Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by AmigaDave »

Hello all fellow X1000 owners & beta-testers. First let me vent my frustrations against FedEX for their terrible handling of my X1000 package and mistakes made in the Customs Clearance process, which delayed the delivery of my X1000 by an additional day (could have been worse and taken several days). Actually I would have preferred the delivery to take another week or two, if it meant that it would have been taken care of better by the FedEX and/or Customs staff.

My X1000 arrived around noon today, Hurray! The box it arrived in looked like the FedEX employees took turns dropping it off different trucks and dragging it through the dirt, as it no longer had any corners to what must have been at one time considered a "Box". It looked more like a brown cardboard heap that had been re-wrapped in cellophane to keep it from falling apart. The polystyrene foam inserts "Styrofoam" were in pieces from obvious impacts to the once rectangular box. I am amazed that the AmigaOne keyboard that was taped on top of the X1000 case box, survived the trip without being cracked, or crushed.

As I started to unpack the boxes, I knew that something was wrong right away, as tilting the box produced the sound of something loose inside of the X1000 case. Not a good sign and that, coupled with the terrible condition of the outside of the packaging, gave me an immediate sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. First I unpacked the keyboard and the extra RAM simms (a late addition to my order, which is why they were not installed inside the X1000). Everything looked okay so far.

Next I opened the box holding the X1000, the Fractal case box and noticed that the foam inserts were in pieces and something was loose inside the case. The top of the case has two dimples above where the optical drive is located. I removed the side panel and found the video card loose on the bottom of the case. Worse than that, the hard drive and the three caddies below it were dislocated, as if someone had stepped on the hard drive forcing it down into the caddies below it and dislocating three of them as well. It was sitting at an odd angle, but still connected to the SATA cable and power cable. The cage that holds the drive caddies was bent and scratched. My first thought was "how could the X1000 box have been dropped so hard that it could have caused such damage to occur?", but then I realized that it could not have happened that way. The damage had to have been caused by someone with the case open by exerting a great deal of weight, or pressure on top of the hard drive in it's caddie. Like someone stepped on it, or pushed down on it with their hand with a pressure of 75 to 100 pounds, or a sharp blow that imparted as much force. Who ever did it, knew that it had happened, either intentionally, or by accident, but closing the case back up and continuing with the shipping process, was obviously intentional and not an accident.

I am sure no one at AmigaKit would do anything like that, so it only leaves two other possible suspects, one of the FedEX employees, or the Customs Agent that did the clearance procedure.

Enough whining and complaining, but as you can imagine, I am very upset and angry about this situation. I have started the process to file a claim against FedEX and contacted AmigaKit about the problem, so I am sure it will be cleared up in due course.

Now to my questions:

1. Does AmigaOS4.1.5 support the DVI port on any video cards that are supported? When I hooked up my X1000 for testing (after getting over the shock of finding the damage), I first tried the DVI port and found that the initial Splash screen of brushed metal X1000 logo was displayed, but after that the screen went black and the power indicator of the monitor just flashed three times every 10 seconds or so. I was testing it on a 20-inch Apple Cinema Display, that only has one input that is a DVI connector, so I could not use a VGA cable with that monitor. I then turned the X1000 off and hooked it up to a 20-inch Dell widescreen LCD, using a VGA cable and it showed both the Splash screen and OS4.1.5 booting up just fine. I had considered using the X1000 next to my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac, using a DVI KVM switch to share one of the two Apple 20-inch Cinema Displays and a USB keyboard, but if OS4.1.5 only supports VGA output from the included Radeon video card, I will have to re-think my setup.

2. When testing, the default video resolution that OS4.1.5 started up with was a 1024x768 screen size. I went into preferences and looked for a Radeon screen setting that matched the default Dell resolution of 1680x1050, but it was not available. Is there some way to create a new Radeon screen setting, so I can use the optimal screen resolution with my 20-inch Dell LCD monitor? If yes, how do I accomplish this new setting, without blowing up my monitor (I have always been cautious about making new monitor files on any of my computers, as I do not wish to ruin any monitors in the process by having an incorrect frequency setting).

3. I was going to contact AmigaKit while I was testing the X1000, but could not login to my AmigaKit account using either OWB, or IBrowse web browsers, as both of them gave me errors when trying to input my login name and password. The error message said something about California certificates. I tried several times, but could not get either browser to recognize or allow the certificates being used by the AmigaKit website, the USA store version of their site. Not being too knowledgeable about html, or web certificates, I don't know if I was doing anything wrong, or need to set up my X1000 differently. Any ideas?

I am sure I will have tons of questions over the next few weeks or months, so please be patient with me. If you are tired of my questions after a few days, just ignore them and let someone else answer. Thanks.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Questions from a new X1000 owner and new OS4.x user

Post by LyleHaze »

AmigaDave,
So sorry to hear about your delivery problems. Hopefully it will all be straightened out soon.

I'm not "the expert", but I'll offer what help I can.

DVI Support: I am using the AmigaKit supplied video card with an HDMI connection, and have had no troubles so far.
I have a DVI to HDMI cable here that I'm using with another device, so worst case, you should be able to get going that way.
But the next answer might help faster..

Monitor Modes: When the OS is installed, the "maximum video mode" must be selected, so a reasonable mode had to be chosen for you.
I believe the easiest fix might be to go to prefs/screenmode, click on the "Monitors" tab, and make sure "Detect Settings automatically" is checked.
If everything goes as planned, that should adapt your settings to your monitor without any chance of making mistakes.

AmigaKit Certificates: I have the same issue here. At least I can confirm that it's not specific to you.
[follow-up] There appears to be a problem with OWB and SOME websites certificates. Some folks are just ignoring the warning, others are using other browsers. I notified AmigaKit of security certificate problems back in December but never got a reply.

I hope these tips help. If I am wrong on any counts, I expect I'll be corrected soon enough.
Enjoy the new machine!

Lyle Hazelwood
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I did this to fix my OWB experience and never looked back (I don't use the other port)

In a shell type:
setenv save WEBKIT_IGNORE_SSL_ERRORS 1

Then type:
setenv save OWB_USER_AGENT "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0 rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0"

Infact just cut and paste it in and hit enter
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

AmigaDave wrote: I am sure I will have tons of questions over the next few weeks or months, so please be patient with me. If you are tired of my questions after a few days, just ignore them and let someone else answer. Thanks.
I can sense an extraordinary new project looming in the mind of AmigaDave

Yes, the starting collaboration and the beginnings of a New User (to both HW and OS) beginning with an X1000 (partially applicable to the SAM series too) FAQ document ;)
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

AmigaDave

Sorry to hear about your Fedex problems. Unfortunately, it is not just related to Fedex (although to be honest my A1-X1000 arrived in NZ in pretty good shape). As a collector of all things "Amiga" I have received many damaged packages in the past. Some due to the poor packaging of the shipper but other due to the poor handling during shipment. :-(

With regards to your initial screen set-up, AmigaKit will have selected a generic monitor setting (not knowing what monitor you will be using). You have two options. Let AmigaOS4 try to identify your monitor modes autonmtically, or manually edit your monitor prefs. If you supplu the hame and model type of your monitor I'm sure someone will be able to help if the auto settings don'r work.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

Thanks for the replies and answers.

Can someone confirm that DVI output works under AmigaOS4.1.5? I am still not sure from the answers given so far in this thread, but it looks like one person is using a DVI to HDMI adapter, so that would mean that his DVI is working.

When I first tried my X1000 with one of my 20" Apple Cinema Display's that only has a DVI connector built-in, the initial X1000 brushed metal splash screen showed up, but when OS4.1.5 started to boot, the screen went black and did not come back. I turned off the X1000 and switched to a Dell LCD with a VGA cable and it displayed just fine. The video card provided with the "First Contact" X1000 systems has three ports. DVI, VGA and HDMI, so it must be a different video card than the one used by the guy that stated he is using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

As for me thinking of an "extraordinary new project", let me learn how to use OS4.1.5 first, before I can think about starting any projects. My main goal for the next couple of years is to improve my meager programming skills and start producing software for OS4.x, MorphOS3.x, AROS and AmigaOS3.x.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
SteveH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by SteveH »

Hi,
I am using DVI under OS4.1.5 (connected to a AOC monitor using a 3m Gold Plated DVI-D to DVI-D cable). I can confirm it works fine.
Steve
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Confused on the comment DVI not being support? Right now I am driving my 27" Samsung monitor via DVI-D to DVI-D cable from DVI port on X1000 to rear of my monitor at full 1920 x 1080 resolution.

tj
Last edited by amigasociety on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

AmigaDave wrote:Can someone confirm that DVI output works under AmigaOS4.1.5? I am still not sure from the answers given so far in this thread, but it looks like one person is using a DVI to HDMI adapter, so that would mean that his DVI is working.

..... The video card provided with the "First Contact" X1000 systems has three ports. DVI, VGA and HDMI, so it must be a different video card than the one used by the guy that stated he is using a DVI to HDMI adapter.
I was not clear enough, I apologize.
The point I tried to make is that DVI and HDMI are similar enough that a simple cable can connect from one to the other. (no active parts required)
I am using a cable like that to connect a DVI output from another computer to an HDMI input on my monitor. I am NOT using it on my X1000.
My graphics card includes all three outputs, and I am using the HDMI output to connect to my HDMI monitor. Unfortunately I do not have a DVI monitor
to test for you.

Any luck with the "Detect Settings Automatically" option in the sys:prefs/screenmode Monitors tab?

LyleHaze
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

And to fall in line yes, I too use DVi too, only ever connected anything via VGA or other for testing

The X1000 is connected from back of RadeonHD 4890 to 24" Samsung SyncMaster 2494HS 50000:1 Dynamic Contrast

Seems a good monitor, Sam Flex here is connected to 22" AOC monitor