all you need to do if the auto detect is not working is uncheck that box and set your own resolutions as Trevor noted.

Maybe a uncheck of the auto detect box the other selections will re-appear for you to choose and tweek to your monitors settings?

I know I had to play with mine a bit. Autodetect worked for me and it saw I could do the 1920 x 1080 so I went with it.

I think when I unchecked the box I then saw the original settings again and played with a 1600x1080 or something.

But yes, would be nice to find out when we will get the CDs.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Yip, I was about to say the same thing (but I wanted to examine my setups first to verfiy) to salvage this situation.

Uncheck that option for "Detect settings automatically"

Go to you devs/monitors drawer and single click your Radeon AV790 (could be different number) icon with left button then hold down right mouse button and select information, enter the icon tab and just examine what is written there

I run all my Amigas in 1680x1050 so I hear ya ;)

Just add this line

MODE=1680x1050@60 (use 60 if the others listed use 60 otherwise use what has already been listed)

save and reboot and then go to your screen prefs and select it! I always use 16bit too but hey, that's personal choice

good luck but this should work - check out Trevors last picture insert to see exactly what is in there!

Here is my tooltypes, I decided to grab them

CMPLENGTH=12
BOARDTYPE=Radeon RV790
(DDCMODE=ALL)
VSYNCMIN=56
VSYNCMAX=60
HSYNCMIN=30000
HSYNCMAX=81000
MODE=640x480@60
MODE=800x600@60
MODE=1024x768@60
MODE=1280x720@60
MODE=1280x800@60
MODE=1280x960@60
MODE=1280x1024@60
MODE=1440x900@60
MODE=1600x900@60
MODE=1600x1200@60
MODE=1680x1050@60
MODE=1920x1080@60
(FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes)
INTERRUPT=Yes
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

I looked for the OS4.1.5 install CD/DVD, but one was not included in my shipment. So I can't even do a clean re-install to start over.
According to AmigaKit the CD's should be in soon, however I believe they included a copy of the AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 iso on the Workbench of "First Contact" systems. Use AmiDVD to burn this iso to a CD-ROM. You can also mount the iso under OS4 without buring it to a CD (to copy files etc).

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

trevordick wrote:AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 iso on the Workbench of "First Contact" systems. Use AmiDVD to burn this iso
That's good to know!

insert a blank reasonable quality cdrom (skip to the very end of this post for a wee burning tip)

to burn this iso, go to amidock extras, and double click AmiDVD so it opens
click the little file selection icon beside the word imagefile on the upper left hand corner of the gui
navigate to the iso image select it and go ok (not sure where it would reside but click on Volumes then Sys: which should be a good start - if they were really on to it they might have placed it in the AmiDVD directory which will be right there (in the initial listed directory) before clicking on Volumes if you know what I mean)
don't touch anything else it isn't applicable to burning complete self contained iso images
enter tab 2 burn image
your cd/dvd drive should already be selected unless you installed 2 if you did the latter select the one you want to use
change the speed to 8x CD, this will ensure the best chance of an error free production
select Burn CD-R and wait for the process to finish, it won't take long, try to resist testing multitasking during this period :D

Tip:
Just worth mentioning, occassionally AmiDVD will just fire up an error code or similair just reset and try again - to prevent this in almost every case whenever you go to burn or create an image insert a blank cdrom/dvdrom and reset the amiga - go directly to AmiDVD and do your business... end of story
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

LyleHaze wrote:
Any luck with the "Detect Settings Automatically" option in the sys:prefs/screenmode Monitors tab?

LyleHaze
I replied in a different thread that I tried to use the "Detect Settings Automatically" check box on the Monitors Tab of the Preferences Screen Mode application and it erased all of my "Radeon" screen resolution choices from the Screen Mode window and left me with only the Fake Picasso96 and Boot to VGA screen modes after a reboot. I guess the Detect Settings Automatically failed to recognize my monitor connected via the VGA cable. Not sure why it deleted all of the pre-existing Radeon screen modes and only left me with the other modes I just mentioned. My screen looks like crap now and the dock and other things on the screen overlap, which makes them hard to use, if not impossible for some of them.

I am guessing the OS4.1.5 Install CD's have not yet been shipped to AmigaKit from what ever company is producing them, as such Install CD was not included in my package with the rest of the X1000 items. This means that I have no way to re-install OS4.1.5 and fix the mistake I made with a clean new installation. I will have to check to see if a download of 4.1.5 is available here for registered owners.

I am afraid that I am going to make many more "Bone Head" mistakes, before I get used to OS4 and remember what I used to know about AmigaOS3.x. It does look familiar, so hopefully some of my memories will return. I was happy to see DiskMaster2 in the Utilities drawer, as that was my favorite file manager 15+ years ago.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Please check your harddrive partition AmigaDave, Trevor is saying the iso might be there! Also please read the rest of the posts in this thread since this insight since we talk about other aspects.

And do not worry about how many questions you face, we're not leaving until you get everyone sorted... no worries! :D
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

AmigaKit is the BEST company at customer service that I have ever done business with. PERIOD!

I recommend that every one go buy something from them just to see for yourself how great they are at taking care of their customers. They also have a great selection of Amiga products, considering the scarcity of companies and individuals that are manufacturing any Amiga hardware these days and the almost non-existence of any commercial software developers writing any Amiga software.

Thanks Matthew & Chris for handling my recent shipping problems so quickly and professionally. You are the best!
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

AmigaDave wrote:This means that I have no way to re-install OS4.1.5 and fix the mistake I made with a clean new installation.
Hold it right there!

Do not make a complete re-install to solve this minor problem. Only inferior platforms have to resort to such drastic measures :-D.

In all likelyhood, the only file you need to fix is your monitor file (or actually only its icon tool types) within Devs/Monitors. Make sure it does not have any tooltype with DDCMODE, or if it does, that it is deactivated by being enclosed in parentheses. Then make sure the rest of the tooltypes match your monitor specs (refer to Trevor's and Slayer's posts above for explanations). An important thing to know is that for a specific mode to work, it is not necessarily enough to have it in the tooltypes, you also have to have the frequency tooltypes set up correctly, especially the HSYNCMAX one. If this isn't high enough for the mode you want, the mode will be disregarded. (The exact calculation is out of this scope, but just make sure you use the number found in the specs of your monitor.)

On another note: Not sure if this applies to you, but the thread has mentioned both using DVI->HDMI adapters and trying the automatic settings detection, and these two are, AFAIK, incompatible, as the DDC mode detection will not work through such an adapter. Just in case anybody tries that.

Best regards,

Niels