How do I run CD32 games?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Sam

How do I run CD32 games?

Post by Sam »

Okay - I have a lot of CD32 games - how do I run them?

I have downloaded E-Uae latest version but I don't see any option for CD32. I know we have the emulation drawer in 4.1.5 but that just seems to have 4 ROMs in it, a WB 3.1 disk and nothing else. Also - where is RunInUAE?

Thanks.

---
Sam
Last edited by Sam on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cameraman

Re: How do I run Cd32 games?

Post by cameraman »

Runinuae should be installed as an extra from your OS4 cd...
I do not know how to set it up for CD32 games, I'll let someone else answer that!
I've never met an Amiga I did not like...
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

You need to install RunInUAE, which comes with AmigaOS4 as an optional "Third Party Contribution". That is either done when finishing installation of AmigaOS4, or else you can do it later using the "Extras Installer" (?) which can be found on the left side of your AmiDock bar at the bottom of your screen. If you have deleted this installer icon, then I seem to recall that just inserting your OS4 CD will show a suitable icon on the Workbench.

RunInUAE's guide should tell you everything you need to know, but here is a description anyway:

To play a CD32 game, you need to follow these steps:
1. Start RunInUAE if it is not already running, and open it's window (by double-clicking it's Workbench AppIcon) if it has been minimised.
2. Insert the CD32 game into the CD drive.
3. With RunInUAE's window active (i.e. blue window border), press the right mouse button (I suggest moving the mouse pointer to the top of the screen first, but that is optional). That should open a menu.
4. From the menu you need to choose Control E-UAE > Boot CD32 from > CD0: (real drive).

You should now find that a new screen is opened by E-UAE for the CD32 emulation. By default the arrow keys act as the joypad/joystick, and the Right Alt or Right Ctrl key is fire. When you have finished with that game, you can quit E-UAE by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Q.

By the way, you will probably find that the game is NOT shown full-screen. To achieve that you need to tell RunInUAE to use a default screen size of 640x480 (see the Settings menu). EDIT: This will be fixed in the next release of RunInUAE, so that you don't need to worry about this bit!

Please beware that CD32 compatibility is not that great in my experience. I will quote RunInUAE's manual:
From my collection of CD32 games, I have found that only 66% of them actually
work. This is due to limitations of E-UAE.

There is no CD32 joypad emulation (!) only plain joystick emulation, so you
won't be able to play games which need the CD32's extra buttons. This is a
limitation of E-UAE.

Emulation of CD sound playback needs the analogue sound output of your CD drive
connected to an (internal) input on your sound card, otherwise you won't hear
any CD music tracks.

While you can change the "frame skip" of the CD32 emulation, you cannot save it,
nor can you change other settings (on a per-game) basis. This is due to
RunInUAE not being able to easily identify which game is in the CD drive.
NOTE: Most likely the official X1000 does not come with suitable analogue sound connections from the CD drive (as such drives are now extremely rare). However, it *may* now be possible to hear CD sounds (music) without analogue sound connections, as someone recently released a CD digital sound patch. But I have not yet tested this.

P.S. I am the author of RunInUAE.
Last edited by ChrisH on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately I don't have an OS4 CD yet so will have to wait - but thanks for your guide! :)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Sam wrote:Thanks Chris. Unfortunately I don't have an OS4 CD yet so will have to wait - but thanks for your guide! :)
That's strange. Didn't it come with your X1000??? :-(

You COULD download & install RunInUAE from OS4Depot.net ... HOWEVER I do not advise this (until the r7 release of RunInUAE anyway), because currently the X1000's OS4 CD has a slightly modified version of RunInUAE that works-around a problem with RadeonHD graphics cards.
Sam

Post by Sam »

No it didn't. I emailed Trevor about it and quite a few bits and pieces are on the CD such as the media drawer and not in the standard AmigaKit install.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@Sam
Hyperion *should be able to* allow you guys to download (and burn) an ISO of the First Contact CD. That would immediately solve your problem. I suggest asking Trevor if this could be done.
Sam

Post by Sam »

That would be nice but I think we should be getting teh Cd next week anyway. Somethign to bare in mind for the next batch though - you would want the transition from original Amiga to new to be as seamless as possible.
amigakit
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by amigakit »

I will follow up with this tomorrow with our Technician.

Sam: it is best to contact me directly with this type of feedback (not necessarily Trevor).
Customer Help & Support: http://www.amigakit.com/help

www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store
Sam

Post by Sam »

amigakit wrote:I will follow up with this tomorrow with our Technician.

Sam: it is best to contact me directly with this type of feedback (not necessarily Trevor).
Sorry - I was emailing Trevor about something else and just mentioned it. Like I said - not a problem as I will wait for the CD to be sent out. I take it we should be getting them next week?